Static in receiver during phone calls

kris0l0gy

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to jump in here with my first post asking for help. But I'm at my wits ends with this. All my internet research has turned up nothing. Hopefully someone here has some insight.

I recently purchased my iPhone about 2 weeks ago. I've had no problems, I was highly impressed with the clarity of calls after switching from my Motorola Razor that I had for almost 3 years. Just recently in the past few days there has been terrible static coming from the receiver during phone calls. It doesn't sound like interference static or static from a bad connection, it sounds more like static coming from the phone itself. And the person on the other line doesn't hear any of the static, it's only on my end.

This started happening after I first used headphones with my iPhone. The earbuds which came with my iPhone were basically dead (I assume from them being wound up in the box the wires got destroyed so static was unbearable when using them) so I have been using a separate set of earbuds and the sound while listening to music, watching movies or playing games is clear as day. Also the sound coming from speaker is clear. I've also tested switching during calls from the receiver to speaker phone. While on speaker phone it is clear, but when listening through the receiver there is terrible static. I've also tried removing my soft Speck case and that doesn't seem to remedy the problem either. Also my phone is shut off at night, so it has never been left on for very long periods of time.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be? My only thought could be a faulty receiver, which I hope is not the case since I live quite far from an Apple store and that will be the solution AT&T tells me when I go to them for some advice. But if that's the case, it looks like I will be taking a road trip this week!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Have fun on your road trip! ;)

It sounds like this is a hardware issues for sure. Apple will be more than happy to give you a new phone. As long as the damage was not done by a drop or any other abuse.

kris0l0gy

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your input! I think it will be worth the trip, like I said I've had it for less than 2 weeks and it's hardly been used. Also, I'm still under my 30 day warranty through AT&T where the phone can be replaced if something is faulty that is not user-caused. So it shouldn't be a problem.

kris0l0gy

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Just thought I'd give an update...

Went to the store and met with a genius. The final outcome was 'distortion heard in receiver while making phone calls'. I wasn't there for longer than 10 minutes and they replaced my phone. The only loss I had was the $15 screen protector I had bought and had to replace. But worse things could happen.

Thanks for your input!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Just thought I'd give an update...

Went to the store and met with a genius. The final outcome was 'distortion heard in receiver while making phone calls'. I wasn't there for longer than 10 minutes and they replaced my phone. The only loss I had was the $15 screen protector I had bought and had to replace. But worse things could happen.

Thanks for your input!

Glad it worked out well for you!

jdtoyou

Nov 11, 2008
Visit site
I just started having the same problem but I've had my phone for 2+ months and the problem just started. Hmm....Happened on and off about 5-6 times during a 25 minute call tonight.

jdtoyou

Nov 11, 2008
Visit site
Update...went to the Genius Bar today and was told it was an AT&T network problem, not a phone problem. They said they have been talking to lots of other Genius Bars/stores and have been hearing similar reports of similar problems. I don't know....???:confused::confused:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2