Start Iphone 7 as new but still need old data without using backup

I

iMore Question

I had several battery drainage problems with my previous Iphone 5 and then 6.
Basically it works fine for a while then the motherboard get somehow damaged and misscomunicate with the battery, causing sudden drops of battery (from 70% to 30%) or even the phone to switch off when above 20% and a full battery charge won't last me more then few hours in total.
The only solutions to avoid carrying the same problems to new devices, so I was told, is to set my new Iphone as a new.
However I'd still like to restore some old datas, such as photos, health data, contacts, wifi passwords, email calendars, etc...
Which is the best way to proceed?
By logging in to my icloud will I restore everything back on my phone?
Is that safe enough?
Any advice is welcome as I don't really want to mess up another phone with some old bug.

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iCloud stores the majority of the information you mentioned so therefore, configuring the device with iCloud after setting the device as new should prove to be sufficient, in my opinion.

Last edited:

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
D is exactly right. This is how I setup my devices. If you log into your iCloud, you should still have access to those items you mentioned.

Duca_Conte

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
What would I lose then?
Photos? I don't think health data is on Icloud.

Is that the safest way to set a new phone as new in order to get rid of some potential bug that I've been carrying over for the past 2-3 Iphones?

Any other suggestions?

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
What would I lose then?
Photos? I don't think health data is on Icloud.

Is that the safest way to set a new phone as new in order to get rid of some potential bug that I've been carrying over for the past 2-3 Iphones?

Any other suggestions?

The only things you will loose are old text messages and you will have to redownload apps

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What would I lose then?
If you set up as new, you will lose everything. Having said that, the information associated with iCloud will re-sync to your device once the device is configured with iCloud.
Photos synced to iCloud will re-sync to your device.
I don't think health data is on Icloud.
. You're right. Your health data is not "synced" to iCloud and is kept locally on the device. You can backup your health data via an iCloud or an encrypted iTunes backup, but you cannot backup items individually, although I wish we could.

Any other suggestions?

In my opinion and experience, the answer is yes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro