Start Clean or Restore from Backup?

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I thought about doing a clean install. Downloading apps, arranging them, signing in, mail configs and even Airdropping my pics isn’t that big of a deal but the ONE thing stopping me from a clean install is transferring my contacts, whether that be by manually inputting or Airdropping them. That would take forever and not a task I wanna do. 567 contacts would drive me crazy

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I thought about doing a clean install. Downloading apps, arranging them, signing in, mail configs and even Airdropping my pics isn’t that big of a deal but the ONE thing stopping me from a clean install is transferring my contacts, whether that be by manually inputting or Airdropping them. That would take forever and not a task I wanna do. 567 contacts would drive me crazy

Your contacts should come over from iCloud after signing in with your Apple ID.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about doing it just to clear stuff out. Been running new phones from backups since I started with a 6s+ so now I'm on phone 3. Just not looking forward to reinstalling all the apps and entering passwords. If I do it fresh will safari copy over bookmarks still from iCloud? I downloaded the iCloud app to my PC a while back in order to get my chrome bookmarks into Safari on my phone.

Unless you’re worrying about saved game data, it’s really not all that bad. Sure, it can be time consuming, but the benefits of it are worth it to ‘me’.....

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Even if you bring in contacts from iCloud it’s still a clean install.

Interesting, I guess need to re-evaluate my definition of a clean install. Either way it’s too late. Restored my X from a backup and haven’t ran into any issues. Maybe I’ll do a clean install for XS lol

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Would that be considered a clean install? Clean install in my definition is starting from scratch and doing it all over. Not restoring any info from iCloud or a backup.

Yes, it is because a clean install includes the installing of iOS and your apps. “Synced” data like contacts, calendar events, reminders, photos, etcetera doesn’t count.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it is because a clean install includes the installing of iOS and your apps. “Synced” data like contacts, calendar events, reminders, photos, etcetera doesn’t count.

Definition re-evaluated. Thanks, never thought about synced data separate from app data

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify, if I set up as new but sign in to iCloud will my messages be there or would I lose them?

If iCloud Sync for iMessages work like it is suppose to then once you sign in to iCloud, your iMessages should sync to your devices in the same manner as your other iCloud data does.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If iCloud Sync for iMessages work like it is suppose to then once you sign in to iCloud, your iMessages should sync to your devices in the same manner as your other iCloud data does.

I can confirm that last Friday, with the iOS 11.3 beta on my 6s, I bought a new X, set it up and installed the beta, reset the phone and set up as new, turned on Message sync in iCloud settings and all of the messages that were on my 6s appeared on the X.

I wouldn't be like me, though, and just wait for the real iOS 11.3.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I constantly do maintenance on my devices so I can carbon copy to my next device without any complication. Been doing it since my i5 with no issues

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox