Stainless Steel vs Aluminum - Which one and why?

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
. That was the deciding factor between which stainless color for me too. My wedding rings are gold, watch will be on my left wrist, so that determined what I ended up with in the stainless line. There isn’t a lot of metal on the case, but just enough to make me uncomfortable going “silver” stainless, and if I ever wanted a link band to go with it...well...it would make me uneasy pairing different metals. They could always develop what Rolex did...a band that incorporates both SS color and gold. Problem solved!

I totally agree!

vizagdude

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I got AL on launch day. This was my first Apple watch. I am used to heavy watch. I use a Tag Carrera. I after using it for for a while, I hardly feel I have a watch on. So, I returned it and wanted to get an SS version 44mm either in Steel or Black. All the SS models are sold out here in Dallas area. Apple.com is back ordered by over month. They are showing estimated shipping to Oct 28 - Nov 4. That's ridiculous! I am not going to pay for something right now and wait for over month for it to delivered.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I had an SS Series 0 but switched to aluminum when I got my Series 3. The SS definitely looks better but I just couldn’t justify the price difference for a watch that I’m only going to keep for a year or two. The SS is an even bigger lemon than the aluminum. You pay couple hundred dollars more for it and get maybe a few dollars more at trade in or when you sell it back. No thanks.
If money is no consideration than go for the SS. For the rest of us the aluminum is the better deal.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I got AL on launch day. This was my first Apple watch. I am used to heavy watch. I use a Tag Carrera. I after using it for for a while, I hardly feel I have a watch on. So, I returned it and wanted to get an SS version 44mm either in Steel or Black. All the SS models are sold out here in Dallas area. Apple.com is back ordered by over month. They are showing estimated shipping to Oct 28 - Nov 4. That's ridiculous! I am not going to pay for something right now and wait for over month for it to delivered.

I would suggest checking online each morning, maybe 10 or 11 am, as stores will get occasional new shipments. To ensure you get your watch, you likely want to purchase the watch online (to guarantee it is held for you). The stores will continue to get shipments, despite the back orders online.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
I would suggest checking online each morning, maybe 10 or 11 am, as stores will get occasional new shipments. To ensure you get your watch, you likely want to purchase the watch online (to guarantee it is held for you). The stores will continue to get shipments, despite the back orders online.

Yes, that is how I got mine as well. Check every day morning at 8am.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I looked at the SS when I got my S3 and again S4 and then looked at prices on Swappa for sale prices on the SS3 vs the Aluminium S3. I got Aluminium both times. Sold my S3 on Swappa in one day for $260 w/o bands (I offered the bands, but the buyer did not want them)... so for now will stick with the Aluminum, plus I don't like fingerprints showing, as it does on the SS.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The stainless steel just isn’t worth the extra cost to me. I think it looks great, but I just can’t justify the cost. I’ve had the aluminum AW, AW2 and AW3. All are still in service, not by me, but look like new. The AW was just retired, as I passed one of the AW3’s down the line.

I have the AW 4 in space gray aluminum and I think it looks great. As I did for my others, I’ll pick up a protective case for working in the yard or hiking and that has been enough to keep them all scratch free.

All that being said, if you have the cash and can justify the cost, get the SS and enjoy it.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
The stainless steel just isn’t worth the extra cost to me. I think it looks great, but I just can’t justify the cost. I’ve had the aluminum AW, AW2 and AW3. All are still in service, not by me, but look like new. The AW was just retired, as I passed one of the AW3’s down the line.

I have the AW 4 in space gray aluminum and I think it looks great. As I did for my others, I’ll pick up a protective case for working in the yard or hiking and that has been enough to keep them all scratch free.

All that being said, if you have the cash and can justify the cost, get the SS and enjoy it.

It is really a personal choice than any other thing when it comes to such things as aluminum vs. stainless steel.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I currently have an aluminum Series 2 that's in mint condition. Yes the stainless steel looks nicer but I tend to wear my Rolex or Cartier watches when I want something dressy. For everyday wear the aluminum is fine by me.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I'd just use https://www.istocknow.com - register for an account (free) and they send you an email when the product you want arrives in a local store.

vizagdude

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the advise. Will do that

vizagdude

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The SS must be hot. They are pretty much sold out everywhere. For the heck of it, I looked up other cities in other states as well. 44mm SS ones are no where to be seen. Now I feel the urge even more, since it's not available

Edit: The Hermes models were there a few places in the morning. But I'm not spending over $1500 for something, I know will get upgraded in about 2 years.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I’m supposed to receive my 44mm SS with white sport band today but since Oct 2, it has been delaying clearance. Today found out that China’s having their golden week holiday until Oct 7, so I presume should be receiving it next week.

I also ordered for my wife a 40mm gold aluminum with pink sport band, up to now still processing order. Due to the week-long holiday in China, all became standstill.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I am so happy to be back to my SS Watch again. I like the classy look of the SS. More like a regular time piece vs a smart watch.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Sapphire crystal is main reason for me. I still have my series 1 and the crystal looks flawless. I don't use any case or screen protector and can't tell you how many times it's been banged on door knobs, etc. It is expensive, yes.

TBH, I'm disappointed that the S4 dropped ceramic. I almost got the ceramic S3. The ceramic case is beautiful and nearly indestructible.

I picked up the gold SS 44mm after seeing it in person. The pix on the Apple website absolutely do NOT show how it looks at all, in person! I was worried about a gold bracelet not matching and I picked up one on Amazon and it looks stellar. A leather strap would like nice as well but I've always been a bracelet person since that's what my mechanical watches have.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77