Stainless Steel vs Aluminum - Which one and why?

iJuan

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Help... aluminum or steel

I'm having a hard time deciding weather to buy the aluminum or steel variant of the series 4 watch

Which one did you choose and why?

Also, is spending over $800 (after taxes) on one dumb when they all do the same thing?

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help... aluminum or steel

I'm having a hard time deciding weather to buy the aluminum or steel variant of the series 4 watch

Which one did you choose and why?

Also, is spending over $800 (after taxes) on one dumb when they all do the same thing?

I’ve always went with aluminum. Didn’t feel the need to get the ss model. I know some people don’t like the cheaper look or feel of the aluminum though.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I went with the Aluminum for S0, and SS for S3.
If you plan on using it more than one year, I'd recommend the S3. I bought the same Space Black for the Series 4, it's very scratch resistant and durable. My S3 Space Black still looks like a brand new watch thanks to the DLC coating.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site

I can’t spend that much on a watch. I have the Series 3 and I know the S4 does more but I am happy with it. So keeping it. But I want to hear about the S4 and I hope everyone liked it

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: SS vs Al

It's a tough call between SS and Al.
My guess is, it's a marketing ploy to put higher price on SS model.
No matter how you slice it, I cannot think of any significant difference in the cost of material and manufacturing cost for these two materials in this tiny application.

You could say the same thing about high-end mechanical watches. Rolex charges a lot more for gold watches than they do for the same stainless steel version, a lot more than the difference in the cost of the material.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

I debated between the aluminum and the SS. It's a tough call because they for my purposes they function identically (I probably won't activate the cellular). Ultimately, I chose the SS simply because it's a bit dressier.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I bought the Aluminum Series 4. The biggest single reason is the price -- I had a hard enough time justifying the $650 (after AppleCare+ and tax); I didn't feel like getting into the same price range as a new iPhone. I currently have an aluminum watch, a year old, that so far has held up very well. Maybe in year two is when it would start looking beat up -- though to a degree, that is why I have AppleCare+ (I'm not gentle on watches). Of course, while I really hope to skip the next upgrade cycle (or two), I know I'll be tempted again next year.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

You could say the same thing about high-end mechanical watches. Rolex charges a lot more for gold watches than they do for the same stainless steel version, a lot more than the difference in the cost of the material.

It's not at all same.
Totally different product category (Rolex or not) between regular watch and Apple Watch, while SS and Al models in essentially the same gadget category is "product differentiation". No matter how badly Apple wanted, the Apple Watch is never a fashion item.
YMMV but that's the way I think.

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
SS vs Al

There is a weight gain from Alu to SS...
And If you put a metal band on it make a very heavy watch...
0587385531840340885639a1127a078b.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

It's not at all same.
Totally different product category (Rolex or not) between regular watch and Apple Watch, while SS and Al models in essentially the same gadget category is "product differentiation". No matter how badly Apple wanted, the Apple Watch is never a fashion item.
YMMV but that's the way I think.

Say what you will, but the exact same Rolex Sky Dweller watch, exact same movement, is $14,400 in steel and white gold and $46,150 in 18 kt gold. The only differentiation is case and bracelet material.

Also, this is an old post, but it guesses on the different forging and milling processes for the old edition gold watch, stainless steel, and aluminum watches. It does seem as if steel and aluminum have very different processes, and it's conceivable that production costs are higher for steel vs. aluminum, particularly when you guess that they are producing a lot more aluminum watches than stainless steel. But, like Rolex, I am sure that Apple charges more for stainless steel than aluminum because there are enough people willing to pay more for stainless. There is no requirement that Apple must sell their products on a cost-plus basis - they are entirely able to price their products however they like. Just as you are entirely able not to pay extra for stainless steel because you think it costs too much. (I only buy aluminum watches - I am way too tough on my watches to justify paying extra for a stainless steel watch.)

falconeight#IM

May 31, 2010
Visit site

I have a ss 3 series and the novelty wore of in about a month. Only one person ever noticed, it’s heavy, and doesn’t hold its values as well as the sport.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

The one thing that amazed me about the Apple Watch after years of wearing mechanical and quartz analog watches is how light it was.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site

I bought the Aluminum Series 4. The biggest single reason is the price -- I had a hard enough time justifying the $650 (after AppleCare+ and tax); I didn't feel like getting into the same price range as a new iPhone.

This.

I have a series 2 aluminum that I got release weekend 2 years ago and it looks almost brand new. I wear it everyday and use it both hiking and swimming. I admit the SS looks fancier but with a nice leather band, my sport watch looks pretty damn good.

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

I’ve used both and the stainless holds up far better than the aluminum. I prefer the look as well.

I’d beg to differ, my SS gen 0 is scratched like crazy. My S3 Space Grey has only one small spot near the band where I dropped it putting the band on outside. Plus let’s face it you get about as much depreciation on a SS Apple Watch as you do with a car. I paid like $700 for mine and I could probably sell it for $25-30 right now.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I’d beg to differ, my SS gen 0 is scratched like crazy. My S3 Space Grey has only one small spot near the band where I dropped it putting the band on outside. Plus let’s face it you get about as much depreciation on a SS Apple Watch as you do with a car. I paid like $700 for mine and I could probably sell it for $25-30 right now.

You can polish the SS quite easily.

https://www.amazon.com/Cape-Cod-Pol...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3089545

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

The normal SS does scratch very easily. That’s why I’d recommend the Space Black due to its coating.

zdist

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site

I wanted a more premium watch feel so I ordered the SS. I have a series 3 al space grey and a garmin fenix 5 plus for the gym and running. I wanted an Apple Watch that feels more premium in comparison to my Rolex.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site

My experience is very different than yours. My space gray SS looks brand new after a year. My aluminum series 2 was destroyed after a year. The ion glass scratches very easily compared to the sapphire.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77