Spy apps for iPhones

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue122130

Dec 2, 2018
Visit site
Do any of the spy app software actually work? Looking into getting it for my kids but all the reviews are so bad for them. I want it to be a hidden one so I’m curious if anyone has tried one and had success with it before.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what you’re trying to spy on I suppose. iOS by design doesn’t really allow you to install software and not make it known that it’s installed.
Honestly though, as a parent myself I would advise against betraying your kids’ trust by installing such software on their devices without their knowledge. If they find out good luck getting them to open up to you about things in the future. If you’re going to install spy software then tell them you’re doing it. I’d also let them know that if they attempt to uninstall it or turn it off in any way they’ll no longer have a phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless you’re using an MDM of some sort, you will have to take possession of the devices to install the spyware. Right? If so, why not just go through their apps, messages, and social feeds on occasion? That’s what I did and I made it known to them that I would.

By the way, I didn’t give them a choice!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes to needing MDM, and you can also know what’s up if you have an appropriately capable security appliance as your gateway of last resort.

One could get an entry level Meraki MX and then use the world class and enterprise level MDM for free as long as you don’t need support. If you get an advanced software license you will also have DNS and network based security vs anti-virus software that is really a too late security solution.

I don’t know the Ubiquiti products very well but have some associates who consider some of their products as the cheapskate or poor man’s alternative to Meraki.

It’s really too bad Apple left the AirPort family dead on the limb and then just dead. I hoped it would mature to be an even better SOHO network solution.

Rebekkah121

Oct 7, 2019
Visit site
Honestly, I feel like most spy apps are useless. They claim to be for parental or employee monitoring. Some even encourage you to use it for spousal monitoring (which is illegal)!

Then there is the question of whether spy apps actually work or not. Most of the reviews I’ve read online say that spy apps don’t function as their websites claim. The popular ones are highly advertised but they often face performance issues. They have issues with uploading data to the user account, monitoring activity on the device, etc. However, apps do work sometimes (such as Xnspy and others).

If you are planning to use a spy app as a parental monitoring app, I would say it is a waste of time. You can instead use parental control features offered on iPhones.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
When we gave our son his first smartphone, we made it very clear that at any time we would ask for his device to do a check to see what he was doing. Any delay in handing the device over would result in loss of said device for a week (first offense) and longer every other time it happened. He never hesitated anytime we asked for it and we were open about it up front.

If you feel you need to spy on your children, don't be surprised when they develop trust issues in the future.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You all know how I am and my take on certain things. I’m specifically referring to “kids”. I’m an old school parent and until the kid/child/teen is 18 years of age, privacy, for the most part, does NOT exist.

I am responsible for the child from infancy to 18 and I will trust the child until I have a reason not to. With that being said, that doesn’t mean that I won’t check on him or her on occasion, especially during the teen years when they tend to think they’re smarter than the parent.

Now in regard to Rebekkah121’s comments, there’s a thin line between “spying” and “monitoring”. Would you spy on a boyfriend or spouse if you suspected that he was being unfaithful? When you leave your house for an extended period of time, do you ask neighbors to keep watch over it or do you have cameras all over the place in which you can monitor or spy from afar?

I know I’m poking the bear here....(laughing)....but it’s all for conversation...

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
If you are planning to use a spy app as a parental monitoring app, I would say it is a waste of time. You can instead use parental control features offered on iPhones.

Welcome to iMore

Child safety is every parents concern and as you mentioned the iPhone has a few good features baked in for keeping track of your kids without appearing to work for the CIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l6onn44vy