Spotlight Search

Alkali

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I have iphone 12 Pro Max but contact spotlight Search from the main screen doesn't work all the time. I have the latest software installed. Please help me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
During those times, scroll to the bottom to something similar to what’s depicted in the screenshot. Afterwards, select the “search contacts” option.
e49e52b81de53a984494e5742a4fb979.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I really do not understand what all this means

When you do a spotlight search, you have to first swipe down on the Home Screen before entering the name of the contact you’re searching. Right?

On most occasions if I enter a contacts name, that name will appear at the top of the search results, however, there are times when the search results displays everything except the name of the contact I’m searching for.

When that happens, I scroll down the bottom of the search results page and then select the search contacts option. That will allow a search of only my contacts.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Go to the setting app, click on Siri and search, look fo the contacts app and make sure everything is selected.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
This is exactly the reason why I never use spotlight to search for contacts.
Instead, I go into the contacts app right away.
1st, why can't I configure spotlight to ALWAYS look into the contacts app, rather than deciding what's good for me (and then often it isn't)
2nd, I have eg 2 Smiths, a John and a Mike.
I spotlight search for 'smith'.
It returns the contact 'John Smith' on top of the list.
But I need Mike Smith.
So I scroll down as in the picture above, and sometimes there is no option 'search in contacts', but tons of other apps and locations.
Nobody knows in advance when Siri thinks it should to offer me contacts to search further, or not.

So instead of repeatedly going through this, with doubtful outcome, I always go into the contacts app right away.
I think this is a weakness of how Siri/spotlight handles search requests.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I thoroughly agree, I do not use spotlight search for anything, I got so fed up with it not finding stuff I knew was there, I abandoned it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It sometimes works for me. Other times it only shows junk I don't need. I never use it for contacts. I use a large Launcher widget for my 12 most used contacts. All others I get from Contacts.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR