Spotify, Play Music and Apple Music could get more expensive worldwide

AlvaDua

May 4, 2021
Visit site
A measure applied in the United States may result in an increase in values ​​for streaming music services worldwide. The Copyright Committee of the US Library of Congress would have determined to increase the percentage of revenue that is passed on to artists.

Apple-Music-price-and-features-lead.jpeg

The minimum value determined by the CRB was 10.5% (although payments are always around 12.5%) and was increased to 15.1%. According to the Billboard website , music services use this legislation as a basis for paying record labels and artists, unlike film services, such as Netflix, which negotiate individually with each studio or distributor.

The increase was celebrated by the National Association of Music Publishers (NMPA). “We are excited by the 43.8% increase for composers - the largest ever awarded by CRB in all of history”, celebrated the association's president David Israelite.

As you can imagine, having to pay more to artists can lead streaming services such as Google Play Music, Apple Music and Spotify to pass on the increase to consumers as well. As the basis of business is the legislation of the North American country, it is possible that this actually happens.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
A measure applied in the United States may result in an increase in values ​​for streaming music services worldwide. The Copyright Committee of the US Library of Congress would have determined to increase the percentage of revenue that is passed on to artists.

View attachment 130864

The minimum value determined by the CRB was 10.5% (although payments are always around 12.5%) and was increased to 15.1%. According to the Billboard website , music services use this legislation as a basis for paying record labels and artists, unlike film services, such as Netflix, which negotiate individually with each studio or distributor.

The increase was celebrated by the National Association of Music Publishers (NMPA). “We are excited by the 43.8% increase for composers - the largest ever awarded by CRB in all of history”, celebrated the association's president David Israelite.

As you can imagine, having to pay more to artists can lead streaming services such as Google Play Music, Apple Music and Spotify to pass on the increase to consumers as well. As the basis of business is the legislation of the North American country, it is possible that this actually happens.

Hello and welcome to iMore! It's nice to have you here. When you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I'd say the streaming services will eat as much of that cost as they can as they know if they raise prices, subscriptions will drop drastically.

Only reason I still have SiriusXM is because I get it for $5/mo. When I go to renew and they can't give me that price I'll just cancel.....at which time they'll decide to give it to me for another year at $5/mo.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Everything is going up in prices except our salaries (unless you work for the Government. Minimum wage for them is now $15/hour). Has anyone been to the supermarket lately? It's RIDICULOUS!!!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'd say the streaming services will eat as much of that cost as they can as they know if they raise prices, subscriptions will drop drastically.

Only reason I still have SiriusXM is because I get it for $5/mo. When I go to renew and they can't give me that price I'll just cancel.....at which time they'll decide to give it to me for another year at $5/mo.

I'm in the same boat as you with Sirius! I love it, but I'm not willing to pay their regular rates!

Everything is going up in prices except our salaries (unless you work for the Government. Minimum wage for them is now $15/hour). Has anyone been to the supermarket lately? It's RIDICULOUS!!!

Yes it is ridiculous! And the shelves are half empty. I think there are still issues with suppliers... it doesn't make sense to me. All I want to know is, when will it end!

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
On top of that, the Government of Canada is planning to add additional taxes on all online stream services like Apple Music, Spotify, etc. So it's going to be even more expensive for Canadians like me.

First, all of them will be required to collect the Goods and Services Tax in Canada. Apple Music already collects the GST, but I don't know about the other services. It would be expected to begin in Summer 2021.
Additionally, foreign streaming services will be required to pay a new 3% Digital Services Tax.

Total price increase would be around 9%, if the provinces don't plunge into the idea - and I can almost promise they will.

Source: https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...-prime-get-ready-to-pay-more-expert-says.html

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Apples to oranges, that’s why I don’t have cable tv. The rates keep going up, there is still need for improvement, and the choices stay the same. Streaming music has come a long way, but I still see quirks that need to be ironed out.
Depending how much it goes up,will be when I make my decision. Worse case, I’ll use the free version of Amazon music, or Pandora.

Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
On top of that, the Government of Canada is planning to add additional taxes on all online stream services like Apple Music, Spotify, etc. So it's going to be even more expensive for Canadians like me.

First, all of them will be required to collect the Goods and Services Tax in Canada. Apple Music already collects the GST, but I don't know about the other services. It would be expected to begin in Summer 2021.
Additionally, foreign streaming services will be required to pay a new 3% Digital Services Tax.

Total price increase would be around 9%, if the provinces don't plunge into the idea - and I can almost promise they will.

Source: https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...-prime-get-ready-to-pay-more-expert-says.html

Well, Netflix just raised prices by 5% (GST) in my part of Canada.

Their email:
7561f12738d4bd9a55361e0649b8c9a1.jpg

A news article about it: https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/netflix-adding-gst-hst-to-your-bill-beginning-canada-day-1.5452399

P.S.: No, I’m not complaining.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2