Speed test discrepancies

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok so this may sound bizarre. I have noticed when running my ookla speed test app it differs dramatically from my iPhone 6s to my iPad mini 4 or the pro 9.7. On the IPads I get 45-50mbps (which is what I pay for) and on iPhone I get around 20mbps. I run tests right after one another. Anyone have a reasonable explanation? Thanks in advance

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
That's strange. I just ran tests on my 6s Plus and MacBook Pro and they were both around 150mbps, which is in line with my internet service. Are you sure your iPhone is connecting to the same test server as your other devices?

You might want to try running tests on www.fast.com (using Safari) and comparing.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, make sure they use the same location. And it can vary from minute to minute on the same device. The most accurate test is on the computer.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok so this may sound bizarre. I have noticed when running my ookla speed test app it differs dramatically from my iPhone 6s to my iPad mini 4 or the pro 9.7. On the IPads I get 45-50mbps (which is what I pay for) and on iPhone I get around 20mbps. I run tests right after one another. Anyone have a reasonable explanation? Thanks in advance

Same here. Connection speed on my iPad Pro 12.9 is much faster than on original iPad and iPad 4. As well as all my iPhone's are all slower.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
A few background things we would need to know. What band are you running your wifi on. Are you running it on 5ghz 2.4ghz or mixed mode. What bands are your devices connected to? If everything is the same that is odd. What is the signal strength of each device while the test is running?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
A few background things we would need to know. What band are you running your wifi on. Are you running it on 5ghz 2.4ghz or mixed mode. What bands are your devices connected to? If everything is the same that is odd. What is the signal strength of each device while the test is running?

I can help. I have Google Fiber at home. I'm seeing the same thing actually. Until recently there was a larger gap. Separated bands, running on the 5Ghz band, full strength wifi. Used to be 350mbps down on my iPhone, 450mbps down on my iPad Air 2, and 550mbps down on my 2013 rMBP. Recently I have seen as high as 528mbps down on the iPhone and iPad. Still less than the MacBook.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods