Sold both my iPhone Xs

aggie

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm back on my iphone X today too! Ugh just can't leave it

I keep going back and forth as well. Love that big, beautiful, notchless display of the S9 +. In addition to that I like the size and feel of the S9+ better.

I love iMessage, camera, and compatibility with my Apple TVs and Homepod with the X.

Love Android Auto. Hate Carplay/Apple Maps. Love Android notifications. Hate hate hate iOS' garbage notication implementation. I need to sell off one of these devices to stop driving myself crazy switching my SIM back and forth.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I keep going back and forth as well. Love that big, beautiful, notchless display of the S9 +. In addition to that I like the size and feel of the S9+ better.

I love iMessage, camera, and compatibility with my Apple TVs and Homepod with the X.

Love Android Auto. Hate Carplay/Apple Maps. I need to sell off one of these devices to stop driving myself crazy switching my SIM back and forth.

Yup. I am selling my pixel 2 XL....I just can't sacrifice the cohesiveness with ios. My whole family and about 98% of friends and coworkers use ios. I do like using Android devices more but the iPhone is the best device for my needs.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I use iPhones as my main phone but occasionally pick up a android to play with, but usually just to flip for some play/tech money, just bought/sold a note 8 for $170 profit, nice phone but don't like the curved edges and was too tall. Can get a new sealed 9S plus today with 2 cases worth $100 for $400 below retail, but would probably only flip for $50 profit once used for a few days, not sure its worth the hassle.

aggie

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Yup. I am selling my pixel 2 XL....I just can't sacrifice the cohesiveness with ios. My whole family and about 98% of friends and coworkers use ios. I do like using Android devices more but the iPhone is the best device for my needs.

Totally understandable decision. That's why I probably won't get rid of my X. However I can't get rid of my Pixel 2XL because of that camera. Looks like the S9+ may be the odd man out. I love the device overall. Display is my favorite on any device. Love the design and how it looks versus the silly looking notch of the X and still too big bezels of the Pixel. However the camera isn't living up to the hype in my experience and that's a really important part of the equation for me. A software update may fix it but I'm not going to keep a near $1k phone past the return period on a hope that it will be fixed.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Totally understandable decision. That's why I probably won't get rid of my X. However I can't get rid of my Pixel 2XL because of that camera. Looks like the S9+ may be the odd man out. I love the device overall. Display is my favorite on any device. Love the design and how it looks versus the silly looking notch of the X and still too big bezels of the Pixel. However the camera isn't living up to the hype in my experience and that's a really important part of the equation for me. A software update may fix it but I'm not going to keep a near $1k phone past the return period on a hope that it will be fixed.

The only reason I was forcing myself to use the pixel was because of that ridiculous camera! It is really something else and it puts every other smartphone camera to shame, including the X. The portrait mode is where it shines most....however I can't keep it just for pictures it isn't worth that much to me. The X camera is good, but needs a lot more perfecting with the portrait mode, hopefully software can help that like you said.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I was looking seriously at going back to Android(had a Note 4 before heading to ios) for either the Pixel 2 XL or the s9+. But with the wife and daughter on iPhones and my daughter not liking Android, since she upgraded to the X(a birthday present), I decided to do the same.

I will say, after using ithe X now for a few days, it's a nice change with the ease of facial recognition but over all I am Meh on the change over(had a 7+)

I am in a two week window for returning it but the beside the unification with the wife and daughter under ios, there's also no annual upgrade path on Verizon for any of the Android phones. I know I can pay off my old iPhone and buy via Samsung, but coughing up $400 isn't a grand idea(I had a 7+ so only $200 credit).

I'll probably go with the X I just got for another year and wait to see what the Note 9 brings.
To follow up, I ended up returning the X for a Galaxy s9+.

I just felt like I was taking a step back with the X with regard to video size and the lack of a zoom mode for the UI. I really didn't feel like the X was anything all that special, especially for the price(I had gotten the 256gb version).

I liked the face ID but it wasn't perfect. In fact in the daytime, I feel like I get better and faster results from the s9+'s combination of retina/face ID. And if it doesn't work, I always have the fingerprint scanner to fall back on. With the X I had times where I'd have to maneuver the thing around for an unlock. In the dark though, the s9+ doesn't work well with the retina/face id, whereas the X did work ok.

Anyway, I came from a Note 4 prior to iOS with the 6s+ so I know what I'm getting into. I will say, I forgot just how much customization there is in Android and how constrained you are in iOS. I also love it's got an SD card slot and headphone jack.

The rest of the family remains on iPhones but I have managed to get a family calendar integrated between us as well as some other things. So the integration factor I was worried about, isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

I figure when Apple get the X right in an iteration or two, I'll take another look.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I feel like this thread is one big AA meeting or support group.

Hi. My name is Andrew and I'm a serial phone switcher. Popkurn and I have been going back and forth through some PMs about this stuff. So she knows how messed up I am and how much time I spend fretting over what I'm using or going to use.

Currently I'm on an iX 256gb. I honestly think it's a fantastic phone. But I do not think it is in any way even remotely close to worth it for the price I paid. There are so many little annoying things about it - I just can't put my finger on it as to what I don't like. But I know I don't really want to keep it. So then I look into what else I would use on iOS and I feel like I'd be using the same thing I've been using for years, just with a little bit more lipstick on it.

So to turn away from iOS would be to leave behind iMessage, which isn't the biggest deal in the world, as my whole family uses Google Photos or Facebook Messenger. But it is still an inconvenience. And that leaves me with two options: the Pixel 2 XL or S9 Plus. There really isn't anything else I'd use.

The S9 Plus seems to be a good compromise for me as to what it offers, and the only thing it's missing would be quick updates. The Pixel 2 XL has those updates, but is missing wireless charging and SD card support.

Decisions! Decisions!

***As a side note, I've been in Disney World for the past week and the X has worked just fine. But man it seems like 99% of people have an iPhone. And I'm weird - it turns me off. I hate feeling like a sheep. I like to be a little bit different. And I feel like I'm just one of the flock with this phone.

P.S. I hate the Notch

Last edited:

rong21

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Re: Sold both my iPhone Xes

A lot of people double-dab ;).

I do. I like both platforms for different reasons. Can't bring myself to pick. Will say people on this forum are less prone to call names if you post you're leaving for the other side lol

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

Hi. My name is Andrew and I'm a serial phone switcher. Popkurn and I have been going back and forth through some PMs about this stuff. So she knows how messed up I am and how much time I spend fretting over what I'm using or going to use.

Currently I'm on an iX 256gb. I honestly think it's a fantastic phone. But I do not think it is in any way even remotely close to worth it for the price I paid. There are so many little annoying things about it - I just can't put my finger on it as to what I don't like. But I know I don't really want to keep it. So then I look into what else I would use on iOS and I feel like I'd be using the same thing I've been using for years, just with a little bit more lipstick on it.

So to turn away from iOS would be to leave behind iMessage, which isn't the biggest deal in the world, as my whole family uses Google Photos or Facebook Messenger. But it is still an inconvenience. And that leaves me with two options: the Pixel 2 XL or S9 Plus. There really isn't anything else I'd use.

The S9 Plus seems to be a good compromise for me as to what it offers, and the only thing it's missing would be quick updates. The Pixel 2 XL has those updates, but is missing wireless charging and SD card support.

Decisions! Decisions!

***As a side note, I've been in Disney World for the past week and the X has worked just fine. But man it seems like 99% of people have an iPhone. And I'm weird - it turns me off. I hate feeling like a sheep. I like to be a little bit different. And I feel like I'm just one of the flock with this phone.

P.S. I hate the Notch
What about the Xperia XZ2? It'll be out soon. I'm more interested in it than either the Pixel or S9.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I haven't sold my iPhone X yet, for whatever reason I can't part ways as of right now, but I've decided to go back to Android and got the pixel 2 XL. I got one back in November and couldn't stand the blue shift, but I loved the phones software and the build quality. I think the industrial/unique look of the pixel never gets old...nothing quite looks like it.

I finally don't feel locked into that iOS ecosystem that I always am afraid to let go of due to all family and friends using it, and I'm enjoying what I want to use. The cohesiveness of iOS is great, but there is a ton of room for improvement. The notifications are atrocious and I actually had to Google how to power down my X. Did you know it takes 4 steps to shut off an iPhone X? Volume up, volume down, lock button, slide to power off. But wait, I though the iPhone "just works" and is so easy to use? I'm playing devil's advocate here but some things really bother me with iOS and until it becomes more polished, I think I'm sticking to my Pixel 2 XL

You just need to hold the volume up button and the side button at the same time then slide the power off. No need to press the volume down. So 2 steps not 4

aggie

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

Decisions! Decisions!

P.S. I hate the Notch

LOL. Yea we all sound like a bunch of crazies going on about first world problems. Serial switcher is one thing. I seem to switch several times a day. I went between the S9+ and iPhone X more than a few times yesterday. Every time I pop my sim in one there is something I miss about the other.

I actually took true low light shots last night with the S9+ for the first time. It's in a league of its own in that department. It still needs some fine tuning via updates. There's some noise that's annoying but the amount of light it brings in with the f1.5 aperture is amazing.

You've been wanting to switch for a while. The S9+ is a fantastic phone and if I only had it and didn't have an X, P2XL, Note 8 id probably be perfectly happy with it. It's definitely the nicest overall device Samsung has put out. If the Pixel doesn't check all the boxes for your needs it (IMO) is definitely the device to get.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
LOL. Yea we all sound like a bunch of crazies going on about first world problems. Serial switcher is one thing. I seem to switch several times a day. I went between the S9+ and iPhone X more than a few times yesterday. Every time I pop my sim in one there is something I miss about the other.

I actually took true low light shots last night with the S9+ for the first time. It's in a league of its own in that department. It still needs some fine tuning via updates. There's some noise that's annoying but the amount of light it brings in with the f1.5 aperture is amazing.

You've been wanting to switch for a while. The S9+ is a fantastic phone and if I only had it and didn't have an X, P2XL, Note 8 id probably be perfectly happy with it. It's definitely the nicest overall device Samsung has put out. If the Pixel doesn't check all the boxes for your needs it (IMO) is definitely the device to get.

Don't get me wrong. I like the iX. I just don't think it's demonstrably better than my 6s Plus. And the Notch is a friggin joke. I despise it. Can't see my battery percentage unless I swipe down? That's a feature? Ha! There is just something about it that I really don't like. So if I stay with Apple I have to use a phone that looks just like the same phone I've been using for 2.5 years.

So I think it's time for a switch back to Android.

Just not sure if I want a Pixel 2 XL or S9+. I have to decide today because today is when the $200 credit expires on the Pixel through Google.

aggie

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I like the iX. I just don't think it's demonstrably better than my 6s Plus. And the Notch is a friggin joke. I despise it. Can't see my battery percentage unless I swipe down? That's a feature? Ha! There is just something about it that I really don't like. So if I stay with Apple I have to use a phone that looks just like the same phone I've been using for 2.5 years.

So I think it's time for a switch back to Android.

Just not sure if I want a Pixel 2 XL or S9+. I have to decide today because today is when the $200 credit expires on the Pixel through Google.

I agree. I really like the X and the direction that Apple is taking iOS as far as being more gesture based. The X aside from the ridiculous notch is the most sleek, elegant electronic device I've owned. The notch isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me but I just seem to enjoy Android more mostly due to the notification system and that for me at least Android now feels like a more efficient, well thought out OS. iOS seems all over the place with settings, the battery percentage being hidden, having to learn finger gymnastics with the side buttons to perform basic functions. I'm sure it will improve and I still really liking iOS but those things make me prefer Android for now.

The biggest thing for me though is just how much better Android Auto is than CarPlay. There has been very little improvement in CarPlay since it's inception. Android Auto with Waze and Gmaps is amazing. Google Assistant is so much more usable than Siri when driving and it understands what I'm saying every time. I could go on and on. Hopefully Apple opens up CarPlay to Google Maps and improves Siri. I'd love to come back to iOS full time because there is so much about iOS that I love.

The Pixel 2xl at 200 off is a great deal. Makes for a difficult choice between it and the S9

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I agree. I really like the X and the direction that Apple is taking iOS as far as being more gesture based. The X aside from the ridiculous notch is the most sleek, elegant electronic device I've owned. The notch isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me but I just seem to enjoy Android more mostly due to the notification system and that for me at least Android now feels like a more efficient, well thought out OS. iOS seems all over the place with settings, the battery percentage being hidden, having to learn finger gymnastics with the side buttons to perform basic functions. I'm sure it will improve and I still really liking iOS but those things make me prefer Android for now.

The biggest thing for me though is just how much better Android Auto is than CarPlay. There has been very little improvement in CarPlay since it's inception. Android Auto with Waze and Gmaps is amazing. Google Assistant is so much more usable than Siri when driving and it understands what I'm saying every time. I could go on and on. Hopefully Apple opens up CarPlay to Google Maps and improves Siri. I'd love to come back to iOS full time because there is so much about iOS that I love.

The Pixel 2xl at 200 off is a great deal. Makes for a difficult choice between it and the S9

It's very difficult comparing both ios and Android. I've been back and forth within weeks, days, even down to the hours. I think the biggest factor is what works best for your lifestyle, and also what you enjoy using the most. I don't enjoy the iPhone as much as using an android device, but when I get videos Sent to me from ios users on an android, that doesn't fit my lifestyle. Being around an entire family and friend base of ios users has almost forced me to use an iPhone. To use what I enjoy more, still won't make it enjoyable enough because I need that cohesiveness between my family and friends it is really important to me.

Aside from that, hardware wise the X is by far the nicest looking phone apple has made. Like you said the notch isn't the greatest thing and I did despise it and do at times, but not enough to throw the phone in the garbage and run to android. In fact, Android devices are adopting the notch!! With little tweaks and improvements I think apple can make some things better with X. The X is the future, there is no turning back for Apple, no more touch ID, no more bezels. There will still be an LCD IPS model to launch, but it will physically look like the X! I think Apple does some things really well, and some things make my head spin. It's a love/hate relationship! I can find things with Android too, there just is no clear winner. Always on display with the pixel doesn't show battery.....why!!!! It's almost as bad as having no percentage visible on the X. Pixel 2 XL does not have the best display, I could never get smart lock location to work consistently, and the phone isn't the most comfy in hands. S9/S9+, updates will be delayed, the curved display I don't care for, hate all the bloatware. And if you go with the unlocked model to avoid the bloat, the updates come even later than the delayed carrier models!

Idk, there's a reason why people buy Apple. There's also many reasons why people buy Android...the two will never join forces though!

aggie

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
It's very difficult comparing both ios and Android. I've been back and forth within weeks, days, even down to the hours. I think the biggest factor is what works best for your lifestyle, and also what you enjoy using the most. I don't enjoy the iPhone as much as using an android device, but when I get videos Sent to me from ios users on an android, that doesn't fit my lifestyle. Being around an entire family and friend base of ios users has almost forced me to use an iPhone. To use what I enjoy more, still won't make it enjoyable enough because I need that cohesiveness between my family and friends it is really important to me.

Aside from that, hardware wise the X is by far the nicest looking phone apple has made. Like you said the notch isn't the greatest thing and I did despise it and do at times, but not enough to throw the phone in the garbage and run to android. In fact, Android devices are adopting the notch!! With little tweaks and improvements I think apple can make some things better with X. The X is the future, there is no turning back for Apple, no more touch ID, no more bezels. There will still be an LCD IPS model to launch, but it will physically look like the X! I think Apple does some things really well, and some things make my head spin. It's a love/hate relationship! I can find things with Android too, there just is no clear winner. Always on display with the pixel doesn't show battery.....why!!!! It's almost as bad as having no percentage visible on the X. Pixel 2 XL does not have the best display, I could never get smart lock location to work consistently, and the phone isn't the most comfy in hands. S9/S9+, updates will be delayed, the curved display I don't care for, hate all the bloatware. And if you go with the unlocked model to avoid the bloat, the updates come even later than the delayed carrier models!

Idk, there's a reason why people buy Apple. There's also many reasons why people buy Android...the two will never join forces though!

You pretty much describe my dilemma perfectly. Wife has 7 plus, daughter has an X, mom and dad have an iPhone and all my good friends have iPhones. Even though there are workarounds for sharing things imessage is just so dang convenient. Although I don't video chat much, FaceTime is so much better than using Facebook or any of the other alternatives (Duo is really nice though but nobody uses it). It's the dang ecosystem that makes it so hard to leave. You are right, the ecosystem just makes the iPhone fit my lifestyle better. Android enhances my work productivity and helps when I'm on the road (which is a lot). Guess I'm destined to keep at least two devices lol

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73