• Welcome to the all-new iMore Forums! - We're still moving some things around, so you may see a few quirks here and there, but we're working on getting things fully completed as soon as possible. For now, take a look around, and if you run into any major issues, please let us know in this thread!

Soft Reset Vs Hard Reset

Diok_Mhf

Banned
Dec 27, 2012
hi, i am a iphone newbie just got a 4s and would like to know when i delete apps and other files should i do a hard reset or soft reset if not when would you consider the time for doing them .. thanks in advance

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
hi, i am a iphone newbie just got a 4s and would like to know when i delete apps and other files should i do a hard reset or soft reset if not when would you consider the time for doing them .. thanks in advance

I always do a hard reset meaning that I hold down the home and power button until I see the apple logo come on and then let go. That should clean up any remnants of an old or deleted app. I only do it if I delete apps or delete old files or anything else that I want to make sure get cleaned up. Good luck.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
No need to do resets like BB when you delete a app.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
By the way, what the heck is a soft reset on iOS? I've never heard that term when referring to iOS.

korp

Nov 10, 2012
A hard reset is a factory reset and a soft reset either holding down the power button and home button or the standard power button. Simply you do not need to do either.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Who said we need to reset after deleting apps on iOS? Never heard of such a thing.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
No need to do resets like BB when you delete a app.
That is just my personal preference Garz for apps. Does not mean anyone has to reboot as i just do it to make sure everything is gone.
By the way, what the heck is a soft reset on iOS? I've never heard that term when referring to iOS.

I think the term "Soft Reset" just means from what I read on Apples forums is to simply power off your phone and back on as opposed to the hard reset of holding down the home and power button.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Who said we need to reset after deleting apps on iOS? Never heard of such a thing.

Nobody said it as I explained to Garz above. It my my "OWN" personal preference to do so and nothing more than that just to clarify things ok?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
I recommend a "hard reset" once a week to keep things running smoothly. First, close all the apps in the app switcher. Then do the "hard reset" by holding the home and lock buttons simultaneously until the apple logo pops up.

I have found that this keeps everything running smooth and quick as possible. I do it every 4-5 days and I've never had any issues.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
I recommend a "hard reset" once a week to keep things running smoothly. First, close all the apps in the app switcher. Then do the "hard reset" by holding the home and lock buttons simultaneously until the apple logo pops up.

I have found that this keeps everything running smooth and quick as possible. I do it every 4-5 days and I've never had any issues.

I think that we share the same thoughts and that is why I do it as previously stated. I only Hard reset (Reboot) maybe once a month because i rarely change much except for an occasional app that I might Dl and then not like and delete. I do this the same way at least 3-4 times a month I let my battery go dead until the phone shuts off to cycle and keep my battery refreshed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Nobody said it as I explained to Garz above. It my my "OWN" personal preference to do so and nothing more than that just to clarify things ok?

Ok, no need to get sensitive or "EMPHASIZE" anything. I meant no offense I was just asking, geez! sorry I asked!

Sent from my iP5 from a warm place using Tapatalk

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012

Yeah. Soft reset is just a power cycle using the lock button.

Hard reset is using the lock and home button together.

Both will cycle some settings, but the hard reset cycles everything and refreshes the memory cache. The soft reset just cycles the power and the networks.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
I don't think you have to do a reset to delete apps.
You don't. The phone will reboot itself when it really needs to... some people like to do it once in a while because they can, and it makes them feel good... me? I'll reboot when the phone acts squirrelly... and it makes the squirrel go away.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Ok, no need to get sensitive or "EMPHASIZE" anything. I meant no offense I was just asking, geez! sorry I asked!

Sent from my iP5 from a warm place using Tapatalk

Sorry myself that you took everything I said out of context because I have been around here long enough that people know me and know how I mean things. Of course you are not one of them but I meant no offense emphasizing anything or not.

It does not hurt to ask but get over it and don't be so thin skinned yourself.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
I don't think you have to do a reset to delete apps.

For the last time just for clarification.... You do not have to do a hard reset when you delete apps. It is strictly up to the inviduals peace of mind and how he/she wants to do it. This has been said several times prior to your post. Thank you for posting though.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
You don't. The phone will reboot itself when it really needs to... some people like to do it once in a while because they can, and it makes them feel good... me? I'll reboot when the phone acts squirrelly... and it makes the squirrel go away.

Thank you kch, That was the message I have been trying to say, it is ones preference and what makes them feel good. It is not mandatory this be done.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
I think the term "Soft Reset" just means from what I read on Apples forums is to simply power off your phone and back on as opposed to the hard reset of holding down the home and power button.

Gotcha. I just haven't heard that term since BB.