So you have a iPhone 3g... Happy? Not Happy?

Happy? Not so happy?

• Happy?

Votes: 57 91.9%
  • Not happy?

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
That my friend is exactly what separates Apple from the rest. Updates. The device is not perfect no, but tell me one device that is perfect... No Treo, Windows Mobile phone, BlackBerry, etc...

How often does a firmware update come out to improve those devices? Not often. Apple is making an effort to keep improving the iPhone. And yes I've owned them all and still do.
Bad, I am going to argue that it is not just the updates, that sets Apple apart from their competitors, it is the ease with which they can be applied. Apple planned for updates while for Palm they were an after thought. Apple tells me three different ways that an update is available while Palm left it to me to discover. Apple says, "Our programmers do it once but the customers must do it over and over. Let's make it easy." Apple spends the time on the last ten percent of the function that makes it elegant.

Apple does things the way that you are led to expect when you see the elegant design, elegant stores, and elegant packaging.

Remember all the whining about the rumored activation process the week before the release of the 3G. I bought my 3G from an AT&T store on Saturday, day 2. I admit, I had to stand in line for about 15 minutes just to get in the store However, from the time stamp on instant messages to my sister, I was in the store exactly 5 minutes. During the time that I stood in line, managers came out of the store, counted the number of buyers in the line, and assured us that there was adequate inventory to meet our requirements.

One of the applications that I held on to my Treo for was the e-reader. However, the implementation on the iPhone just blows the Treo implementation away. I was in a book store in Austin, TX with my nephew, saw a book that I liked on the shelf. It took me about the same amount of time to purchase it and download it from ereader.com as it would have taken me to check out of the store. (I admit that I miss the little green beacon on my Treo that helped me find it amidst the covers in the dark.)

Palm sells the product; Apple sells the experience. Some people say that Apple hovers over its customers like a helicopter mom but Palm abandons theirs. Better spoiled than orphaned.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Bad, I am going to argue that it is not just the updates, that sets Apple apart from their competitors, it is the ease with which they can be applied. Apple planned for updates while for Palm they were an after thought. Apple tells me three different ways that an update is available while Palm left it to me to discover. Apple says, "Our programmers do it once but the customers must do it over and over. Let's make it easy." Apple spends the time on the last ten percent of the function that makes it elegant.

Apple does things the way that you are led to expect when you see the elegant design, elegant stores, and elegant packaging.

Remember all the whining about the rumored activation process the week before the release of the 3G. I bought my 3G from an AT&T store on Saturday, day 2. I admit, I had to stand in line for about 15 minutes just to get in the store However, from the time stamp on instant messages to my sister, I was in the store exactly 5 minutes. During the time that I stood in line, managers came out of the store, counted the number of buyers in the line, and assured us that there was adequate inventory to meet our requirements.

One of the applications that I held on to my Treo for was the e-reader. However, the implementation on the iPhone just blows the Treo implementation away. I was in a book store in Austin, TX with my nephew, saw a book that I liked on the shelf. It took me about the same amount of time to purchase it and download it from ereader.com as it would have taken me to check out of the store. (I admit that I miss the little green beacon on my Treo that helped me find it amidst the covers in the dark.)

Palm sells the product; Apple sells the experience. Some people say that Apple hovers over its customers like a helicopter mom but Palm abandons theirs. Better spoiled than orphaned.

No arguing here... I agree 100%

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
My only major complaints at this time is at&T's coverage and expensive plan. Otherwise the iphone pretty much has it all. Or what i need anyways.

E-Bot

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You have 30 days. You don't like it, take your phone and your whining back to apple or at&t.( this is in no way aimed towards anyone, just a statement) One less user on the 3g network. I am totally for apples strict policies. It makes sense if you look at it from more than a 13 year olds perspective. Think of the virus's and malware that could potentially be available for download on android market. Sooner or later googles gonna have to put its foot down and see that maybe open wasnt such a good idea.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
For a couple of years I had nextel when it was at its peak with direct connect. This was before the sprint merger. The service wasn't great but it did well. Right after that I went to verizon for about a year. I admit, very excellent service. Since getting AT&T a year and a half ago I've felt that I've had virtually the same coverage as verizon. Probably a few more dropped calls here and there. I don't see what's so bad about AT&T to tell u the truth.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Bad, I am going to argue that it is not just the updates, that sets Apple apart from their competitors, it is the ease with which they can be applied.
Agreed. I had a Nokia E61 before the iPhone 3G and although there were a number of decent updates while I had it the process was a complete mess. Typically they'd release an update for unlocked phones first and then, if you were lucky, the carrier-specific update would follow along later. Without hacking, the update for unlocked phones couldn't be applied to a carrier branded device (like my T-Mobile E61) so if you had bought a subsidised phone via a carrier you'd be stuck with the out-dated software (complete with its reduced feature set and unpatched vulnerabilities), perhaps for several months. When they released two updates in a row for unlocked/unbranded phones and nothing for my device I gave up and hacked the thing. Most annoying of all, the carrier-specific software was actually worse than the unlocked version (polluted with nasty T-Mobile themes and links to T-Mobile services). Add to that that you had to run a separate application to even look for the update (PC-only, no Mac version) and the whole experience was very frustrating. Apple's way of doing updates is massively better.

Last edited:

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
One of the few things that annoys me is, funnily enough, the updates - but for apps. I was told that the update for Twinkle was being submitted to Apple several weeks ago, yet that update is still not out even though there is at least one app that says it's designed to work with the updated version of Twinkle.

I've no idea what processes Apple goes through when an update is submitted but I wish it was much faster. :(

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Good news, you won't have to hear me "whine" :rolleyes: anymore
Picked up iPhone number 3 this week. Same thing.
I had well over 100 dropped calls last month.
Well its official now. ATT has released me from contract, (and the iphone doesn't even have to go back) so its hitting ebay. ATT is offering iPhone people $200 that stay with them to switch to another phone. I love the idea, was with them 8 years, but have the option to buy anything new.

While I admire what the iPhone is, I can't make phone calls. I appreciate those who like it and can understand. The interface is unbeatable hands down.
If I could make and receive calls I would put up with all the short comings of this phone, it is beautiful.

Anyone who says they don't need mms I respect but don't understand, a got a ton of friends and that is how you keep up on each other lives. I mms all the time. I get mms from people all the time and have to deal with memorizing a 7 digit user name and a password (I just can't believe that a phone to this audience would deal with this). I text all the time. I thought that was the audience of this phone.

As far as WHMURRAY is concerned, I respect his/her comments. He has been on Treocentral for a very long time. I guess each persons experience is different but I never had an issue with calling at all with Any treo. There were never issues (with the Treos that I owned, that prevented you from doing anything normal) and since the treo 600, what 6 years ago, many more features than the iphone, not as pretty, but not nearly as limited.
I am not going back to a treo, their time has come and gone.
Four years ago I trekked through europe for 8 weeks, phone worked, had usable GPS on it, and blogged the entire thing. My friends loved it. That was different.

Time to look for a phone that is really "different". Apple is giving me $100 voucher for their phone problems, I will probably get a new touch. Again, I love the interface and design. I will just have to carry a phone and a multimedia device like I did 6 years ago.

It's all about communication

Last edited:

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
At first I was not happy. Applications crashed, calls dropped, 3G went in and out for no apparent reason. I seriously considered going back to my trusty Treo 650.

I'm glad I didn't. Since 2.1, my iPhone is great. Everything works better. In fact, I think AT&T has been working on their network lately, at least in the San Jose area. I've noticed continued improvement in 3G coverage and stability that started a week after I upgraded.

iphone3g

Sep 16, 2008
www.iphone3g-store.com
So far I love the phone. I haven't used it on a workday yet. I've just been playing with the new apps. The bluetooth blows the doors of my Treo 700wx. I've been able to type almost as fast as I do on my laptop, and that's pretty quick!

ExBBUser

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
So far I'm loving every minute with my new phone. Can't really complain about much. No phone is perfect so I can live with the little things.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Now I've got some top class apps I use my iPhone all the time. It's really great for when my home wifi connection is down (which happens a lot at the moment).

tuna

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Gettin in on this one a little late, but I've never been happier with a phone. It's what I thought it would be and much more.

skuwamoto

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
So many posts on this thread it's hard to figure out where people stand. Is there a consensus that the dropped call issues are resolved with 2.1? It looked like there was at least one person (cglaguna) who was still experiencing issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods