So you have a iPhone 3g... Happy? Not Happy?

Happy? Not so happy?

• Happy?

Votes: 57 91.9%
  • Not happy?

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Please keep this thread about the actual phone. What you like about it, what you don't. The whole activation thing we all know about... :rolleyes:

*What I am liking at the moment*

The 2.0 firmware is a given. But you can get this on the original iPhone. I will admit I am liking the white plastic back. I was really afraid how it you feel in the hand. I did take a look at the black but once I saw all the finger prints all over them I knew right away white was the way to go. Phone also feels lighter in the hand too. The GPS works really well... I am very impressed. Turn by turn directions would be nice sure, but I don't need that. Now the obvious top feature... 3g - I'm getting great speeds in the Chicago burbs. 400-500 kbs (Mobile Network Speed Testing Solutions | iNetwork Test). Sound quality on the 3g network is awesome as well.

*Not liking...*

The only negative I see after the first day is how much battery life 3g is draining... I knew it would not be the best but I was shocked how quickly it goes. Granted it was the first day so I will give it a week to see how it plays out. Even going to switch back to edge for a day and see how much I can get out of that.

So... how about all of you?

GreenLightJerky

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
This communication/entertainment device is fantastic. The interface is slick. It feels great in my hand. I get great reception where I live and work. Ive owned the X50v, X5, Jornada, Zaurus, Wizard, credit card calculator and too many phones to count. All in search of a device that could do it all. After 12 hours with the device i know that this is hands down the coolest one of the bunch.

Glass screen So beautiful
Accelerometer
Safari WOW this is great, even on edge. Using the centro for web was a total joke. (3 hour talk time WTH)
APP Store, this is really going to put Apple in the front of the pack.
Too many to things to name really

dislikes few and minor:
cut and paste: If they want to be considered serious in the business world they need to have this.
Its SO damn nice! I feel like i want to put it in an Otterbox Armour series.

Next post will actually be FROM my 3gip

keith06t

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
I love it so far, and the screen clarity and the games are amazing.

Anybody know how/if you can access google maps from an address entered within a calendar entry without have to retype the whole address into google maps?

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I'm totally digging it. I love the in-hand feel, all the apps for specific web-services(which really cuts down on browser pinching), location awareness is super smooth, and the speakers are nice.

I just wish my reception was better. You'd think I lived near a power plant or something. Anyone know of a good, stationary signal booster?

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
As in another post, yes, I'm really loving mine so far. The silly stuff will drive me nuts down the road (already missing voice dial & turbodial off my BB) but I'll find a way to deal with it. Battery life is - well, not great. I blame most of that on 3G but we'll see if defeating it is going to work for me, etc. But I really do love the damn thing overall. Hitting the airport tomorrow for a week on the road, so let you know how it performs in the "real business world" with lots of calls, emails flying back & forth, etc.

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
I'm loving my iPhone 3G so far. I haven't used the 3G network for data much yet because I've pretty much just been at home the whole time since I got it so I'm on my AirPort network. Even at that my battery life has been pretty terrible because Super Monkey Ball and MotoRacer eat it up very fast! I guess I'll be investing in a lot of portable charging accessories because these games are so fantastic that I won't be able to keep from playing them all the time. The GPS wasn't able to get a complete lock on my here in my living room but it did narrow its circle down to only about a block in size with the center pointed square at my house. I'm already typing faster on the iPhone than I was ever able to on any of my Treos. The error correction is amazing and it makes up for my errors and its own at least 90% of the time. I've been able to type almost as fast as I do on my laptop, and that's pretty quick! (I'm a touch typist)

Things I don't like: No copy/paste (of course), the push badges/notifications apparently won't be working until later this year, Safari has quit on me and dumped me out to the home screen several times for no apparent reason, every time I plug it into my MacBook Pro it does a sync, which is fine, but before it does the sync it does what appears to be a complete backup which takes FOREVER!!! The cell reception inside my house is atrocious, this may have something to do with the aluminum siding(?).

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
When I had my original Blackjack and the Tilt, I just gave up and blocked 3g until I wanted to do heavy surfing or had large email attachments to download. 3g just eats batteries.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Fan-phoning-tastic!

- Rogers *finally* has a descent data plan ($30/6GB) so I *finally* have data on my iPhone
- Speed topping out at 600kbps
- GPS means Dieter could theoretically send me pizza to my current location any time!
- App Store is a paradigm shifter.

Dislikes

- Battery goes down faster than iTunes servers on launch day!

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
So far I love the phone. I haven't used it on a workday yet. I've just been playing with the new apps. The bluetooth blows the doors of my Treo 700wx. No more bluetooth drops!!! Exchange works as advertised. I did notice some sluggishness (freezing) while going thru my contacts. I have Exchange mail and also a gmail. And I wish that the mail icon would have separate indications for the new mail, not totals from both accounts.

I haven't notice the battery drain because I try and keep it plugged in when @ home or in the car for more than a 30 min ride. Question I have is if you have wifi and the phone is currently using it does that mean that the 3G is not being used and therefore not sucking up the battery?

The Copy n Paste issue has come up once. But these are all minor thing I'm willing to live with (for now).

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
When I had my original Blackjack and the Tilt, I just gave up and blocked 3g until I wanted to do heavy surfing or had large email attachments to download. 3g just eats batteries.

The battery life so far is pretty bad. Tomorrow when I'm at work will be the first real test. Going to bring my charger just in case.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
well i had a VERY long day at work saturday.. i forced it into 2g for most of the day, and when i was near the end of my day with like 90% bat life, i allowed 3g to exist..

i will be going all day today in 3g (no work), but tomorrow when im in/out of hospitals, i will see what it does...

i fell like i need a good case... otterbox doesn't seem like an option after looking at the 2g iphone case from them... i purchased 2 cases from the apple store and will try both to see which i like better.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I love it! Like everything it has it's pros and cons but so far it's been pretty good! I love the new design: how it's thinner and it feels great in the hands! The color of the screen is vibrant and the colors just pop! The App store is amazing! I downloaded the eBay App for my business and couldn't be happier. Also I love the new travel charger, it's way more compact.

Despite all the things I like about it, there are a few things that I didn't like:

I noticed the screen is kinda yellow. The other day I was taking pictures of my fiance's Golden Retrievers. One of them is a medium brown color. And when I was taking the picture I noticed that he looked orange.

3G drains battery really fast. So what I did was turned it off and used EDGE.
What I'm going to do is turn 3G on when I really need it.

But other than those two things. It's a really great phone!

klove4

Jul 12, 2008
Visit site
I love it so far, and the screen clarity and the games are amazing.

Anybody know how/if you can access google maps from an address entered within a calendar entry without have to retype the whole address into google maps?

You have to add the address to the phonebook. Then press the book in the typing field.

Maybe this helped?!

bonanza#IM

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
iPhone 3g

hello all. I am apearently new to the iphone and this blog and for a newbie I am loving the this "mini pocket browser/gaming" device. I have had much experiences with other phone like the bb and bj, this is somthing to have. I live in the country and this comes in handy about 75% of my daily life. I am aculy typing this post on the iPhone ATM. Of course all of what yall have mentioned is everything I enjoy about this iPhone.

However there are see other features I miss or am needing to complete this. Apeartnly there is no tjeathering as to I will b needing due to the "no DSL. Cable. Sattelite" services. Hess it does suck being out there. Well the phone does not also have any app or browser to download videos/music off web pages.

But in other terms this phone is great. I can't wait unti apple brings out the "true" qwerty keyboard. And also as technology of the os improves :)

manho1dup

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
First of all, the iPhone 3G hands down is the best phone. Yes, it's missing some features but for me I don't need those features and can careless about them.

Pros:

- I get good 3G speeds in SoCal 400+ kbps
- Another great Apple product design, the phone is just sexy
- GPS works better than I expected
- 2.0 software & the App store is awesome

Cons:

- Battery life really is poor on 3G so I leave it off until I really need it. Edge works fairly well in my area 130 kbps so it's not that bad.
- My iPhone has 2 dead pixels right now, so until i get my new one tomorrow that is a con.

The pros out weights the cons so this is one of my favorite devices. I will never go back to a regular smartphone or WM again.

trevor#IM

Jul 14, 2008
www.crackberry.com
So far coming from a blackberry pearl on verizon...

The interface, the gps, web browsing, mobileme, the interface :)

Dislikes:
Lack of push support for Gmail, some apps are a little buggy/not working. I suspect this will be fixed over the next few days as things get sorted out.

I think for what we pay for iphone and the service, mobileme functionality should be included free. The "cloud" shouldn't cost extra.

No 3G in my area, so EDGE which is much slower than the EVDO on my old phone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
So far coming from a blackberry pearl on verizon...

The interface, the gps, web browsing, mobileme, the interface :)

Dislikes:
Lack of push support for Gmail, some apps are a little buggy/not working. I suspect this will be fixed over the next few days as things get sorted out.

I think for what we pay for iphone and the service, mobileme functionality should be included free. The "cloud" shouldn't cost extra.

No 3G in my area, so EDGE which is much slower than the EVDO on my old phone.

I hope the guys over at Crackberry don't give you a hard time... :D

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I think Mophie will do some brisk business with their Juicepacks for the battery life issue, but on the whole I'm pretty damned happy with it. Between the Apps, 3G, and GPS, I'm satisfied.

Goodbye Treo 700p!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR