So, my brother called me today

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Asking if I was going to switch to the Note 8. He is the only family member still on Samsung and Android. He plans to check out the new Note when released. He wants to see the new iPhone 8 as well. His IT guy has suggested he switch over.

I told him I am extremely happy with my iPhone.
No desire to drop it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hate to break it to you, there's been more security scares on iOS over android. Main difference is apple "supposedly" cares more about your privacy (but allow Google to be a main search engine)

Google pays Apple a boatload of money to be the main search engine. That said, iOS is a more secure platform than Android, hands down. Google has made some major improvements over the past few iterations of Android but they still have problems with fragmentation and pushing out timely security patches. Exploits happen, whether iOS or Android, but Apple can push out a patch within a day while many Android users have to sit there with a vulnerable device for extended periods of time.

duckduckgoose

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Hate to break it to you, there's been more security scares on iOS over android. Main difference is apple "supposedly" cares more about your privacy (but allow Google to be a main search engine)

That is wrong on so many counts. There was news just last week that hundreds of apps on Googles App Store had built in malicious code that was downloaded 100’s of millions times.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Asking if I was going to switch to the Note 8. He is the only family member still on Samsung and Android. He plans to check out the new Note when released. He wants to see the new iPhone 8 as well. His IT guy has suggested he switch over.

I told him I am extremely happy with my iPhone.
No desire to drop it.

This is the first time I didn't even watch the keynote for the Note. I've had every Note since the Note 2. No interest this time around. I'm very happy with my 7 Plus. I just don't see any benefit to going back to the Note at this point. I've added AirPods, Apple Watch and just recently, a MacBook Pro. They all work so well together. I see no reason to mess with it.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
That is wrong on so many counts. There was news just last week that hundreds of apps on Googles App Store had built in malicious code that was downloaded 100’s of millions times.

You know half of those apps were on the  store and we had that same issue.... right? But it was swept under the rug. 🤷🏾*♀️

Can a mod combine my posts?

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm definitely picking up the Note 8. But I'll return it if I think the next iPhone will be better.

BTW, my Samsung Galaxy S8 is very secure. I never once feel like it's been compromised. The "iOS being more secure than Android" thing needs to be put to rest.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Google pays Apple a boatload of money to be the main search engine. That said, iOS is a more secure platform than Android, hands down. Google has made some major improvements over the past few iterations of Android but they still have problems with fragmentation and pushing out timely security patches. Exploits happen, whether iOS or Android, but Apple can push out a patch within a day while many Android users have to sit there with a vulnerable device for extended periods of time.

For sure, fragmentation is the main issue regarding security. Android is dependent on their partners to push security patches out and, just being honest, most aren't overly interested in keeping older devices up to date. A device that's say three years old and on Android L, is one that has a very high chance of having stale security.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

Which is probably why a lot of government agencies issue Android phones instead of iPhones.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm definitely picking up the Note 8. But I'll return it if I think the next iPhone will be better.

BTW, my Samsung Galaxy S8 is very secure. I never once feel like it's been compromised. The "iOS being more secure than Android" thing needs to be put to rest.

Well said @Retinella
It’s just propaganda put out by the iOS fanboys and fangirls.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Eh...a lot of this is because Apple feels the need to baby sit it's users far greater than Android. The insecurity of Android largely is because you're permitted to download apps from wherever you choose. Apple is a much more closed eco-system and they don't permit you do have the same level of freedom you get with Android.

Whether that's good or bad is personal opinion. I personally don't need to be babysat with my device.
A house with a steel fence and security guards who turn all visitors away unless they are on the guest list will always be more secure than the house who allows anyone at their door for the homeowner to decide who gets in.

Fragmentation is a huge issue but the misconception is that this falls only in the laps of Google. The carriers shoulder a large portion of the blame here as well. Android O is supposed to assist with the fragmentation issue but this is what comes with an open operating system used by numerous manufacturers.

Mainly, this constant fear of "security" as it relates to us iPhone owners in our defense of iOS is by and large a non-issue for the majority of cell phone users. It's just something that allows us to sleep better at night. The chances of the majority being affected by these things is quite low.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Just seems like a lot of expired misinformation out there that people are still clinging to. I don't feel insecure at all with my S8.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I haven't had any concerns

I have been hacked on my iPhone twice. To where I had activation locks placed on my phone and then I could no longer activate or use my phone. Twice in 2 years. You think Apple is that secure? Think again. You can find a long thread on a Macrumors with this happening to 100’s of people. 100’s I say.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have been hacked on my iPhone twice. To where I had activation locks placed on my phone and then I could no longer activate or use my phone. Twice in 2 years. You think Apple is that secure? Think again. You can find a long thread on a Macrumors with this happening to 100’s of people. 100’s I say.

I’ve had a virus on my Mac, despite people saying that Macs can’t get viruses.