So much for the X being a "flop"

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I do think people wanted it to be a flop, if only to curb the trend of rising cell phone costs. Regardless, I am enjoying mine, and I see it more and more in the wild. While watching the NFL draft last week, I saw plenty of 10's all over the place.

True, it's all media hype. I wake up and in the morning and have not lost sleep over someone wanting to complain on how they think a Billion dollar company should operate. Apple is Successful for these reasons.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
True, it's all media hype. I wake up and in the morning and have not lost sleep over someone wanting to complain on how they think a Billion dollar company should operate. Apple is Successful for these reasons.

Yep. The "Doom & Gloom" articles get old. They come out every year... but anyone with common sense knows Apple isn't going anywhere. Even if they do have a bad quarter or something it doesn't mean they are just dead (like some of the click-bait articles try and make it sound).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: So much for the X being a "flop"

Where exactly are these analysts getting their information?
I saw a couple articles where they were basing the theory on reports from part suppliers. They were all apparently saying that them shipping components like ram was down for part of the quarter.

I can try to find the article I read, but it was several days ago.

Edit: found it....https://www.cnet.com/news/for-apple...c-mode-with-second-quarter-financial-results/

SK hynix stating lower demand is what I am looking at. They are a major memory supplier. Second only to Samsung as I recall.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I didn't drop $1K on the device. I dropped ~$100 for a DPP for the device.

*shrug*

Either way I think he meant it costs a pretty penny so that held them back some. I am very curious to see if the next iPhone does the normal iPhone sell-out/back-order routine. Depending on price and such I am sure.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Either way I think he meant it costs a pretty penny so that held them back some. I am very curious to see if the next iPhone does the normal iPhone sell-out/back-order routine. Depending on price and such I am sure.

I can't wait to find out.

When I got my jet black iPhone 7 Plus, I had to wait a couple of weeks because it was backordered. The X was the first iPhone I ever purchased on release day without preordering and I got it just by walking into a store. I was surprised, to say the least.

eyesopen1111

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I can't wait to find out.

When I got my jet black iPhone 7 Plus, I had to wait a couple of weeks because it was backordered. The X was the first iPhone I ever purchased on release day without preordering and I got it just by walking into a store. I was surprised, to say the least.

Where were you to have the iPhone X available on launch day? You couldn't do that here in Houston. Specifics, please (actual name and address of store where iPhone X was available, were there any lines of people waiting, etc.).

As for the click-bait, anti iPhone X BS that's been thoroughly discredited, we need some way to broadly shut down fake news media. We need to figure out how these same BS main stream stories come out year after year, so that we can permanently discredit the BS artists who make a living tricking society's suckers into believing nonsense.

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
Flop? I don’t think so. Did it meet their sales expectations? It did not. The high price did factor into it not selling like hot cakes but remember the X was an introduction to where Apple is going with the technology it now has and will continue with the new future releases with all iPhones having Face ID and no home button. Eventually, Apple will make an affordable “X” and it will probably be the best seller.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

Where were you to have the iPhone X available on launch day? You couldn't do that here in Houston. Specifics, please (actual name and address of store where iPhone X was available, were there any lines of people waiting, etc.).

As for the click-bait, anti iPhone X BS that's been thoroughly discredited, we need some way to broadly shut down fake news media. We need to figure out how these same BS main stream stories come out year after year, so that we can permanently discredit the BS artists who make a living tricking society's suckers into believing nonsense.

The iPhone X was actually available in many places where I'm from, especially at area Best Buys and Verizon stores. I know because I personally checked. I'm don't need to give you addresses. I don't owe you that at all.

The iPhone X hasn't met Apple's sales expectations. I can understand people don’t want to hear that but it definitely doesn't make it "fake news".

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
will continue with the new future releases with all iPhones having Face ID and no home button.

This is why I will more than likely hold on to my 8 Plus until it no longer works any more. I will never go for this Face ID thing without a Home button. Thankfully iPhones have a tendency to last quite a few years before its hardware is not able to keep up with the OS.. At that point I'll have to look at other options, because I will not be buying a Face ID product.

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site

This is why I will more than likely hold on to my 8 Plus until it no longer works any more. I will never go for this Face ID thing without a Home button. Thankfully iPhones have a tendency to last quite a few years before its hardware is not able to keep up with the OS.. At that point I'll have to look at other options, because I will not be buying a Face ID product.

I just hope the other brands don’t follow Apple with Face ID only and keep the finger print sensor and other sensors but continue to make it faster and more reliable with innovative ways to keep it on the home screen without the need of a physical button or on the back of the phone. Apple can definitely do this but went in another direction for whatever reason. I happen to like Face ID to a point because it is still not the fastest way to unlock your phone. It does need more time and patience for it to become better than the finger print sensor, which future updates should help it. As of now, it still needs work.

It’s good to have options and you have the right to choose what’s best for your lifestyle. iPhone 8/plus are great phones and will continue to be so until like you’ve said, it becomes unusable but that is a long down the road...

Last edited:

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

My area wasn't sold out either. They sold for sure but nothing like the normal iPhone back-order from the past.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So, "best selling iPhone" means as compared to each other iPhone individually, and not compared to all other iPhones together? If so, I can see how it would be the best seller. No surprise there. But it doesn't mean much. It does sound good to claim that though. I doubt the iPhone X sold as well as Cook thought it would. But that doesn't mean it was a flop. I see it as a successful venture. It's the future of all iPhones.

eyesopen1111

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: So much for the X being a "flop"

The iPhone X was actually available in many places where I'm from, especially at area Best Buys and Verizon stores. I know because I personally checked. I'm don't need to give you addresses. I don't owe you that at all.

The iPhone X hasn't met Apple's sales expectations. I can understand people don’t want to hear that but it definitely doesn't make it "fake news".

So, even with Tim Cook's statement about the iPhone X being Apple's top seller, record profits built in the iPhone X, and Apple's beating their own projections such that Warren Buffet makes a huge increase in his Apple holdings, and you are still talking about disappointing sales!? WTF? <redacted>

And what would it cost you to provide a specific address of a location where the iPhone X was supposedly available on launch day? I don't even understand the concept of why you would have to owe me something to be honest. Here, I'll set the example of an honest answer: "Houston, Texas has multiple Apple Stores and there were no iPhone X's available at launch, even when the inventory search was run by Apple employees of distant stores." See how easy that was? Yikes.

Last edited by a moderator:

eyesopen1111

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
My area wasn't sold out either. They sold for sure but nothing like the normal iPhone back-order from the past.

And just what is your "area"? Country, state, city, and store type (Apple Store or some other store?) I just want enough information to investigate these claims. Can you help?

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Re: So much for the X being a &quot;flop&quot;

So, even with Tim Cook's statement about the iPhone X being Apple's top seller, record profits built in the iPhone X, and Apple's beating their own projections such that Warren Buffet makes a huge increase in his Apple holdings, and you are still talking about disappointing sales!? WTF? <redacted>

And what would it cost you to provide a specific address of a location where the iPhone X was supposedly available on launch day? I don't even understand the concept of why you would have to owe me something to be honest. Here, I'll set the example of an honest answer: "Houston, Texas has multiple Apple Stores and there were no iPhone X's available at launch, even when the inventory search was run by Apple employees of distant stores." See how easy that was? Yikes.

Your post is disrespectful. That's why I don't owe you a thing.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I just want enough information to investigate these claims. Can you help?

ph33r mah l33t investigative skillz (sorry, couldn't help it) ....... In two seconds using Google I found several news articles, with photos of customers inside the Apple stores and outside of the stores lined up down sidewalks.... on Nov 3, 2017, launch day;

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/11/iphone-x-arriving-in-stores-around-the-world/#mn_p

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/03/iphone-x-launch-celebrated-by-apple/

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elena4151