So I think all this losing my signal drama is Apple, NOT Carrier related.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So I am on (unlucky) #21 of 4S now (in 16 months) and I finally decided to actually really actively read the entire logs in my phone. I found several things of interest last night right after the latest loss of service, here are three specific snippets.

I started googling parts of this looking for anything specific to that string...and this appears to be a mostly 4S/iOS5/not-fixed-in-iOS6 problem. It literally started for me when my iPhone 4 got stolen which happened like 2 weeks before the 4S came out. I had a 4 and had issues, but upgraded to a 4S when it came out. I have spent COUNTLESS hours over the last 16 months dealing with this crap, and this is the first little tidbit that I have actually figured out that makes it seem that it's NOT a carrier issue, it's OS related. Apple keeps swapping the phone out but boy do they like to point it to the carrier. Considering I've even gone so far as to change my damn phone number and get new accounts set up and it's STILL happening...its pretty safe for me to assume it's definitely Apple.

By "losing signal", my phone would do just that, lose signal. Go to "searching" or "no service", and it would last anywhere from a minute to in some cases an hour, or never come back, and even WIFI wouldn't connect during those times. Eventually it would come back on it's own, but restarting, pulling/replacing SIM, toggling airplane mode, didn't matter. I would try leaving "DATA ROAMING" on too, and that didn't make a difference either.

timestamp: 1361772060394
crashReporterKey: "a19efe05cc1b13fc51deb34c3490e61cf790011c"
isAnonymous: true
deviceConfigId: 152
investigationId: 0
model: "iPhone4,1"
softwareBuild: "10B146"
firmwareVersion: "iBoot-1537.9.55"
basebandVersion: "3.4.02"
buildtype: "User"
metriclogs {
triggerTime: 1361772060145
triggerId: 458758
profileId: 152043
metricCCDiagnosticsAllowed {
allowed: true
timestamp: 1361772060176
cellularCallCount {
timestamp: 1361744179802
period_seconds: 86400
num_multi_rab_ever_calls: 1
num_multi_rab_end_calls: 0
num_total_calls_wcdma: 5
num_connected_calls_wcdma: 2
num_normal_release_calls_wcdma: 5
release_cause_count_connected_wcdma {
release_cause: 145
mrab: MRAB_NONE
num_calls: 1
}
release_cause_count_connected_wcdma {
mrab: MRAB_EVER
num_calls: 1
}
release_cause_count_not_connected_wcdma {
mrab: MRAB_NONE
num_calls: 3
}
total_connected_seconds_wcdma: 8
metriclogs {
triggerTime: 1361843613068
triggerId: 524310
profileId: 152037
metricsCCBasebandReset {
reason: "Baseband Crash. State = Initialized"
inVoiceCall: false
rat: 2
PLMN: "310410"
timestamp: 1361843613068

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
so now that you have this kind of info pointing you to the direction of the iOS keeping, or rather not keeping signal....where do you go from here?

how the heck were you even able to interpret what the crash logs meant, i mean, when you googled it, did you google the entire contents of the crash log to figure it out?

I'm glad you've found *something*, even if its not the entire cause. Hopefully you'll be able to find a resolution now and put a stop to the madness you've been dealing with for all this time !

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I KNOW. The only answer I got from anyone at Apple today was "either hardware (bad antenna) or a bad install of OS update". So I am going BACK to the store today after work to see what they think. Im willing to try a fresh OS install but this is ridic. Im about to just freaking upgrade and use my upgrade credit and save my Apple gift card and buy the 5S and see if this crap stops with the upgrade. All the stuff I seem to find just on Apple's communities points at 4S mostly. Frankly the fact that this many have bad antennas is pretty scary. But Im not gonna do this much longer. I have had it. I have been so freaking accommodating, and I have done all the damn legwork.

I really just sat there reading looking for crashes, signals and anything really related to failure, and finally came to something that made sense. It took a while though. I have a TON of old ones too at home, I am going to waste a night going through those and see what I can find that matches. As far as interpretation, I had to involve my husband and google.

I googled the whole baseband crashing segment and that brought up stuff only on Apple Communities. So then I started pulling just sections out and went from there. Almost all of it went to Apple boards and that it was related to the 4S and iOS5/6. What I found interesting was that anything that didn't bring me to TONS of people with this same issue related to a baseband crashing error on a 4s with iOS5/6 was that a lot of people use Baseband Crashing to JB. I would not have ever known that in a gazillion years and I have no idea how that's related at all though. If it said anything about JB/exploits I closed it bec it wasn't relevant. Or current.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Did I read that right--this is your 21st iPhone?!? I don't care who makes it, at that point I would definitely find a different kind of phone!

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Did I read that right--this is your 21st iPhone?!? I don't care who makes it, at that point I would definitely find a different kind of phone!

I was thinking the same thing; you must be a dedicated fan! I'm afraid I would've jumped ship about 19 phones ago. :rolleyes:

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Yes you have, and I now have number 22. And it's 22nd iphone 4S. That would be 24th if you count the 4 that was stolen and it's replacement.

You haven't provided enough info just the log. A cursory glance shows you had a baseband crash. That could be Apples fault or not. There could be carrier network issues that cause a baseband issue.

Now I'm trying to assign fault or lack thereof, but unless you have other info you haven't posted yet, just the presence of a baseband crash log does not indicate fault.
I've been posting about this for 16 months so Im sure there's more you can read about under my username. What other information do you need that would be more useful? ATT has sent me RF Engineers to run traceroutes while at my house and office and parents house, where I am the most often, and while they are present they can witness it with three other iPhones and an iPad in their presence none of which loses the signal. Mine is the only one that does.

I still don't see anything that specifically points to Apple so I'm curious what in your research pointed that way. Again I'm not saying you're incorrect, just curious because just the presence of a baseband crash log does not indicate anything. It could be something carrier related since the baseband is more or less directly related to cellular communication with the towers. Or yes Apple could have something screwed up.

I do find it unlikely but not impossible that you've gotten 21 phones with bad antennas and/or bad software in a row. Yes Apple can make bad hardware and have software bugs, but common sense would seem to indicate that the problem was more likely something that has remained constant between all 21 phones and that would be the carrier or maybe even carrier network software on the cell tower that you connect to most often.

I'm sure this has been enormously frustrating and if you have found the cause, that's great. But is like more details about the underlying problem if you have them.
If anything remained constant, it would make sense that it was carrier based, and if other iPhones using my SIM card had the same issue (my husbands and my brothers are often used by me with my SIM as tests, neither of which have been able to repeat the issue) it would also point to the carrier, and not the hardware. The locations of the issue are never the same so that rules out any specific cell tower. If it allowed me to use Wifi during the loss of service, I would think that it's something related to the carrier also, but the whole phone is generally rendered useless til it comes back, and a restart doesn't usually fix the issue. It happens in other cities as often as it happens here (ex: when travelling for work, DFW, MPLS, etc).

They've actually replaced the two towers near my home within the last year, unrelated to my situation, and I know at least the ones near my office are all fairly new as well. I have to assume at this point it's a combo but I am leaning to hardware. In 16 months I have had 4 different accounts with the carrier, and even got a new phone number set up on a new account (as if I was a new customer) with a new phone, new sim, new everything. It did it on that phone too, almost immediately even, the Apple Genii got to watch. No one has any explanation. Both point the finger at the other, but Apple has started taking a little more claim of the issue recently. But knowing that so many people on so many carriers have had the problem based on what I find online, that leaves the finger pointing to the hardware, because when you search for the issue, it comes up as an issue with many of the carriers, not just this one.

I've also replaced cables quite a few times, to rule that out. I never restore from a backup, everything is new. And several times I've never bothered to sync apps or photos or music over, I left it completely stock. Makes zero difference.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I've seen some of the other posts but not all. I'm mainly wondering what specifically in the crash report, other than the fact that it exists, leads you to your conclusion.
The fact that it's generated with that data immediately after that event happens is my first clue that it's hardware.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Your first post seemed to indicate that there was something specifically in the crash report (like a code that could be traced to the problem) so that's why I was very confused about what you were finding there. If it was just proximity in time to the issue, then that makes more sense.
The only "code" is that it's giving me baseband. According to what I can get from apple that's os or hardware, usually. That's all I can get anyone to freaking tell me though. I was hoping they would do a fresh OS install or something, but they just swapped it. I really want to know what the reason for this is and a fix, and not just keep getting replacements. And so far that's not happening.

If you have any ideas, or insight, or experience to share I'd love to read it. Here or in PM. Because I am seriously at the end of this road.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Baseband is sort of the software bridge between the phones hardware and connecting to the cell towers. So that's why I was saying the problem could be on Apple's side or the carrier's. but unfortunately I'm not a telecom/mobile engineer, so I don't know much else.

Maybe you've already tried this, but you can restore the phones software yourself by using iTunes to do a "restore as new". I don't know if that would help or not.
Oh yes, I have tried that several times, on every phone, as well as new SIMs with every phone (as in I get a new one for each one, and then many times another before I replace the phone) as well as having the "genii" do it in the apple store as a "fresh download" install, like DFU mode or whatever. It never makes a difference, neither does swapping sims or "reset network settings". I actually do it all now to cut that step out before the calls start bec I know that's going to be part of the process. That was my plan yesterday again was to have a fresh install but they replaced it instead, which I did not expect or really want to do necessarily. If for no other reason than I had a perfect install of a screen protector. Oh well!

My husband is actually a telecom engineer, formerly for Big Red and now Big Blue, and he believes that the fact that it's happening across so many carriers that it's probably antenna hardware. And if it wasn't for him working there, this trouble ticket would be overlooked. He keeps bumping it for me, making sure it's checked into. He's the reason I knew who to get it escalated to, frankly.

The fact that it's seeming to be so widespread is curious, and since it seems like it's still a problem in the 5 (just from googling) that's not looking good. He said if it was JUST one carrier, he could point a finger at ATT or whomever, or say, just GSM carriers, but it's across the board, which to him says it's something with the antenna in the 4S and how the OS interacts with that. I have tried various cases, and it makes no difference. I've gone with and without screen protectors just to see if that makes a difference, and it doesn't. But it seems like very few people with the 4 have this problem, just the 4S, and now the 5. So something is different about the antenna from those versions. And it seems to have started with iOS5 AND that antenna.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Considering I've even gone so far as to change my damn phone number and get new accounts set up and it's STILL happening...its pretty safe for me to assume it's definitely Apple.

I'm sorry for your issue, but I do have a question. How could changing your phone number and setting up new accounts change the carriers signal issues? That's based off of strength of signal and proximity to the tower. And any flaws therein or disruptions caused by other sources. I don't see how the numbers in their database could change this.

I'll agree with others, it could be Apple, but I have never run in to this issue. Is it common among other iPhone users in your area? Is common to other users of your wireless provider in your area? If the answer to those questions is no, I'd be absolutely dumbfounded, I've never heard of anyone getting 23 consecutive faulty devices ever. Ever. Is the signal loss common to particular areas? As in, does it always go out in the same spots? Or is it truly random?

Mobile engaged, message transmitted

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
ATT has sent me RF Engineers to run traceroutes while at my house and office and parents house, where I am the most often, and while they are present they can witness it with three other iPhones and an iPad in their presence none of which loses the signal. Mine is the only one that does.

What happens if you then put your SIM into one of the phones that doesn't lose signal? Does that one suddenly go dead?
It almost sounds like the issue is you in some weird way--any reason you'd be emitting some odd radiation that might interfere with radio waves?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Another note, I'd recommend keeping a written log of when your issue occurs. And write down time, location, and length of time of the issue.
Do this for at least a week and see if you notice a pattern. And also find out how close (or far) you are from the closest tower for your carrier, too close and you lose signal.

Mobile engaged, message transmitted

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry for your issue, but I do have a question. How could changing your phone number and setting up new accounts change the carriers signal issues? That's based off of strength of signal and proximity to the tower. And any flaws therein or disruptions caused by other sources. I don't see how the numbers in their database could change this.

I'll agree with others, it could be Apple, but I have never run in to this issue. Is it common among other iPhone users in your area? Is common to other users of your wireless provider in your area? If the answer to those questions is no, I'd be absolutely dumbfounded, I've never heard of anyone getting 23 consecutive faulty devices ever. Ever. Is the signal loss common to particular areas? As in, does it always go out in the same spots? Or is it truly random?

Another note, I'd recommend keeping a written log of when your issue occurs. And write down time, location, and length of time of the issue.
Do this for at least a week and see if you notice a pattern. And also find out how close (or far) you are from the closest tower for your carrier, too close and you lose signal.
I have a 16 month long written log. Every single instance has an address or intersection where it occurred. I have to email them every week with the log so they have it in the system and we have conference calls where it's discussed. 66% of the occurrences happen when the phone has been "sleeping" and not actively being used, so I go to use the phone and it's searching for signal, and for however long. 34% of the time (not exact math obviously) its when I am in the middle of using the phone for something, texting or whatever. There's not a pattern at all as far as consistently happening in the same locations, as it happens all over the place in my city and in other cities.

As far as changing numbers and accounts is concerned: ATT asked me to do that to rule out an issue with the line, meaning my number could have been corrupted by the theft, it was a long shot, but I agreed to it. It's still my number and it's isolated to a separate account and that SIM right now is just in a little GO PHONE since it is the number tied to my business.

What happens if you then put your SIM into one of the phones that doesn't lose signal? Does that one suddenly go dead?
It almost sounds like the issue is you in some weird way--any reason you'd be emitting some odd radiation that might interfere with radio waves?
When I put my SIM into another phone (example of my husbands or my brothers) that hasn't exhibited this behavior, it operates as it should, meaning no signal losses. It operates as it should. Which is why we keep pointing to hardware. The ONLY consistent thing about the entire issue is that it's been iPhones. And almost all were iPhone4S. And doing research on this points to the the phone hardware. Because tons of other people on other carriers appear to have the same issue. And I can sit at a table with my entire family, and be the only one who doesn't have service at the entire table and we all have the same phone and only one person doesn't have the same carrier. And we can pass the phones around and I can have someone else's phone in my hand and they still have service. So it's my phone still. So we keep going back to hardware or MY line/account. And since I got a new line and new account, that would rule that out, right? But I will say this: your line about ME radiating something...It's something I seriously thought about last night. Me and two of the Genii were talking about it...I don't have a pacemaker or any sort of medical devices, or in my house either...I sat there trying to think if I would have been around radioactive anything recently (like a procedure) but Im allergic to iodine so I can't get procedures like that anyway usually since most have iodinated substances in them, even in trace amounts.

It REALLY is baffling. I don't know what it is. They seem to have NO idea. I pick my husbands brain ALL THE TIME on this. He has spent a lot of time on this himself. It makes zero sense. But seeing how many complaints there are online...that makes me think it's not just me, and that maybe it's not related to my theft at all, that it's OS/hardware.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to MetllicaMilitia for his help, I am going to look into a possible downgrade of OS for a specific build, and go from there. It appears iOS5.0.1 had a specific build update to fix this issue and it seems many people had a fix from it. I don't recall it helping me at the time, but it's worth a shot to try now. This latest phone is barely 20 hours old in my hands. But I think I might see if my local Apple store will oblige me with an install of it fresh and see how that goes.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to MetllicaMilitia for his help, I am going to look into a possible downgrade of OS for a specific build, and go from there. It appears iOS5.0.1 had a specific build update to fix this issue and it seems many people had a fix from it. I don't recall it helping me at the time, but it's worth a shot to try now. This latest phone is barely 20 hours old in my hands. But I think I might see if my local Apple store will oblige me with an install of it fresh and see how that goes.

I know it's been a while but what is the update to all of this madness ?

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !