Siri won't read texts

Mister869

May 20, 2010
Visit site
When I have a new text message and Siri to read it all she does is tell me I have a message from.... and then she asks if I want to reply or read again. If I choose read again, she does the same thing.
Any one else have this problem?
Any settings or ideas on what I can try?

Thanks

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
I've had similar issue. If I don't ask Siri to read the text right after I receive it, the text doesn't seem "new enough" for Siri to read. It's odd but keep in mind Siri is still beta.

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Do you have it set to show the message preview? If you have that turned off, Siri won't read the message because presumably, you don't want just anyone to be able to read (o r have Siri read) the text

Manzanas

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Siri doesn't read my texts neither. It says "You have no new messages", yet if I unlock my phone and go to the text, and ask Siri again, THEN it goes ahead and reads it.

Manzanas

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I have text review but only on the banner, not alert (where it pops up in the center of the screen).
For privacy reasons I don't intend to change it.

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Siri isn't reading my messages either.. it used to.. weird.. it says "new message from ___ and then says nothing.. then says "you can reply"

frustrating..but yes, it is still beta so maybe thise kinks will get worked out.

Mister869

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok, looked at all the posts in this thread so i decided to do some testing.

Here is what i can tell
With preview off, Siri can read the text if my phone is on (not on the lock screen)
She cannot read the message if i am in the lock screen.

With preview on, she can read if from both the on and lock screen, but that is kind of pointless since with the preview on, i can see the message as i grab the phone to ask for Siri's help.

Agreed, still beta and it will improve, but thought i would pass on what i am finding on my end.

Manzanas

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

Here is what i can tell
With preview off, Siri can read the text if my phone is on (not on the lock screen)

With preview on, she can read if from both the on and lock screen, but that is kind of pointless since with the preview on, i can see the message as i grab the phone to ask for Siri's help.

Agreed, still beta and it will improve, but thought i would pass on what i am finding on my end.

Preview on? Are you talking about the alert (pop up message) or the banner alert?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Here is what i can tell

Thank you for sharing this info Mr869. I thought I was losing my mind (wouldn't be anything new:plol) when I was on iOS5 Siri worked to read my tx msgs regardless if my screen was locked or not and I never used the preview feature.

When I upgraded to iOS5.0.1, and recd a tx yest while driving--I asked Siri to read it (from my lock screen) and all she did was tell me "you have a new tx msg from Jax" but then didn't read it. I was like WTF I know that featured worked before I've used it all the time.

This is when I found your post, and today when I recd a tx msg and unlocked my screen and asked her to read it she did with no problems. So I'm guessing that something between 5 and 5.0.1 changed, at least for me it did.

I don't like putting the preview on because I don't want to advertise my tx msgs so I guess il have to unlock and then ask Siri to read it.

So, tyvm for testing this outnand coming up with this info-- and sharing it with the rest of the class:)

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for sharing this info Mr869. I thought I was losing my mind (wouldn't be anything new:plol) when I was on iOS5 Siri worked to read my tx msgs regardless if my screen was locked or not and I never used the preview feature.

When I upgraded to iOS5.0.1, and recd a tx yest while driving--I asked Siri to read it (from my lock screen) and all she did was tell me "you have a new tx msg from Jax" but then didn't read it. I was like WTF I know that featured worked before I've used it all the time.

This is when I found your post, and today when I recd a tx msg and unlocked my screen and asked her to read it she did with no problems. So I'm guessing that something between 5 and 5.0.1 changed, at least for me it did.

I don't like putting the preview on because I don't want to advertise my tx msgs so I guess il have to unlock and then ask Siri to read it.

So, tyvm for testing this outnand coming up with this info-- and sharing it with the rest of the class:)

Im guessing its because you have the preview off. I have the preview on and she reads them as normal

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
]
Im guessing its because you have the preview off. I have the preview on and she reads them as normal

noaim, the strange thing is on iOS5 I didn't have preview set to on either and it worked for Siri to read my txs from the lock screen. So idk. I guess with iOS5.0.1 you need to have the preview on for it to work now.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I would want Siri to auto read my messages......:D

Hi Pink......:D
:D hi AP !! ok, so what are YOU hiding that can't be said out loud LOL. :p

I actually use this feature when I'm driving and my kids are trying to get in touch with me, instead of having to pull over and read the msg, Siri can read it for me!!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
If you only knew......;)

:eek: nah...I'm good. I dont wanna know:p lol.

OK: update to this. In case anyone in new & a little clueless like me being a first time iPhone owner and using Siri, lol, I got Siri to read my tx msgs even with my lock screen on. I went into "settings/notifications/messages" I turned "preview" ON, but I turned "view in lock screen" OFF.

And presto. Now as I'm driving I can have Siri read my txs without going thru slide to unlock first:)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR