Siri Remote likes and dislikes

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a lot of bad reviews about the Siri remote for Apple TV 4 but I actually like it a lot. My only wish is that it had a numerical keypad but then I'd probably complain that it's too big.

What do you think about the Siri Remote? Would you like to see any design or functionality changes?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Having the Siri remote makes the hard keyboard mostly unnecessary (unless you're dictating your Netflix or iTunes password in front of company!). I've found dictation super helpful in searching for shows/movies rather than having to type it.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Having the Siri remote makes the hard keyboard mostly unnecessary (unless you're dictating your Netflix or iTunes password in front of company!). I've found dictation super helpful in searching for shows/movies rather than having to type it.

I too like dictation except I almost never do it for passwords. I use all random, complex passwords for everything so saying each character and hoping Siri gets it right is an exercise in futility.

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
I love the remote. I didn't think I would since I loathe the tv 3 remote. I don't use dictation for passwords either. I have very long and complex passwords. I just copy and paste them from 1Password.

The only change I'd make is make it thicker. But I have a Griffin Survivor case that has solved that problem for me.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I too like dictation except I almost never do it for passwords. I use all random, complex passwords for everything so saying each character and hoping Siri gets it right is an exercise in futility.

I do, too, but I still manage. A few times it has tripped me up but not too bad.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Would you like to see any design or functionality changes?

A design in which I can tell which way it's directed when I pick it up in a dark room so I don't accidentally hit the wrong button.

I just made a really hacky hack by wrapping a zip tie on the bottom portion so I can tell the difference instantly.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It should have been a tad longer. The bottom corners start to hurt my palm if I've been using it for quite some time.

A design in which I can tell which way it's directed when I pick it up in a dark room so I don't accidentally hit the wrong button.

I just made a really hacky hack by wrapping a zip tie on the bottom portion so I can tell the difference instantly.

When it's dark and I pick it up, I just click the flat surface on top. If it's clickable I'm holding it right. If not, I'm holding it upside down.

You could also try to feel the lightning port with your nails.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I have the Griffin case and the Apple tail/strap which make it a lot easier to tell, and the case is protective of the expensive remote (think a Wii controller cover)

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the Griffin case and the Apple tail/strap which make it a lot easier to tell, and the case is protective of the expensive remote (think a Wii controller cover)

I second the Griffin Survivor case. I have a "clear" one for the family room remote and a black one for the bedroom. Since Apple TV is our primary portal into anything we watch on television I think it's money well spent to protect the tiny Siri Remote.

As an added benefit the rubber covering the bottom third of the remote surface makes it easier to tell which way the remote is facing in a dark room.

e72be989c184edf054b6cbb4a337afa3.jpg
f112e76171006ad3909ee4021c3410b5.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice