Siri in the real world

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
If you're like me, a person who has never actually seen other people using Siri in action.

You would probably like to know the number of people who have used Siri in real world situations.

I have actually used Siri in the real world. For transport and the bus system. A fellow passenger wanted to know the location of a store in the area. I couldn't answer him, because I've never been there, but I knew there was one. That's where Siri came in. I asked where it was, she pinpointed it, and I was able to relay it back to the tourist.

Stories must not be at home.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've done that a few times for people and I am grateful that Siri performed well during those times.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Still too unreliable. I'm afraid to use it in front of other people. If I ask for the nearest pharmacy, Siri is just as likely to show me a pharmacy, start playing my Chemical Romance, or text my resignation to my boss. Siri is getting better, but still more of a novelty than a tool.

april_n_paris

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, Siri does not know her (nor his) way around Paris as yet. Other than telling me the weather, she was of no help with "location based" information there. P.S. The French version of Siri is a guy.

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I only really use Siri when driving, or wile talking to someone and something comes up that I want her to look for. Otherwise ill just type it. Haven't seen it being used by other people.

edit: i also have added tons of functionality to siri with jailbreak tweaks, and i still dont use it that often. but its good that its there when i need it.

Last edited:

DarshOne

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
literally all i can use siri for is telling it to set an alarm to wake me up, adn thats a pretty simple command done in a quiet room. every time i have attempted to use siri in a real world situation all it can do is think and eventually offer me a web search. not even close to how its portrayed.

nolhayes

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I use it quite often for reminders and alarms. To search the web. I set timers at work for break time. In front of people in social situations its often hard to use if your for example in a noisy place or just talking to someone, how are you going to interrupt that person to talk to siri when you can just type it.
But otherwise siri is very useful.

And especially the jailbreak tweak that allows you to enable wifi and disable it. And open apps.

jclardy#IM

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
If I use it in public it is always with the "raise to speak" option, so it just looks like I am talking to someone on the phone. Besides, I don't want random people listening to what reminders/notes/calendar entries I am creating.

I use Siri normally if I am alone or just with friends/family. But not in public places.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Siri is for lonely people. It would be kind of weird for several people to be using Siri at the same time. It's usually only for one person out of a group.

sogaduch

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Siri is for lonely people. It would be kind of weird for several people to be using Siri at the same time. It's usually only for one person out of a group.

Lonely like people like John Malkovich sitting in his chair having espresso listening to opera.

peterthomas

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Though I haven't used Siri myself as of now, but from the views of people that I have seen here and in other forums and platforms, people generally are having a mix view about the use of Siri, some call it a miracle, other call it a disastrous, i am so confused about its nature!
However, after reading such stories, I think the winners are those who says that Siri is a miracle. Keeping some basic problems behind, if Siri can help in such situation, it means its really worth using!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, Siri is accurate most of the time, however, there are times when it is not and I have to repeat myself, but such times are rare. Siri is not human and like humans, it is not perfect. It is server based for one thing and several factors can affect its performance such as background noise, dialect, speaking speed to name a few. Siri is a tool with limitations, but some people expect it to be like K.I.T.T. from the Knight Rider TV series and it is not. Some are upset that it doesn't work as flawless as it does in the TV commercials, but heck, that is like expecting your food to look as delicious as it does on both print & TV ads or expecting a celebrity to look as blemish free as he or she does in the magazines, in my opinion. As I aforementioned in an earlier post, if you have a reasonable expectation of Siri, it is great. Anyway, take care and have a great day. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

menithings

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I still have an iPhone 4 but my GF has the 4S. She uses Siri a modest amount; mostly for setting reminders (often with geo fencing), the timer, and sometimes for texting.

I grab her phone now and then to say random and often stupid things to Siri. The responses are usually usable and sometimes rather funny. Looking forward to getting the iPhone 5 to finally integrate that technology into my daily life.

RayHollister

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I used to use Siri every night to set my alarm clock, but her attitude was getting on my nerves. Then, I realized I could just set a reoccurring alarm for each weekday. I felt kinda stupid at that point.

I use it all the time in public, though. Especially while I'm walking along the river walk, and I need to check my calendar and schedule an appointment. LOL but seriously, I did see someone recreating that scene from the commercial on our river walk here in Jacksonville. I use Siri a lot while I'm walking to the bus stop.

Last edited:

Quackinup

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Would be nice if that recurring alarm could be set for every other week. My shift goes MoTu FrSaSu WeTh so I need it to do every other Monday, every other Tuesday, etc. Until I can do that I still need to have Siri set it each night. I also love using Siri while out and about listening to music. Can tell Siri to grab one of my songs off iTunes Match without searching through 18,000 tracks for it myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh