Since Netflix changed its prices

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You obviously don't have grandkids :)

We buy a lot of DVDs as much as the grandkids watch them... and want to borrow them... also, try taking "streaming" on a road trip. :)

I generally rip my purchases immediately and put the disk away, but we still have it available for loan and for trips... best of both worlds...

... til now... :(

Oh sir...the wife and I don't even have regular kids, much less grand kids, lol! :D I do have a niece and nephews though, the niece is like the Xfinity master on Comcast, and the nephews know bit torrents like they were taught it from birth...on road trips (or plane trips), i just make sure the macbook and iPad are full of movies and we're good to go.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
When I was visiting my nephews recently, I hooked up my Netflix account on their Wii. We found one of the movies that my kids watched [endlessly] when they were about the same ages. My nephews loved it (Little Monsters with Howie Mandel and Fred Savage). And now they can watch it endlessly - without worrying about losing the dvd, or putting it away.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm dumping it. The streaming selection is no better than what I have on Comcast. It can already take forever waiting on blu-rays to come in the mail so dropping to just discs is not worth it either.

Plus combined with the library of DVDs I have at my finger tips on my home system and HBO Go I have no lack of content to watch.

Ham Solo

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
We only subscribe to the streaming service in our household. I feel for those that have the cheaper "combo" pack, though.

accessoriesguy

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Netflix sucks.

you know I always wondered how netflix would make most of its money, it sounds difficult to make enough money a month to purchase enough new movies so that everyone could get what they wanted to see when they wanted. Although they get to keep the collection of movies, people would constantly want new movies rather then just old ones.

I thought streaming was a great idea, but then again they need to house servers, and technicians, and people to set up the streaming. It is actually a great service but must have also come at a great price, knowing how technology works.

Honestly most companies try to not make drastic changes, but I believe netflix is just trying to cope with its difficult business start up plan.

If they make it over this bump, netflix could become profitable and only in the even farther future would they be able to lower there prices again, its all a game of client volume.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Wow, I haven't got an email yet. So what's the pricing scale?

here is the email i received yesterday:

Dear _____,

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.

?The Netflix Team

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So in a nutshell thank you for your support but we are now raising our rate by 60% and giving you no discount whatsoever for subscribing to both. Hmmm something seems wrong here.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
btw i bought the apple tv weeks ago bc of netflix but now it will be useless since im caneling my netflix account.

I'm not too mad at Netflix, they'll soon stop offering DVD's all together... I never returned them in a timely fashion anyways, so I ended up getting 2-3 a month. I've been a Netflix customer since 2009. I'm still content being able to stream through my ATV2.

Best thing I did was Jailbreak my ATV2. Now I run Plex on it and stream from my laptop which is now my media server... However, my 1tb hard drive is being eaten alive by the amount of movies and tv shows I have. Either way, it's an option.

fubaracing7374

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I have both now and its going to be tough to figure out what the best way ahead will be. In a world of streaming, their streaming selection is sub-par at best.

melissary

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
We cancelled -- plain & simple. It's annoying that they hiked the price, and we rarely use the streaming because I watch so many different TV shows each night that it wasn't worth the price. Bye Netflix!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Since i haven't used it in quite a while, did they ever start legitimately adding new movies to the library or was it more of the same...for every new movie added, 20 obscure movies from the 80's and 90's were added?

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Since i haven't used it in quite a while, did they ever start legitimately adding new movies to the library or was it more of the same...for every new movie added, 20 obscure movies from the 80's and 90's were added?

More of the same. Streaming especially was very guilty of that. There's plenty of stuff to stream but more than half of it you've probably never heard of.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
When you throw in the fact that Sony/Starz recently pulled their offerings from the Netflix streaming catalog, it sort of make the whole thing not worth it, IMHO.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I hope they add that back ( Sony/Starz) if it gets any worse than yeah I will pull my subscription but still not a bad deal the way it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
When you throw in the fact that Sony/Starz recently pulled their offerings from the Netflix streaming catalog, it sort of make the whole thing not worth it, IMHO.

I totally agree. I was hardly using it anymore so this unexpected price hike kind of just motivated me to finally cancel.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77