SIM Tray Dust

Armada

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I thought the seam of the SIM tray looked awfully pronounced today on my green 5C. I thought "It can't be dust, it's only been a few days!" but lo and behold when I popped it out, a thin layer of dust managed to accumulate in there. After cleaning it, it looks almost unnoticeable. I wonder if it came like that OOB and was a byproduct of the manufacturing or if it can build up there pretty rapidly. Anyway, I'll report back here when I know. I figure this would be very noticeable on other green ones, as well as yellow and white. Anyone else seen this? Not a big issue, just a little niggle.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and please report back if it happens again....:)...Take care.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I also haven't see or heard of this happening, would of thought it be closed tight enough to avoid that. Something to watch for.

Armada

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've cleaned it out twice over the past few days. Dust just keeps getting into the seam. I've tried reseating the tray to make sure there's no gaps, but it comes back. It doesn't effect the reading of the SIM, by any means. It just feels like I shouldn't be able to notice the SIM tray, but the dust getting in there makes a pretty pronounced outline. Do you think it's a defect? Should I take it to an Apple Store? I don't have anyone else to compare it to in person; no one has a 5c besides me. Thank and I'd feel awfully silly about making a big deal out of just a cosmetic niggle...

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you keep getting dust in there, I would definitely take it in and get it looked at. Sounds like a hardware issue to me.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.

Last edited:

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Also you should start using a holster, because pockets can be very dusty. I have always used a holster with all my phones up to and including my 5s. Also maybe the tray wasn't fully in or something (just a passing thought).

Armada

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Well the sim tray is just like that according the Genius at the Apple store. So I'll have to clean it or just ignore it. Was worth checking. At least I know I won't be alone in dust world. Even the store models had that problem. He seemed surprised but it's not like he could fix it.

fluppyboy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Well the sim tray is just like that according the Genius at the Apple store. So I'll have to clean it or just ignore it. Was worth checking. At least I know I won't be alone in dust world. Even the store models had that problem. He seemed surprised but it's not like he could fix it.
Dust is probably a lot more visible on a coloured plastic shell than it would be on brushed aluminium, too...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73