Signal Loss on iPhone 5

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed a few times now that my phone goes from 4G (AT&T) down to either edge or no signal. I don't live in an LTE area. Then when I'm back in an area with known service, it won't reconnect without toggling the airplane mode. Anyone else seeing this on any other carrier? I think it may be an iOS 6 issue? Hopefully not an issue with the iPhone 5 itself!

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a Sprint iPhone 5, and have noticed it kicking off of wifi while in standby... But that's a known issue. Haven't seen it drop 3G but it does drop LTE in standby as well. I don't know of its trying to save power or what - I'm in an LTE area but don't generally leave LTE switched on unless I'm actively using it to conserve battery, but the times I have left it on on accident I've noticed when it'll drop LTE for 3G on occasion.

Note: I have perfect signal for both 3G and LTE (and WiMAX before) where I live, so it's definitely not a fringe area issue.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Or possibly the SIM. It can be either of the 3. I would say remove the sim, reboot (hold home and power button until restart) the phone and see if it gets better. You can also reset network settings too in settings. Try those and see what happens.

emozdashietxp

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
i also have an issue, i lose signal even in open areas randomlyfor 30 minutes at a time. i found myself constantly resetting the network. ive had no issues until recently. whether im at home on wifi, open public on lte signal has massive drops. running on at&t network

iphonefizzle

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
i noticed that mine does it as well it will say no service for up to 20 mins i woke up this morning and it was there again no services i restarted the phone and it connected back to the network i will just watch if it continues i say just visit either apple store or att store i will do a screen shot the next time i get it.

jake501

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I'm not alone.. it happened to me twice last week, I'm on the road alot with my job. while in an area i know has service I look at my phone and I have no bars? it says 4g but I'm flatlined, data not working? I toggle airplane mode and I get my bars back with sevice? AT&T non LTE area..

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed a few times now that my phone goes from 4G (AT&T) down to either edge or no signal. I don't live in an LTE area. Then when I'm back in an area with known service, it won't reconnect without toggling the airplane mode. Anyone else seeing this on any other carrier? I think it may be an iOS 6 issue? Hopefully not an issue with the iPhone 5 itself!

My 4S did this more than randomly. Neither iOs6 nor iPhone 5. It's at&t.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I failed to mention I had an iPhone 4 and this never happened. Only since either iOS 6 or iPhone 5. Not sure which is the culprit.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm also having this problem with my 4s..just happened again yesterday while I was out, and that was the third time since the iOS 6 update

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed the same thing. I am with Verizon and saw 30-40mbps speeds on LTE with my android. Since switching to the Five (preordered) I have seen a drop of speed to no better than 12-17mbps at best. I have also noticed that I lose high speed and go down to 1x quite a lot.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon & haven't had any issues on my iPhone 5 or my son's 4S running iOS6. I'm in great service area & my signal is always strong for LTE & 3G

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Verizon & haven't had any issues on my iPhone 5 or my son's 4S running iOS6. I'm in great service area & my signal is always strong for LTE & 3G

Same here. I like iOS 6 and although it isn't perfect, it is a solid upgrade, in my opinion.

Just Me, D

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The signal on my AT&T iPhone 5 is just as good if not slightly better than my old 4S. I haven't noticed any signal loss issue at all since I got it on launch day.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
So I tried resetting the network settings and so far I seem to be holding a signal. Even better, when I go to edge it now goes back to 4G on its own.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

I own the 5, on IOS 6, with Verizon and I too notice 3G dropping to 1x a fair amount in weaker areas. When I am in a legit LTE area the signal stays strong without ever compromising. But in weaker areas I notice my phone will drop to 1x whereas other phones I have had in the past (Nexus and S3) maintained 3G.

mediaserve

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth, I decided to try the Lumia 900 instead of the iPhone 5 on a new line of service, (have an iPhone 4s on another line), and I have a similar problem where in a reasonable LTE signal area at home I lose LTE and drop to 4G until the radio is cycled via airplane mode, and then it picks up LTE right away again.

In fact I was about to give up on the Lumia and replace it with an iPhone 5 until I read this thread. Seems like maybe it's a carrier thing rather than a phone thing?

Although, I've never noticed this issue with my LTE iPad--seems to always have an LTE signal in the same place where the Lumia 900 drops it.

stuffy

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have found a fix for me
go into settings
privacy
location services
system services
& turn on mobile network settings

not had a problem since changed this setting

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have found a fix for me
go into settings
privacy
location services
system services
& turn on mobile network settings

not had a problem since changed this setting

I don't seem to have that last step you took..."mobile network settings"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350124096.967447.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350124096.967447.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox