Signal Issues

macdude08

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Okay...I've had my 3GS now since the day it came out. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time, but for the last 6 or 8 months I've been having serious signal strength issues. When I'm at home or at work, the signal is very week...I either get one or two bars in either location. A co-worker has the same phone and we both have our phones jailbroken, with a case, and we're both on at&t. He get's perfect signal on his 3GS where I get 1 to 2 bars on my 3GS in the same office sitting at the same desk. Why would one 3GS have week signal when the other has full signal? Both of us also have 3G turned off to save battery life. If I'm away from home or work...like if I'm in the car or a restaurant or store, the signal is perfect.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Occasionally my signal does the same. Usually if I turn it off and turn it back on, the signal "resets" and gets back to full strength.

macdude08

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Occasionally my signal does the same. Usually if I turn it off and turn it back on, the signal "resets" and gets back to full strength.

I've tried that before, but it doesn't work for me. It's really interesting...when I hold the phone in my left hand on the bottom half, the signal decreases. When I hold the phone in my left hand on the top half, the signal increases. I have no idea what that means. When I hold my phone in my right hand on the top or bottom half, the signal stays pretty much the same. Should I try taking it to apple or at&t? I don't know is this is hardware or software related.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm not really sure, I do know the antennas are in the bottom portion of the phone, so that could have something to do with where you hold it. If you do decide to take it in, restore it first. If they see that it's jailbroken, you're warranty will automatically be voided.