Sign another 2 years or drop the Benjamins

EU4IC

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Did they move the upgrade dates up only for 2 year contracts, or are 1 year plans under the "anytime in 2010" deal?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Will you sign a new two year contract with at&t just to get the amazing iPhone 4 at a generously discounted price? Would you spend $600 or $700 for an off contract iPhone 4?
Let the answers roll.
If you add the early termination fee to $299, You get $674- That is what you are really paying AT&T with a two year contract extension. AT&T is not doing us any favors.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't get this worry over contracts. I've no plans to terminate or worry about ETFs. I wouldn't have chosen AT&T if they weren't good enough in my area.

As it is, i'm getting discounted iphones each year and profit after selling the old one.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
If you add the early termination fee to $299, You get $674- That is what you are really paying AT&T with a two year contract extension. AT&T is not doing us any favors.

Uhm, only if you intend on paying the early termination fee, which most don't. So, really they are doing you a favour, but if they just let anyone cancel their contract for small amounts, they'd be effectively selling brand new iPhones for like $400 off contract. That's why the ETF needs to be high. In Canada our contracts are even longer and ETFs run around as high as $500. Not kidding.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I don't get this worry over contracts. I've no plans to terminate or worry about ETFs. I wouldn't have chosen AT&T if they weren't good enough in my area.

As it is, i'm getting discounted iphones each year and profit after selling the old one.
First, one wants the freedom to jump to Verizon if it should become an option. Second this year the ETF is truly punitive. Third, last year some of us did not get a break; I paid $499- and my contract still got reset. That was even worse than this year's ETF.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Uhm, only if you intend on paying the early termination fee, which most don't. So, really they are doing you a favour, but if they just let anyone cancel their contract for small amounts, they'd be effectively selling brand new iPhones for like $400 off contract. That's why the ETF needs to be high. In Canada our contracts are even longer and ETFs run around as high as $500. Not kidding.
First, the ETF is the way of valuing the subsidy that we pay back over the life of the contract. AT&T does not really subsidize. Second, Rogers customers pay in C$.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
either way

I'm not fully decided yet. In the past I've always paid full price for my iPhone because I have no data plan on my phone. I like being off contract but here's the point whether you're on contract or not you're gonna have a cellphone or you wouldn't be on this forum. If you have a cellphone you'll be paying the bill for the same 2 or 3 years so what's the difference? So why not get a phone out of it anyway?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
First, the ETF is the way of valuing the subsidy that we pay back over the life of the contract. AT&T does not really subsidize. Second, Rogers customers pay in C$.

.... Wow, americans know so little about Canada. No offense. :p

The Canadian dollar is exactly on par with the USD and is often worth more.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
.... Wow, americans know so little about Canada. No offense. :p

The Canadian dollar is exactly on par with the USD and is often worth more.
All true but I bet I have been there more than you have been here and I am old enough to have bought some C$ for US$0.75.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
All true but I bet I have been there more than you have been here and I am old enough to have bought some C$ for US$0.75.

Yes maybe 4 or 5 years ago.
Just a few weeks ago I was paid in American $ and it became less because of the exchange rate. No doubt it pissed me off but the Canadian dollar was worth more for that week. What I'm saying is it's nowhere near a difference that would turn $300 into $500...

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox