(Sigh) back again - after a brief flirt with android

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Sold my 6s+ and thought I was finally over iPhone, and its "tethered-to-iTunes-ness" (lol). I picked up a Galaxy S7 edge, after the fiasco of returning my Note 7 (I know, I know). Fast forward a few months and I picked up an iPhone 7, and thought I would hate it because of its smaller screen, "dongle life" and the return to the aforementioned "tethered-to-iTunes-ness". To make a long story short, the S7 edge is sitting in its box as my backup.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much :). Just like those heavily invested into iOS / Apple's ecosystem find it hard to swap over. It definitely does.

I will say I do miss iMessage of course. That is probably the one feature of Apple's system that I loved 110%.

I didn't realize how much I missed and appreciated iMessage until I went back. Nova customization is always fun, but I spent more time doing that than actually using the phone.

willboyce

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I did. I got myself the new blackberry key one.
Just so everyone knows'. This device really does have the best hardware out there. Very very pleasing to hold, to use. A really beautiful device.
I know some people will laugh because I got this instead of Samsungs new 8. But I hateeeeeeee that crap after having numerous devices.
However I fell in love with the key one and indeed everyone said wow what's that. Looks brilliant an all that etc etc.
But android OS is just not as good as iOS.
I had to come back to apple for my MacBook Pro.
For my iMessage.
Android will do what (it wants to do). And it's the same on all android devices. I can't comment on Nokia android. I guess I will try if a flagship comes out. But I will wait it out to see what everyone else thinks first.
Back to to my iPhone 7plus. And it feels like I just walked into a 5 star hotel with my evening meal waiting on me. Instead of going to McDonald's
That's how different it is
Rant over.
Bye

veritas_vincit

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Both, Android and iOS are great ecosystems. I'm one of the few that have been back and forth in between Android and iOS, but after a while I tend to stick with iOS, because of the fact that it works out of the box and the peace of mind it gives me that I can backup and restore everything when updating or upgrading from one iPhone model to another. Also, I have iOS hardware and iOS's best security features and use Google's ecosystem and apps from within iOS.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I am having reception issues with my iPhone 7 plus. But that still doesn't sway me back to Android.
I like the simplicity of Apple, not to mention a library of movies and music off iTunes.

bluegreen1965

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I came to Apple (for just the camera, I told myself) 2 yrs ago when I purchased a used 5S from Gazelle. Previously I used a BlackBerry Z30 (and really did like it!), but once I saw how far the iPhone had come I quickly became enamored with it. A year later I traded it for a 6S and loved it even more. Advance a year...with all the hype over the Galaxy S8 I decided that I needed to try the Android lifestyle to see if I really really REALLY liked Apple. To save $$ I purchased a used Galaxy S7 (again from Gazelle; love them!) just to see. I found the phone itself to be gorgeous, but the OS convoluted and much more complicated than it needed to be. After less than a week I oh-so-excitedly reactivated my 6S and sent the other phone back. I will be on this one until the iPhone 8 this fall when I trade up again. I'm sure I will fall in love all over again.

r3id

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I went to the S8+ and was pretty happy with it. But have returned to my iPhone 7+.

The speaker started to play up on the S8+ which isn't great, as the fix was to tap the back of the phone. After calling support, then the retailer, then support, then the retailer again. I decided not to get a replacement and just go for the refund. I have never had such crap customer support with any of my Apple products.

I know Android is not to blame, and the new version seems much better than old Android. But I will be sticking with my Apple devices as the support is so much greater than any other company I've dealt with previously.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I went to the S8+ and was pretty happy with it. But have returned to my iPhone 7+.

The speaker started to play up on the S8+ which isn't great, as the fix was to tap the back of the phone. After calling support, then the retailer, then support, then the retailer again. I decided not to get a replacement and just go for the refund. I have never had such crap customer support with any of my Apple products.

I know Android is not to blame, and the new version seems much better than old Android. But I will be sticking with my Apple devices as the support is so much greater than any other company I've dealt with previously.

The ability to walk into an Apple Store and get support was one of the factors for me coming over to iPhone. I never had major customer service support problems, the only one I ever contacted for replacement was Motorola for my 360 at the time and it was ok. Sorry to hear you had a horrible experience and it's unfortunate to think if that had went well you could have likely stayed with Samsung.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Being able to walk into a store is nice (though the one time my wife needed help with her 6S, I was told I couldn't walk in, I needed to make an appointment), but the closest store to me is over an hour away, not exactly convenient. I have had pretty good luck with online chat, or phone support.

Google's Pixel online support was pretty good the one time I had an issue there, pretty much on par with Apple's online chat.

RobinPaul

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Well I'm back on iPhone as well. I used a Samsung Galaxy S7 for 5 months but realized I did not use half of what the phone can do plus never costumized my homescreen. Also battery always went down so fast even in standby mode. Before the S7 i had a iPhone 6S and battery was good on that one. So since yesterday I am back on iPhone 7 32 GB model (got 1Tb of Onedrive Storage haha)

I'm glad to be back on iOS which is more stable and more premium lag free apps.

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Nova customization is always fun, but I spent more time doing that than actually using the phone.

Lol I did the same too. Spent hours and hours tinkering with a launcher only to be unhappy with my creation and going right back to the stock launcher. I think the longest I went using a customized launcher was probably one week. Or there would be a hardware or software feature I bought my phone for that wouldn't work very well with launchers. I actually like the Asus and Blackberry launcher more than Nova.

With my iPhone I find I'm actually using the features and apps more instead constantly customizing my phone.

Also, I have iOS hardware and iOS's best security features and use Google's ecosystem and apps from within iOS.

That was probably the deciding factor bringing me over to iOS and Apple. Best of both worlds. I'm even finding Gmail works better on my iPhone.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Well I'm back on iPhone as well. I used a Samsung Galaxy S7 for 5 months but realized I did not use half of what the phone can do plus never costumized my homescreen. Also battery always went down so fast even in standby mode. Before the S7 i had a iPhone 6S and battery was good on that one. So since yesterday I am back on iPhone 7 32 GB model (got 1Tb of Onedrive Storage haha)

I'm glad to be back on iOS which is more stable and more premium lag free apps.

I have the 1TB Onedrive as well. I used to think 128GB on a device was the minimum I could use, but with embracing the cloud I could get by with 32GB. The biggest thing is remembering to offload the pictures after they are synced to OneDrive. Just wish browsing OneDrive pictures was better, like it is on the native Windows 10 Mobile Photos app. They all appear there whether on the device or the cloud, and you can easily jump to a certain date.

I don't like the way Apple handles pictures, deleting them from your device deletes them from the cloud as well (or am I wrong about that). It just doesn't seem like a good method of handling things, but I guess it does get you to buy more expensive devices with more storage (and pay for more icloud storage).

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I have the 1TB Onedrive as well. I used to think 128GB on a device was the minimum I could use, but with embracing the cloud I could get by with 32GB. The biggest thing is remembering to offload the pictures after they are synced to OneDrive. Just wish browsing OneDrive pictures was better, like it is on the native Windows 10 Mobile Photos app. They all appear there whether on the device or the cloud, and you can easily jump to a certain date.

I don't like the way Apple handles pictures, deleting them from your device deletes them from the cloud as well (or am I wrong about that). It just doesn't seem like a good method of handling things, but I guess it does get you to buy more expensive devices with more storage (and pay for more icloud storage).

I also use Google photos that way when i delete off my phone and cloud i still have the pictures somewhere.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I also use Google photos that way when i delete off my phone and cloud i still have the pictures somewhere.

This for me as well. I used onedrive but don't really need it anymore (just for couple of documents but that's it), google photos is great for backup.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I use OneDrive for lots of stuff, having photo backup is a bonus there, and my music, which I can access through Groove. My pictures and music alone are over 100GB, making the 1TB Onedrive package very cost effective.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I was an original iPhone user up through the 3gs. Then I moved to Blackberry for a while. Started playing around with Android and eventually went to it full-time. Got tired of it and tried Windows mobile which I actually love but began having software issues. Decided to try iPhone again, looked at the SE and fell in love so here I am.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

r3id

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The ability to walk into an Apple Store and get support was one of the factors for me coming over to iPhone. I never had major customer service support problems, the only one I ever contacted for replacement was Motorola for my 360 at the time and it was ok. Sorry to hear you had a horrible experience and it's unfortunate to think if that had went well you could have likely stayed with Samsung.

Yeah, that is a massive plus with Apple products, Genius bars are a great idea. As for your last point, I very much doubt I would ever move away from Apple products entirely. While the Android experience, even with Samsungs additions was great and there is no denying the S8 is a gorgeous device, I will always prefer the Apple ecosystem, and I have invested hugely into it.

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Phlamethrower, you are def not alone. My wife has been chuckling at me today because I came back to my iPhone 7 plus and I'm loving it, but she knows when the Note 8, the next Pixel or the LG V30 comes out, my head will turn.

jamezr

Trusted Member
May 5, 2017
Visit site
I have the 7+ and S8+ and Pixel XL and love all 3! I switch between then all the time. Just swap out the sim and go!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travishoang