Should I upgrade to El Capitan?

Strings78

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a MacBook Pro (mid-2012) model, with the standard 4GB of memory and an Intel Core i5 Processor that is running Yosemite. I have been reading all of the negative reviews and have put off upgrading to El Capitan, due to the fact that I need my laptop to be running at full strength for school and work.

I guess what I'm asking is are you happy that you upgraded to 10.11? If I upgraded would there be any problems? I am usually one of the first to upgrade when a new OS comes out, but for some reason this upgrade really makes me nervous.

randally

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Clone your system to an external USB drive (using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper) and then boot to it and upgrade it as a trial version. Then you can see if it works well for you or not.
I have a 2013 iMac that runs El Cap beautifully, but a 2008 MacBook Pro that can't handle anything past Snow Leopard (even though Apple says it is ok).

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I also say you should clone your system and do a trial version. One of my clients updated a couple of their older MacBook pros and are having major issues.

I am running El Capitan on both my iMac 27's (Mid 2013) and haven't had any issues except MS Office 2011 crashing every now and then, but that seems to be improving with each OS update.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a MacBook Pro (mid-2012) model, with the standard 4GB of memory and an Intel Core i5 Processor that is running Yosemite. I have been reading all of the negative reviews and have put off upgrading to El Capitan, due to the fact that I need my laptop to be running at full strength for school and work.

I guess what I'm asking is are you happy that you upgraded to 10.11? If I upgraded would there be any problems? I am usually one of the first to upgrade when a new OS comes out, but for some reason this upgrade really makes me nervous.

I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM and it runs El Capitan just fine. If you're running Yosemite without a problem I wouldn't be too concerned that updating is going to kill your system.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM and it runs El Capitan just fine. If you're running Yosemite without a problem I wouldn't be too concerned that updating is going to kill your system.

My 2011 Mac Mini runs it fine as well, BUT I swapped the spinning HD for an SSD which helps a lot.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I have a 2010 MBP, 8GB and SSD upgrade that runs El Capitan without any issues. I actually like it better than Yosemite and I'm a fan of Yosemite. I'm sure my upgrades help though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4