Should I upgrade to an iPad Mini RT, or Air (Coming from original Mini)

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I bought the iPad Mini last year from an Apple Store in San Francisco, it was working like a charm on iOS 6 till Apple went full retarded with iOS 8 for iPads killing my iPad Mini. In the mean time the iPad Mini could crash anything, even if just a PC website on one tab in Safari, it is just killing me.

I decided to get the iPad Mini in the first place when I was attending a good university, one with an online system that had all the lectures stored there so that I can take my iPad Mini anywhere, and study from anywhere. Unfortunately I later moved to another university that feels like a cave man college just because I wanted to switch from Engineering to Medicine...

In the mean time, in my new university we got no access to any of the college resources, or lecture files so I tend to record lectures using Evernote and take notes also using Evernote, Penultimate, or search for few sites on Safari while recording it. Unfortunately such multi-tasking isn't possible since iOS 8 got released because as soon as Safari starts Evernote crashes and I lose whatever I was recording.

That never happens on my iPhone 5S and I think it's because of the A7 processor, also the 1 GB RAM which is now finally available on both the iPad Mini Retina and iPad Air. Unfortunately I can't use my iPhone for recording lectures as I need it's battery life for few more important things as phone calls when I need them, and checking emails.

If any of you own an iPad Mini Retina, or iPad Air does it crash when few apps open together? And which do you think I should go for? I feel like the iPad Mini as it's small, can be carried easily, but the iPad Air has a bigger screen, more rich colors. Also I would like to ask those with an iPad Mini Retina, how is the battery life? Because the original Mini had a horrible battery life.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Get an iPad Air , and an accompanying Bluetooth Keyboard so you can do serious work on it, if that's what you are thinking of going about your university life with your iPad.

If you are using it for reading on the go, research and that sort of thing, the iPad Mini Retina would be better.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the air and love it. Second are you using the beta version of iOS 8? If so then you have to expect crashes it's a beta os.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the air and love it. Second are you using the beta version of iOS 8? If so then you have to expect crashes it's a beta os.

No, tried iOS 8 Beta only on my iPhone. Not sure if it would make the iPad Mini (original) any better though. Only the iPad Mini is having such issues tbh, my mom's iPad 2 is fine, my friend iPad 3, and 4 is perfect.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Okay you said iOS so I thought you were using the beta. My son has the mini and doesn't have any problems. Have you tried a wipe and restore?

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Okay you said iOS so I thought you were using the beta. My son has the mini and doesn't have any problems. Have you tried a wipe and restore?

I did, I also have two iPad Minis, one is Verizon CDMA which is mine, and AT&T GSM for my dad and both are crazy when it comes to crashing Safari and few other apps.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm in kind of a similar position because I'd like to upgrade my iPad 4 in the fall when new hardware hits. I like the larger size because I occasionally read digital comics and the larger size is cool for games, but I may go the mini just due to comforatbility using in bed. But again, not sure yet. It mostly be used at home.

My main complaint with my iPad 4 is the weight . The Air would solve that issue.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I love the Mini with Retina. It is more portable and lighter than the Air, and it has the same specs and processing power. Buy yourself a keyboard case, or a bluetooth keyboard and you can get some real work done :) I recommend the Mini with Retina, but you can't go wrong with either one :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2