Should I upgrade the 6s+ or get the 7+/7 in September?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. Right now I have the 6s 128 GB Space Gray AT&T Next 12 with down payment. I will be eligible to upgrade on either September 4th or October 4th. I've owned the 6s since October 3rd 2015.

I am debating wether or not to upgrade to the 6s Plus 128 GB Space Gray AT&T Next 12 in September 4th or if I should preorder the iPhone 7 Plus or iPhone 7 later in the month of September. The main thing I'm worried about is that I may not preorder in time. Also both models will come without a headphone jack, so there will be no way to connect my Bose QC20 noise cancelling earbuds.

For those of you who have a 6s already, what will you be doing in the fall when it comes to your phone upgrade?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I say wait for the 7 and have the latest technology. Where did you get your info that the headphone jack will be gone? No ones knows for sure except Apple. And if the 7 does not come with the headphone jack it will help you with your decision.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I say wait for the 7 and have the latest technology. Where did you get your info that the headphone jack will be gone? No ones knows for sure except Apple. And if the 7 does not come with the headphone jack it will help you with your decision.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will go ahead and wait until September or October to make my decision. Another factor I have to consider is if the AT&T store will have the 128 GB 6s+ Space Gray in stock in early September, as many carriers are trying to get rid of their inventory to make room for the new devices at that time.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestion. I will go ahead and wait until September or October to make my decision. Another factor I have to consider is if the AT&T store will have the 128 GB 6s+ Space Gray in stock in early September, as many carriers are trying to get rid of their inventory to make room for the new devices at that time.

You're welcome! I am waiting on the 7 myself. I am lucky and live in a small town, but have the big three providers of cellular here in town. When I got my 6 on release day I walked into my provider and no one was there at all. Had my choice of any one of the iPhones released. Advantages of small town living I guess. ��

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
You're welcome! I am waiting on the 7 myself. I am lucky and live in a small town, but have the big three providers of cellular here in town. When I got my 6 on release day I walked into my provider and no one was there at all. Had my choice of any one of the iPhones released. Advantages of small town living I guess. ��

I'm in Washington, DC, which is a big iOS user city. Whenever a new  phone comes out on launch day the lines to the stores are crazy and the stores get back orders very quickly!

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm in Washington, DC, which is a big iOS user city. Whenever a new  phone comes out on launch day the lines to the stores are crazy and the stores get back orders very quickly!

I guess, that's a big population area there. We are only 30,000 people in my town. I am surprised Apple even sends new releases here. I know how luck I am.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Reports that the headphone jack will be abandoned for the iPhone 7 have been mixed. It could go either way. Regardless, I would be absolutely shocked if Apple didn't supply an inexpensive (or free) adaptor to make 3.5mm headphones work through the Lightning port.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Reports that the headphone jack will be abandoned for the iPhone 7 have been mixed. It could go either way. Regardless, I would be absolutely shocked if Apple didn't supply an inexpensive (or free) adaptor to make 3.5mm headphones work through the Lightning port.

The latest render leaks show no headphone jack on both models but no dual speakers. I think  will supply an adapter as a $20-$30 accessory which could sell out quickly at launch.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The latest render leaks show no headphone jack on both models but no dual speakers. I think  will supply an adapter as a $20-$30 accessory which could sell out quickly at launch.

It's really hard to say at this point. Render leaks are just that: render leaks.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Yep. I'm really, really hoping for dual speakers. It's really the only thing that would make giving up the headphone jack worthwhile.

I agree. It doesn't make sense at all for the 3.5mm headphone jack to go if there won't be another speaker put in its place. Either they won't remove the headphone jack at all or they'll add an extra speaker or they will use some new feature in that spot.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Wait for the 7. Get a nice Bluetooth headset. I recommend the LG Tone series.

I'll just use the headphones that come in the box and my QC20s will be used separately and with my MBPr 13" early 2015 128 GB. I still hope  will sell a 3.5mm to Lightning adapter. Maybe it'll come in the box or it will be sold separately for $20.

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The only real reason I can imagine to remove the 3.5mm socket would be to remove a very difficult to seal opening if they make a water resistant iPhone. That might make the assessment rather different!

The best advice I can offer is to wait for the official Apple announcement and specification before you make a decision. Your upgrade entitlement can be left on hold without losing your entitlement

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
The only real reason I can imagine to remove the 3.5mm socket would be to remove a very difficult to seal opening if they make a water resistant iPhone. That might make the assessment rather different!

The best advice I can offer is to wait for the official Apple announcement and specification before you make a decision. Your upgrade entitlement can be left on hold without losing your entitlement

I think a lot of buyers may be disappointed initially without the 3.5mm headphone jack, but just like when Lightning replaced 30 pin back with the iPhone 5 in 2012, people got used to it.

You're right about the upgrade date. The keynote should be in early September so after that I'll read the information on  's website and other reviews before I decide what to do.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I barely use my iPhone 6S+, but I'm not upgrading to another iPhone because Apple's services and apps really make you feel like your content is theirs. I still haven't figured out how to export a full resolution 1080p 120FPS video from Photos without the app auto-transcoding it to 720p and without it exporting with the auto-slo-mo in the file. Only workaround is to download from iCloud.com (on my iMac...).

So I've resorted to using a different smartphone for this (only other option is to spend even more money to buy a bulkier dedicated camera, and I already have to carry (and try not to lose) enough things these days).

Also, I had too many issues with Apple Music and iTunes (not iTunes, but iTunes due to Apple Music) and as someone who likes using 1st party services (because I like to limit the number of log-ins/internet accounts I have to manage) it's just become too much work to try to deal with the issues.

The phone is good. The Services and Software aren't. And with the latter being so integral a part of the package... I just cannot.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I barely use my iPhone 6S+, but I'm not upgrading to another iPhone because Apple's services and apps really make you feel like your content is theirs. I still haven't figured out how to export a full resolution 1080p 120FPS video from Photos without the app auto-transcoding it to 720p and without it exporting with the auto-slo-mo in the file. Only workaround is to download from iCloud.com (on my iMac...).

So I've resorted to using a different smartphone for this (only other option is to spend even more money to buy a bulkier dedicated camera, and I already have to carry (and try not to lose) enough things these days).

Also, I had too many issues with Apple Music and iTunes (not iTunes, but iTunes due to Apple Music) and as someone who likes using 1st party services (because I like to limit the number of log-ins/internet accounts I have to manage) it's just become too much work to try to deal with the issues.

The phone is good. The Services and Software aren't. And with the latter being so integral a part of the package... I just cannot.

I'm thinking more about upgrading to the 6s+ 128 GB Space Gray. The 7, as it looks like right now, is not much of an upgrade. The 7s+ or 8 will be a mega upgrade next year.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR