Should I Upgrade from series 4?

jefface128

Sep 16, 2022
Visit site
So I have a series 4 44mm space gray watch that still has 100% battery health.

I can get the Series 8 45mm watch with cellular for 330$ or without cellular for 275$ from work.

Do you think it’s worth it?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The fact that your series 4 still has 100% battery health is impressive! I wonder how long you've had your Watch? However, even with that amazing battery life, I think that the feature upgrades do make it worthwhile. I upgraded from my series 3 to a series 7 in April, and the new features amazed me. Good luck with your decision, and welcome to iMore!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I’ve actually had it since 2018/2019 but lost it for awhile and just found it yesterday haha

Well, if you've been without it that long, and haven't missed it, maybe hanging on the it for awhile longer makes sense, since you have such amazing battery life. But the features that have evolved with each new version are something to think about.

jefface128

Sep 16, 2022
Visit site
Well, if you've been without it that long, and haven't missed it, maybe hanging on the it for awhile longer makes sense, since you have such amazing battery life. But the features that have evolved with each new version are something to think about.

Understood. Also can’t choose between green or midnight haha

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I can get the Series 8 45mm watch with cellular for 330$ or without cellular for 275$ from work.

At those prices, I’d say go for it, whether you need the upgrade or not…. ;)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Understood. Also can’t choose between green or midnight haha

Both colors are awesome. It might be beneficial for you to actually see them before deciding. Hopefully you have an Apple Store near by, or other retailers that sell Apple Devices.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Which and what color do you prefer?

I prefer the cellular model because I find it quite nice to be able to make and receive calls, text messages, email messages as well as notifications and the ability to use Pay during the times I forget my iPhone or during times when I simply don’t want to carry my iPhone.

As for the color, I prefer black because I can wear it with anything and it looks good, regardless of the band in my opinion.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Short answer: YES!!! That sounds like a really good price.

Longer answer: Whether it is "worth it" is personal and subjective. The watch has made significant improvements in four series of upgrades, but if that money is a big spend for you, then maybe those upgrades aren't worth it.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the green Series 7. It’s hard to tell the difference between it and the black midnight.

One has to angle it just right in the right lighting to see the slight green tint. So the color doesn’t matter.

If an Apple Watch is something you want, or will use, I say go for it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm guess I'm going to be on the other side and say that unless you need always on display, with 100% battery health, I'd keep the S4 for another year and see what next year's watches bring. The design of the S8 is the same as last year's S7, and Apple does tend to re-think design every couple of years. Also, the S8 processor is only 20% faster than the S4's, and I'm thinking that next year may be the year that Apple brings the extra button from the Ultra to the regular watch, perhaps a flatter design (which will be more protective of the crystal), and I really think that Apple may move away from a 7 nanometer process for the watch processor to a smaller one, which should give the same performance,ance with much better battery efficiency.

If the battery health was in the 80s, I'd say definitely upgrade.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you should stay with the series 4 op.
Personally I wouldn’t be able to but you seem fine.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
This is going to be a very individual choice based on what you use your watch for, how well you see it :), what you do with the new added features, if the latest tech is something you value, but most importantly is your individual financial situation.

If having expanded health data history is important to you, if having the bigger better brighter screen is desired (in the case of my aging eyes it is needed), if newer tech/models is something you’re enthusiastic/passionate for, and several hundred dollars of discretionary money is comfortably spent? I’d jump on buying the new S8 at the substantial discount you’re receiving. But that’s me. I’m enthusiastic/passionate about new tech especially Apple tech and my discretionary funds are decent (I budget my discretionary for new Apple tech). If I could buy the S8 at your prices I’d have bought it in a heartbeat.

But if you use your watch for very specific things only such as tracking workouts or movements, message-phone-Home notifications, the S4 screen size and clarity as is is good for you, if you use an app or two and it works well, ultimately what you use it for gets it done well — and especially if discretionary money is tight??? I’d keep the S4.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Do you have cellular

Yes, I have cellular. If you want to be in touch without having to carry a phone, it's really nice. For example, I'm out running/walking every morning for about an hour. I want to be able to send and receive calls and messages, but don't want to carry my phone. Similarly, my wife spends time gardening most mornings, and like not having to carry a phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2