Should I Switch to rMB?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I was going to get it and sell my late '13 rMBP 13" until I realized the 'new' ones are using two year old CPU's/GPU's. Pretty disappointing.

CPU/GPU age really isn't all that relevant to performance depending on what you use your computer for...my '12 MBP can run circles around the newest MBP Retina model using an older setup when it comes to real world usages, and under heavy load still shows relevant performance figures.

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Another reason I’m going to wait on the new 15-inch MacBook Pro.

Long wait for that, they have just done a refresh, why even consider the 12" if you want 15" makes no sense. Personally 15" is in no mans land for me, too big to lug around and not big enough for a desktop replacement.
Perfect set up for me is a 21 if they make one or a 27" iMac and this rMBP.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Long wait for that, they have just done a refresh, why even consider the 12" if you want 15" makes no sense. Personally 15" is in no mans land for me, too big to lug around and not big enough for a desktop replacement.
Perfect set up for me is a 21 if they make one or a 27" iMac and this rMBP.

I’m in no rush for another computer because I have many on hand (4 or 5). . . . I like new technology, so I was thinking of getting both; however, for my needs, I just don’t think it’s a good fit: not powerful enough, one port, no glowing Apple logo, etc.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
CPU/GPU age really isn't all that relevant to performance depending on what you use your computer for...my '12 MBP can run circles around the newest MBP Retina model using an older setup when it comes to real world usages, and under heavy load still shows relevant performance figures.

This is allegedly an 'update', which it isn't when you use two y/o parts. But to each his own. I will wait until they do an actual update that uses new parts.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is allegedly an 'update', which it isn't when you use two y/o parts. But to each his own. I will wait until they do an actual update that uses new parts.

This computer wasn't an update...this computer was a re-envisioning of the standard Macbook that ceased production in 2010. It's an entirely different model than any other computer in the line up. This computer also uses a slew of parts never found in any Mac in Apple's entire line previously...and a design never seen on any computer Apple has ever made.

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site

At least you can have this machine as a laptop without burning your legs, or the fans blow drying your hair haha, i know i have and have had a 13" and 15" MBPr.
This machine truly is a laptop the rest are table/desktops.
As far as 2 year old parts who cares its a 12" not a high powered 15", and my 1.2/512 was $1400 less than the 15" 512 model here. I am not paying $3,500 AUD for a laptop that pretty much does the same thing, i can go to Bali for a month for that.