Should I purchase the iPhone 7 plus through the iPhone Upgrade Program?

jrfuentes

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I do not know if I should sign up for the iPhone Upgrade Program. I want iPhone 7 plus because I have an iPhone 6 plus, and it's time for an upgrade. However, I read online that iPhone 8 (or whatever it will be called) will be completely redesigned, and I will probably want that too.

So, I looked at the monthly payment for iPhone 7 plus 128 GB version under the upgrade program, and it's $41.58 a month and over 12 months that's $498.96. The cost of the phone is $869.00. If I read the iPhone Upgrade program correctly at 12 months, I can upgrade to the next phone for free and start a new 24-month payment cycle. If I join the program, I will probably upgrade after 12 months every time.

My question is what am I missing? I feel like this makes too much sense to join the upgrade program because I will be paying a little more than half of the cost of the phone every 12 months, trading it in and then getting the best new iPhone. I feel like there is a catch, and I just don't see it. Is anyone signed up for the program and completed an upgrade through it? Also, I am currently grandfathered in on At&t unlimited data plan and I don't think that will be affected, but I don't want to lose it. Any help would be appreciated. I just don't want to make the wrong choice before the pre-order begins.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Personally I am holding off as I buy my devices outright since last 18 months or so.

My 6s+ still a good soldier.

Sent from mTalk on Win 10 Phone

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm on a prepaid cell plan with AT&T. It looks like I can't use the Apple Upgrade Program on a prepaid. Can anyone confirm that for me for sure please?

If I can, I want to get the 7+ on the Apple Upgrade Program but only if I can do it whilst staying on my prepaid account.

qnet

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I usually buy my phones outright, but this time I will try the upgrade program also. It's a perfect situation for me, since it's unlocked and includes apple care. I also like not having to deal with At&t during this process.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm doing the Apple Upgrade Program as long as I can do it online. The closest Apple Store is 120+ miles away, and I won't be driving there to do it. I think you can do it online - but I need to find out first.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
If I read correctly the difference between apples upgrade program and installment pricing from a carrier is that you paying a small additional fee for Apple care. If I looked at the program correctly I just check it out but I use insurance through square trade for my phones.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey Andrew -- long time no talk.

I'm fairly certain you can join the program online when you pre-order, you will need to provide a credit card and SSN because it is financed.

That is my plan.

wetermommy

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I usually buy my phones outright, but this time I will try the upgrade program also. It's a perfect situation for me, since it's unlocked and includes apple care. I also like not having to deal with At&t during this process.

I was thinking the same thing thing time around

koolhand79

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey Andrew -- long time no talk.

I'm fairly certain you can join the program online when you pre-order, you will need to provide a credit card and SSN because it is financed.

That is my plan.
You definitely can sign up for the program online. If you go through the AUP FAQ it gives online as an option. I'll be doing it as well

alex.shimp

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Looking at the info online part of the upgrade program (https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU2802126%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=NTSSbTai) involved trading in your current mobile device. I want to say when I tried it last year it had to be done in store. Also make sure you bring two forms of ID and an actual credit card (no debit or prepaid cards) they will charge you the tax on the phone, and the first two months of service.

qnet

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm learning all kinds of information from you alex.skimp LOL! I may just pay for it outright or do installments now. I don't have an Iphone to trade in, and I don't want to trade in any of my other phones when I can sell them for more. I knew it was too good to be true.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Looking at the info online part of the upgrade program (https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU2802149%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=cTuRMZWu) involved trading in your current mobile device. I want to say when I tried it last year it had to be done in store. Also make sure you bring two forms of ID and an actual credit card (no debit or prepaid cards) they will charge you the tax on the phone, and the first two months of service.

Wouldn't that be after you are already enrolled in the program? I wouldn't think they'd ask for your current device if you are just signing up.

I have been wrong before though, just ask my wife. :)

alex.shimp

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
When you pre-order you can select the iPhone upgrade program but you cannot have it shipped if I remember correctly it required a in store pick up reservation, at which point they did all of the enrollment, paperwork. Its been long year so I may be wrong as well :)

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
After chatting with Apple Support they said:

Initial enrollment into the AUP can be done at pre-order and you are not required to turn in your current device.

You will have the option to pickup or have it shipped.

Everything can be done through the Apple Store App

Obviously first come first served basis as will all pre-order events.

So I'll be going for that tonight. I have decided in the 7 Plus 128, while I'd like the Jet Black, I think plain Black will do for me.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Initial enrollment into the AUP can be done at pre-order and you are not required to turn in your current device.

So I'll be going for that tonight. I have decided in the 7 Plus 128, while I'd like the Jet Black, I think plain Black will do for me.

Hey man! This is exactly what I'm going for. Do you know what time pre-orders start tonight? I may have to get up in the middle of the night and snag one.

Thanks for the info, too. This is exactly what I was looking for. I bought my last iPhone outright but I don't want to do that again. And I'm not driving two hours to pick up a phone.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on enrolling myself. Good to know you don't have to pickup in store.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I upgrade annually myself. I used to buy them outright. Now I just pay the monthly. It is interest free and you pay the full retail price over the course of 24 months. Normally, I put 50% down on the day I start my contract.

The only disadvantage is that you hand them the old phone and you get a new one. The upside, is that Apple Care is included so, if you have problems, Apple will take care of it for you. IMO, if you upgrade phones often as I do, then the monthly payment plan is great. With technology changing and the constant usage of my phone, I do not see myself keeping the same phone for longer than 12 months.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73