should i move from Blackberry to iPhone

owlyn

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
As a long time BB user (latest was Torch), I made the switch to a 4s. I held out as I was afraid of losing the physical keyboard. Guess what- I type faster on the 4s than I ever could with a BB. The only things I miss are no flashing LED for new messages (you get used to not having it, NBD), and no sound profiles (again, NBD). Besides, RIM is all but dead. They will be out of business in the not-too-distant future. Might as well make the change now- my company has made the change.

Last edited:

iRetired

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I guess I could be considered part of older crowd Ghost:)

My avatar here tells a story - I'm a retired college prof who previous had an 8530 Curve and a 9550 Sttorm2 (and an Omnia II and a Droid X but that's another story).

I don't know how much driving you do, but there's a new app in the AppStore that is a godsend. It's called Bluetooth OnOff and it costs $0.99USD. My phone is not jail-broken and I don't go in for all of those techy theme changes. It's on my homescreen because I use it so much. It is a one-touch replacement for tapping Settings>General>Bluetooth>slide on or off. You can take your eyes off the road for just so long...

The iPhone 4S keyboard is virtually the same as the 9550 except for the lack of clicking. Notifications work fine, as well as push email for all my student and professional accounts. Sadly, no notification LED but you won't miss it after awhile.

Hope that helps!

radamo

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Went from a Storm 2 to an iPhone 4S almost 3 months ago.
Never regretted it at all.
Met all my expectations and then some.
I can't think of anything that wioild prevent you from conducting business on an iPhone 4S.

On a side note- there is no bedside mode. But then again, RIM hosed my bedside mode with the last OS update to the 9550.

I say go for it.

Good Luck

TurboTiger,
The bedside mode is the only feature I miss. Was able to also address it with apps in the android world. Have you found a good workaround for this?
Thanks for any help or suggestions you have.
RA

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
TurboTiger,
The bedside mode is the only feature I miss. Was able to also address it with apps in the android world. Have you found a good workaround for this?
Thanks for any help or suggestions you have.
RA

RA,
No solution for this. No apps.

On a related matter, I am using the app "Alarm Clock". It's free.
It also allows you to dim the screen so I use it as a night clock/alarm.
I have to turn down the volume so that emails and SMS aren't too annoying during the night. Have to leave the phone on for emergencies. This is where the Bedside mode would help. I used to have mine set for SMS and calls to come through and not emails during the night.
Good Luck

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I switched from a long string of BB devices, the most recent being the 9650 and for the most part am happy with the decision. I've had both the iP4 and iP4S and they are great devices.

What I miss most is the calendar functionality, LED notification, and physical keyboard. The calendar is by far superior on the BB device as I could enter 10 appointments to one on the iP4S. I'm still coming to grips with typing on glass but I'll eventually get as fast as my BB...I hope.

As mentioned in prior posts, RIM is dead unless they pull off a miracle. The iPhone is a great device and IMO is superior to the numerous Android devices I've tried.

Good luck.

Camfella

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I used to read all the time that blackberry was the better phone for business, more productive etc. I'm beginning to wonder if that is just a myth being perpetuated by Blackberry lovers. What apps does Blackberry have that are comparable to these below?

https://www.apple.com/iphone/business/iphone-at-work/#mn_p

P.S. I posted this post on Crackberry, not only did they not post it but they banned me too. I guess I was on to something

CUB1

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Your question was "should i move from Blackberry to iPhone?"

My answer to you is YES!!!

I was a bb user since the 8330 came out, always upgraded to the newest devices as soon as they where available...my last bb was the 9850.

I hav the 4s now and I wished I would hav switched a long time ago!!

kunalz555

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
@ camfella it is obvious that they don't have anything other than selling plastic material handset at premium price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skele

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, if you are a travelling guy then, stick to BB. Atleast for me, in Dubai Middle East, I'm stuck with an Iphone, with no data package while travelling out side UAE. Atleast in BB the roaming charges are fixed. :(

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
As the previous poster mentioned, if you travel at all then best stick with a BB. They are easily unlocked and can be used with a local sim card in most places in the world. Sadly the same is not true for the iPhone, especially the 4S. Roaming charges are a killer so something to keep in mind.

Also I see a lot of the posters are comparing older BBs to the 4S and this is not a very fair comparison. The BB 99XX series is a heck of a device and the new BB QNX devices out "soon" should take things to a whole new level!

I have both a 4S and a 9900 and keep switching back and forth; I can't make up mind either because they are both great!

R...

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Good grief, did you even read my message or just have to jump right in there to try and justify your iPhone? What, if anything, constructive did you add to the OPs questions? I'm glad you think the iPhone is the end all, be all but sadly a rant like yours will do little to convince the rest of the world that not all of us subscribe to the Gates theory of being told by the Apple conglomerate what we need; there are actually intelligent people out there that make their OWN choices everyday!

Whats so nice about the 9900? The camera blows(No AF),browser is slow,app selection very limited,Screen size is small and when you scroll on a website it looks like a checker board. Iphone has the Best camera,great browser is great,Email is better,call quality better, Screen no comparison, BBM very similar to Imessage. I've also had both for a few months and am selling my 9900.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
As the previous poster mentioned, if you travel at all then best stick with a BB. They are easily unlocked and can be used with a local sim card in most places in the world. Sadly the same is not true for the iPhone, especially the 4S. Roaming charges are a killer so something to keep in mind.

Also I see a lot of the posters are comparing older BBs to the 4S and this is not a very fair comparison. The BB 99XX series is a heck of a device and the new BB QNX devices out "soon" should take things to a whole new level!

I have both a 4S and a 9900 and keep switching back and forth; I can't make up mind either because they are both great!

R...

Same here. The 9900 is a beautiful phone, as is the iPhone, and I keep going back and forth.

The reason camfella got banned is likely that CB is sick of the troll threads posted for the sole purpose of starting trouble. Whether the thread was meant that way or not, I can see why he got banned especially if he joined for the sole purpose of posting it.

As for slammers post, I don't see a speed difference in the browser - however for slammer it clearly the wrong phone. That by no means makes it the wrong phone for everyone, something slammer seems to have forgotten.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
Tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Same here. The 9900 is a beautiful phone, as is the iPhone, and I keep going back and forth.

The reason camfella got banned is likely that CB is sick of the troll threads posted for the sole purpose of starting trouble. Whether the thread was meant that way or not, I can see why he got banned especially if he joined for the sole purpose of posting it.

As for slammers post, I don't see a speed difference in the browser - however for slammer it clearly the wrong phone. That by no means makes it the wrong phone for everyone, something slammer seems to have forgotten.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
Tapatalk

Havent forgotten anything. The 9900 wins for messaging because of the keyboard. But I do feel Rim rushed the 9900 because of all the bricking issues and no AF on the camera. We all know neither phone is perfect.:cool:

Last edited:

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Good grief, did you even read my message or just have to jump right in there to try and justify your iPhone? What, if anything, constructive did you add to the OPs questions? I'm glad you think the iPhone is the end all, be all but sadly a rant like yours will do little to convince the rest of the world that not all of us subscribe to the Gates theory of being told by the Apple conglomerate what we need; there are actually intelligent people out there that make their OWN choices everyday!

Sorry If I came off the a little stuck on the Iphone. Both are great devices but they are also opposite. I like the 9900 for messaging but wish they had AF on the camera and better app selection. Nothing beats a querty keyboard:cool:

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, if you are a travelling guy then, stick to BB. Atleast for me, in Dubai Middle East, I'm stuck with an Iphone, with no data package while travelling out side UAE. Atleast in BB the roaming charges are fixed. :(

Not to mention that data is compressed through RIM's servers hence less data usage.

If your considering an iPhone, why not check out some Android phones? ( Don't flame me, I love my 4s and it is my DAILY DRIVER) Just curious as to why not open your options up? They have a fantastic line up of phones. You can't go wrong with either Apple or Android !

12youngjedi

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
for me, i think you should. there are a lot of iphone apps that can help you with your files, maps, etc. iphone is a good choice has a lot of pros. plus it's easy to use :)

JMountainDew

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
First time post here at iMore. I recently moved from a BB 9650 which I enjoyed for two years, into an iphone 4s. (I have previously had a few of the older windows and palm phones.) There are a couple things I miss about the Bold, particularly the ability to turn it off at night and have the alarm clock awaken both me and my phone in the morning. Even though the iPhone doesn't do that, I have been entirely delighted by so many of its other features. In my experience, both the email and texting work much better. Not to mention the browser and a number of identical apps which I also had on the BB. If you're looking to switch, I'd encourage you to go for it. I am pleased with my move.

JMountainDew

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and let me add... the Bold 9650 was a very stable and reliable phone, which I also appreciated about it. But still, given the choice, I'm glad to now have the iphone.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have Owned 3 blackberrys I am not biased one way or the other. However the saying that iPhone can't keep up with email etc is a lie. I email a ton and didn't have much trouble switching over. The iPhone is more of a software based phone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro