Should I jailbreak or not???

RobertAdams313

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
IMO, Jailbreaking is like installing a new ROM on your phone, it allows you to customize but if you don't, it works exactly like it was before, just with a Cydia app showing on your phone.

I wouldn't say like installing a new rom. I would say it's the equivalent of rooting an android. All jail breaking does is allow for access and edits to the system. The tweaks make the changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I can't live without F.Lux or Bypass now. They make my life so easy. As for the device getting messed up by tweaks, you can go into safe mode and delete the tweak. Unless it's something serious, you can fix it without the computer.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I too have been on the fence (so to speak) about "jailbreaking", and it's a very high fence (smile). As I enjoy seeing some of the jailbroken screenshots and the things that can be done with a jailbroken iPhone, I don't want to fall off of the fence and have other "things" NOT work or have to find "tweeks" to get them working again.....I don't know, still on the fence, but I sure would luv to get rid of that semi transparent so called dock on the present iOS7

I used a tweak called DockShift to make it fully transparent. If you are looking to get the classic iOS 6 dock, there is a tweak called classic dock. Just some info. :)

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a lot of reasons to jailbreak. In principal everyone should. After all you wouldn't buy a computer with the OS locked down to the point you couldn't do anything with it. Essentially an iDevice is just that. A computer you are locked out of.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a lot of reasons to jailbreak. In principal everyone should. After all you wouldn't buy a computer with the OS locked down to the point you couldn't do anything with it. Essentially an iDevice is just that. A computer you are locked out of.

In principle everyone should? Utter nonsense.

The whole reason Apple locks up the iOS environment is to prevent the typical user from having problems with his device caused by rogue software. It's very much the reason iOS is so bulletproof today.

We support tens of thousands of users on iOS and Android devices. By far our largest population of messed up devices is jail broken iOS devices. More than 4 times Android and 20 times stock iOS.

For most of our apps, we do not support operation on jail broken devices, so if you call and you are jail broken, we ask you to delete the software and have a nice day.

Jail break if you want to mess around with your "computer" in your iPhone or iPad, and if you are technically capable of supporting yourself when things go wrong, but if you just want to use your devices in a stable, safe and supported environment, do not do it,

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

That's why a person should do their due diligence and be sure what they're buying before they buy it. So they don't go saying they're locked out of a device that no one put a gun to their head to buy.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
In principle everyone should? Utter nonsense.

The whole reason Apple locks up the iOS environment is to prevent the typical user from having problems with his device caused by rogue software. It's very much the reason iOS is so bulletproof today.

We support tens of thousands of users on iOS and Android devices. By far our largest population of messed up devices is jail broken iOS devices. More than 4 times Android and 20 times stock iOS.

For most of our apps, we do not support operation on jail broken devices, so if you call and you are jail broken, we ask you to delete the software and have a nice day.

Jail break if you want to mess around with your "computer" in your iPhone or iPad, and if you are technically capable of supporting yourself when things go wrong, but if you just want to use your devices in a stable, safe and supported environment, do not do it,

Your customer support methods are "you have other software installed besides ours? Go to hell. Delete ours and never call again." ???

What company are you with so I can know to avoid such a shoddy product?

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Your customer support methods are "you have other software installed besides ours? Go to hell. Delete ours and never call again." ???

What company are you with so I can know to avoid such a shoddy product?

I suspect you would never purchase our software anyway, however most of our customers are enterprise customers, and they are quite happy with our support model. Jail broken phones are an anathema for the enterprise, opening up corporate data for security breaches and making phones unstable.

Most of these accounts already prohibit jail broken devices connecting to the enterprise, and we support them in that effort.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I suspect you would never purchase our software anyway, however most of our customers are enterprise customers, and they are quite happy with our support model. Jail broken phones are an anathema for the enterprise, opening up corporate data for security breaches and making phones unstable.

Most of these accounts already prohibit jail broken devices connecting to the enterprise, and we support them in that effort.

Opening up? Yikes. You're going to pretend the security flaws weren't naturally a part of iOS? You're going to further pretend Apple never lets apps onto the store that include functionality they aren't aware exists?

Just as easily as you can argue a jailbroken phone is more likely to be insecure, anyone rational can point out a jailbroken phone can be more secure. It's ultimately in the hands of the individual user, not the jailbreaking.

It's a bit silly for you to suggest your customers are "quite happy with [your] support model." If this were true, you'd never have had the opportunity to tell them to delete your software.

One corporation wanting to restrict its employees doesn't show it's a bad action. It shows corporations still act like corporations.

It's good though, I'd avoid sharing my business if I were you as well. After the display you've made, it's probably in the company's best interest you keep the name to yourself.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
That's why a person should do their due diligence and be sure what they're buying before they buy it. So they don't go saying they're locked out of a device that no one put a gun to their head to buy.

Totally agree and that's why I never upgrade phones until a new jailbreak comes out. ;)

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
i think u know very well about JB its also void warranty , if u want more tweak , Custom ROM , more customization like theme lookout in OS , ur rules to run ur device then go for it :....

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i think u know very well about JB its also void warranty , if u want more tweak , Custom ROM , more customization like theme lookout in OS , ur rules to run ur device then go for it :....

Only if you take it in jail broken and why would you do that? I took my JB iPhone to the Verizon store and the only question I got from them was where did I get my Zeppelin from. Apple Genius bar, yeah I'd probably get a stern look, but I doubt they'd have security haul me out of the store and burn me at the stake in the parking lot.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm assuming you don't support android phones that have custom roms or are rooted then also?

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

Look captain buzzkill a.k.a TimHewitt makes a (emphasize "a" as in a ONE) very good point? if you aren't technically capable of supporting your jailbreak then you shouldn't)

How many times a week do we get a "my .? is broken, WHAT DO I DO" and we need to walk them through the simple steps of disabling tweaks or uninstalling tweaks or using safe mode.
Or telling people they DONT need to restore the first time their phone goes into safe mode.
For example, my latest pet peeve is "help I jailbroke my device and now my status bar?" I mean you can throw a banana at a google search and a flying monkey will hand deliver the proper fix for your status bar.
Imagine if you developed an app and have to support THAT SPECIFIC APP ONLY, and your app works on 1milion devices perfectly then one dude says blah blah blah won't work, yeah I'm jail broken? but I want your app to work on my UNIQUELY configured jail broken device.
It would be near impossible to determine which tweak or set of tweaks caused the issues.
Also security wise, if you aren't technically capable and you install ifile because someone told you too, then you leave you jail broken device on a table somewhere and a nefarious person explores your entire file system. Or even worse you installed openssh and someone browses your device while it's sitting in your pocket.?
Anyways? I disagree with captain buzzkill 99% of the time, however you shouldn't jaikbreak your device unless your willing to bite the bullet and fix your device yourself

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The number you cited actually hurts his argument 3cit. Yes, we get lots of those questions. But, compared to the millions that are jailbroken, that sample doesn't really say much of anything. A relatively small number of complaints is more likely to suggest a smooth experience than a rocky one.

Extend that to the developer and things don't really change. As an example, biteSMS will affect text messaging. But, it's not going to wreak havoc with a game. A tweak that is causing issues with the devs specific app, rather than the whole system, is easier to locate beyond the "delete what you installed last" option.

The non-technical rarely know about OpenSSH. It's not a popular download among the general public because it doesn't look flashy. For every non-capable user that installs OpenSSH, a technically inclined user adds a tweak to monitor incoming/outgoing traffic to ensure even less data from their device is sent to Apple authorized devs.

He has a point. It's not very good. It's barely rational. It's similar to saying "if you're not technically capable, you shouldn't get an Android because it can be a mess to navigate through the fragmented ecosystem." While the reasoning may have some merit, it doesn't lead to the conclusion.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well currently for me, if I receive a text, my quick reply opens up and I reply And everything is fine. But if I left the status bar indicator on for bite, I would get the message, I would reply, the about 5 seconds later my application would crash. Nothing but the a app.
If I had one of Tim's apps and if I was an ***** and his app crashed after I got a message, then I might call him and complain. He shouldn't have to help me.
And sometimes a person knows just enough to screw something up really bad. Which is how people who shouldn't end up with ssh end up with ssh.
I mean I deleted my hosts files without making a backup. I had to ask for help. Some kid posted in here the other day because he deleted his maps app.
I think apples philosophy is "it just works" which is why everything is so vanilla.
And some people should stay that way.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you both. What I said was in principle, not in practice everyone should jailbreak and I stand by that. Yes there are people out there that have no idea what they are doing when they jailbreak, as illustrated by some of the questions that are posted. If you jailbreak you have to be prepared to troubleshot at least simple issues that may come up. However, this is a "safe place" someone can come for help and advice.

At the same time there are people, and lots of them, that would be much safer and better off if they were locked out of installing software or even accessing the internet on their computers. Look at how many people get into trouble with viruses, bots, trojans, key loggers, root kits and such. I see it all the time and the easiest way to fix it is to simply re-image and lock them out with group policies and the like. Should a software developer like "captain buzzkill" be exempt from supporting software on a windows platform?

As far as opening your phone up... I think the latest iOS update shows how secure the stock iOS environment actually is.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Not just iOS but osx as well. Insanely large vulnerability. So bad that Apple can release a fix almost within 2 days of it becoming "public knowledge"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen