Should I buy or wait?


Well-known member
May 13, 2015
Visit site
So I have a 4K TV but never used the 4K, as I don't have anything to run it. Currently using a 2015 Chromecast but would like an Apple TV, because I play a lot of iOS games like Final Fantasy, Oceanhorn and Transistor.

I know that feeling of waiting for the next product is kind of lame since with technology, there's always something around the corner.

Currently getting out of updating hardware every time a new product comes out and choosing to hold on to my stuff longer, to save money. For example, my 6s is perfect and until it breaks, starting acting up or no longer is supported for a software update, I'm going to try and hold on to it.

Same thing with this TV. I plan on buying one and really milking it. Should I hold out for a feature like 4K? My TV is 55" does it matter when it gets to be that size? The thing for me is the lack of rumors for this thing is unsettling. Besides 4K rumor, there isn't much else and in this day and age means they don't have one yet.

I'd be disappointed to wait for the fall not see one unveiled, then start to wait for spring 2018. But also buying one now only to find it gets replaced this fall would kind of make me feel like I rushed things.


Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
4K content is still not widely available. On a 55" you will most likely see the difference between a 1080p and 4K picture, that is a given. Even on a 40" the difference is noticeable.
But, don't wait for the 4K supported TV. I'm fairly certain that your TV you buy this next few weeks will be due for an upgrade by the time the 4K content starts to be mainstream. And frankly, an TV is not expensive. You may be able to sell it on the second hand market and put the money forward to a new TV when the time is right.
Just my 2¢.


Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If 4K is a must, then no. But if you've watched other HD material and it's ok to you then go for it. It's a fun little machine, and like @Tartarus said, you can always sell it.


Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
4k isn't that big of a deal for me right now as it's not widely available for content. It's catching on and by the time it is largely available you can add a 4k Apple TV when it's out and use the old one in a bedroom.


Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Its always a tough decision to make when technology is moving between different resolutions. For me 1080p is perfectly clear enough and I'm not itching to get 4K.

So, I would say, if you are able to wait for the next Apple TV. Regardless if it has 4K support or not, I would say wait. But if you decide to purchase the current one, I think it will still work really nicely and as you said, you don't have much 4K content anyway. 1080p content should still be around for a long time. :)

Hopes this helps a little. Let us know what you decide to do.
Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Latest member