Should I be nervous about activating my new iPhone 13 Pro?

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
i’m planning on receiving my 13 Pro any day now. how would I go by activating it? i’m scared I’ll mess it up, should I be. lol. I won’t be using it for work so I guess I don’t need to worry about a physical Sim card?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: activate your 13 Pro

If you purchased it from Apple and you selected your carrier during the ordering process then more than likely the phone will be good to go upon turning it on and going through the iPhone setup.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I was nervous when my 12 Pro arrived. but it was really quite seamless. I used the Quick Start process, which you can read about here.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
i’m planning on receiving my 13 Pro any day now. how would I go by activating it? i’m scared I’ll mess it up, should I be. lol. I won’t be using it for work so I guess I don’t need to worry about a physical Sim card?

Verizon had specific instructions if you were switching from a phone with a physical SIM to a phone with an eSIM, like the 13 Pro. Basically the instructions were:

1. Turn off Find My on your old iPhone
2. Power off your old iPhone
3. Power on the new iPhone 13 Pro. From the Quick Start screen, choose "Set Up Manually"
4. Enter credentials for your iFi network, or to use Verizon's network tap "Use cellular connection"

This should start the activation process. When it is complete, then you choose to accept the data and privacy policies.

5. Set up FaceID if you wish (you can do so later)
6. Set up a passcode

Finally, you can then choose to set up as new, restore from iTunes, restore from iCloud, or set up with Quick Start. If you want to use Quick Start, you can then power on your old phone and follow all of the steps.

I read of people who did not follow that procedure and ended up having to call Verizon to activate manually.Mine activated perfectly.

If your carrier is not Verizon, perhaps they have a set of similar instructions. This is Verizon's page by the way: https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...support/knowledge-base-239385/&token=OMNir6Ev

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: activate your 13 Pro

If you purchased it from Apple and you selected your carrier during the ordering process then more than likely the phone will be good to go upon turning it on and going through the iPhone setup.

I ordered through Apple and selected AT&T as my carrier

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I ordered through Apple and selected AT&T as my carrier

Then the device should come pre-activated to AT&T. When you turn it on and follow the steps above as detailed by doogald, your device will connect to AT&T’s network. And provide you with the ability to make and receive calls and text, etcetera like you currently do.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
What’s the difference between Quickstart and setting up manually

Since it’s been available I always use Quick Start which is slower than manual but I like that everything is mirrored from my old device to new. Right down to my last text and my build up predictions. After completion I just go about using my new device with little to no tweaks only the new device features if any

But I recommend you still do a full iCloud back up and make sure the old and new device is running the same iOS version as well as the backup

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Since it’s been available I always use Quick Start which is slower than manual but I like that everything is mirrored from my old device to new. Right down to my last text and my build up predictions. After completion I just go about using my new device with little to no tweaks only the new device features if any

But I recommend you still do a full iCloud back up and make sure the old and new device is running the same iOS version as well as the backup

Yes!!! A full iCloud back-up is very important!!!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
What’s the difference between Quickstart and setting up manually

Quickstart simply copies everything from your last iPhone to your new one (you can also go iPad to iPhone, iPod touch to iPhone, etc.) More importantly, most of your apps should continue to be logged in, including email accounts, calendar and contacts sync., etc.

Setting up manually means that you have to install everything from scratch (except the things that get synced from iCloud or other sources, but that will never include app installs.)

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

how do you check to see about the backup. I know how to do a full iCloud back up, but to check to see which version the back up is on how do you do that?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Agreed. I used QuickStart when I got my iPhone 13 Pro. It was the easiest way to setup. Take your new 13 out of the box, power it on and set it next to your previous iPhone and follow the prompts.

My 13 Pro is a exact mirror of my 12. When I was finished, I was given the option to reset my 12. I did that and powered it off. Done.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen