Should I be concerned that my new iPhone XS Max is having intermittent charging issues?

Carraser23

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I noticed for the first time last night that my phone was having an issue recognizing the charger. I plugged it in with different cords, outlets, restarted the phone and nothing. I moved it upwards then it finally started charging. Today I charged in the car, worked perfectly. Should I be worried and did this happen to anyone else?

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Intermittent charging issues?

I noticed for the first time last night that my phone was having an issue recognizing the charger. I plugged it in with different cords, outlets, restarted the phone and nothing. I moved it upwards then it finally started charging. Today I charged in the car, worked perfectly. Should I be worried and did this happen to anyone else?

I would probably just exchange it. That should not be happening.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

What charger? The cord and block that your device came with or a 3rd-party charger (wired or wireless)?

Carraser23

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

What charger? The cord and block that your device came with or a 3rd-party charger (wired or wireless)?

Yea same one the phone came with. Also tried an extra one I had and an iPad charger. But it only happened once so I’m wondering if it’s a software thing

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site

Yea same one the phone came with. Also tried an extra one I had and an iPad charger. But it only happened once so I’m wondering if it’s a software thing

I wouldn’t necessarily roll the dice. While it only happened once you mentioned trying different chargers, including the one that came with the device, and even restarting didn’t fix it. If it were a software issue one would think the reboot would have most likely resolved it for you. Key takeaway I took from this was you saying it finally started charging again when you tilted the charger upwards. That tells me there could be a hardware related issue here - best to return and exchange it to be on the safe side.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Mine has been inconsistent with an Ikea 3 port with Amazon Basics 6 ft cable but then charged with the included Apple cable whether the phone's charger or a current 5k iMac. That combo that's been inconsistent with the phone still charges my bike lights, AirPods and Bose speaker. I'll try another 3rd party Lightening cable before thinking the phone has a problem.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Looking into this more and comparing other Lightening port devices in the house......

No matter what my XS Max will not charge with one 2 meter non-braided type Amazon Basics cable that charges 7 Plus and iPad. My wife’s braided style Amazon Basics cable the same length charges the new phone.

Most attempts to charge the phone at the lock screen get nothing when other devices start to charge. If the phone is unlocked an Apple brand cable charges it.

Then comes first world problems. I want a reliable longer Lightening cable but then comes the price Apple charges for their own cables along with them not lasting as long the better third party cables have.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

This is a widespread issue. My iPhone XS Max will not charge up if I put the cable into the device when it is asleep. I have to wake the screen in order to get a charge going.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, the 12.01 update fixed about anything that didn’t seem right with my new phone.

For charging now I get the expected response when plugging in the Lightening connector and every cable in the house works correctly.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Just curious if this individual did a follow up video since Apple has corrected this minor problem that was blown way out of proportion. If this was an Android issue we still wouldn't know about it and it probably wouldn't get fixed until they released a new device (that's right I sad it). Apple corrects issues faster that any other smartphone brand.

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Just curious if this individual did a follow up video since Apple has corrected this minor problem that was blown way out of proportion. If this was an Android issue we still wouldn't know about it and it probably wouldn't get fixed until the released a new device (that right I sad it). Apple corrects issues faster that any other smartphone brand.

I never bothered to watch (listen). The silent preview showed more emotion than I wanted. My guess was a software fix would do it, and I was certain Apple would not let a problem with a flagship product and profit center happen and not fix it.

Even premium products can have problems but most truly top tier companies take care of them.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Just curious if this individual did a follow up video since Apple has corrected this minor problem that was blown way out of proportion. If this was an Android issue we still wouldn't know about it and it probably wouldn't get fixed until the released a new device (that right I sad it). Apple corrects issues faster that any other smartphone brand.

...Isn’t his last name Massengill?

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Just curious if this individual did a follow up video since Apple has corrected this minor problem that was blown way out of proportion. If this was an Android issue we still wouldn't know about it and it probably wouldn't get fixed until they released a new device (that's right I sad it). Apple corrects issues faster that any other smartphone brand.

I mean, a simple search on his channel reveals that he did, in fact, respond to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_gyYjKMN50

BTW, not being able to charge up a phone isn't a problem that's blown way out of proportion, especially on devices that cost $1,100+.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
not being able to charge up a phone isn't a problem that's blown way out of proportion

Humm, first of all this is a wrong statement. The iPhone Xs/Xs Max (only some) had to be awaken in order to charge, not that it wouldn't charge. However I'm not going back and forth with you. Have a nice day.

Last edited: