Shopping app like HandyShopper (Palm)

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
I recently converted from the PalmOS world, and have yet to see a shopping app for the iPhone that can come close to the features of HandyShopper. Mainly what I need is

* multiple stores which carry each item
* a different aisle and price for each item and each store
* ability to sort the list by aisle, price, etc

Anyone know of anything that will do this? I've looked at everything in the app store and in the web apps and none of them list these features (although I haven't downloaded them all). It doesn't have to be a native iPhone app, a web app or even a regular web site would be fine.

Last edited:

PeggyJane

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Possible replacement for HandyShopper

This is written a good year after the original post, but I think I've found a viable alternative to HandyShopper. Try GroceryGadget. Per-store prices and stores, automatic sorting by store order (also alpha, category or manual sort), a field for notes, a place for coupons/sales prices, customizable categories and online interface for data input and sharing.

It also has the capacity for completely separate lists, which might be usable like HS's separate databases. I used those for Christmas lists, 'take with on a road trip' lists, task lists etc. I have not yet tested for the usability of this function, but it looks like it could work.

There is also a lite version with a limit of 20 items and 1 store IIRC. That's sufficient for testing with no investment. The way it works is different, and it took me a while to feel comfortable with it, but I'm pleased. I was a HS user for many years, and thought I'd have to leave it behind, but this is close.

Absolutely no affiliation, just an old HS fan who's been searching for a year for a viable replacement.

Reactions: bethknits

ChuckN

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Possible replacement for HandyShopper

I wrote my app, ezShopList, based on the features of HandyShopper that I used when I used a Palm. It allows multiple stores with per store pricing and location(by section). The sections of each store can be ordered to match the path you take through the store. In addition the lists and database can be exported/imported to/from Dropbox or mobileMe as csv files for easy editing and sharing. Hope you try it and like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bethknits

AsYouWishAustin

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I also miss HandyShopper terribly! I used that app for everything under the SUN! (And I refuse to support SplashShopper in any way what-so-ever.) I don't need anything near as fancy as HandyShopper was (aisle order, prices at multiple stores, etc.) but I do need prices so I can estimate a running total. Since all I want is an estimate, I don't care if something if $0.50 cheaper at another store. For me, it's not worth the gas/time to go to more than one store. I only price compare when I happen to be at another store, which is rare.

I'm using Grocery Gadget, but don't have a place to put in prices....? Maybe there is a free/pay version and I didn't buy that feature?

I have ezShopListLite and plan to try it, next.

I don't care that this is an old thread. I'm just glad it's here! :)

DsunShing

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Possible replacement for HandyShopper

Which filetype do I need to be able to convert from HandyShopper xyc.prc to ezShopList?

I wrote my app, ezShopList, based on the features of HandyShopper that I used when I used a Palm. It allows multiple stores with per store pricing and location(by section). The sections of each store can be ordered to match the path you take through the store. In addition the lists and database can be exported/imported to/from Dropbox or mobileMe as csv files for easy editing and sharing. Hope you try it and like it.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Well looks like you got some great answers there and from a forum staffer at that also. Hope these do the trick for you and good luck.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Which filetype do I need to be able to convert from HandyShopper xyc.prc to ezShopList?

FYI: The guy you quoted posted his comments in October 2, 2010. Furthermore, there has been no other posts from that username since that time.