She bought an Apple Watch to count steps — it found a heart tumor instead.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
What a story!
More and more diseases will be identified in earlier stages due to Apple Watch (finding diseases in early stages is often a critical component to survival). But it’ll be an ongoing process that will take many years. Analyzing many billions of data points to figure high probability predictions will not be easy. But on that point the future looks promising. The one personal note I’d add is the earlier the data starts the better chance this tech can see changes and prompt you with an alert.
I have neighbors that are iPhone and Apple fans in general. They are not poor, not by a long shot. They’ll spend on the frivolous sometimes. Yet They see the Apple Watch as too much money for little benefit. My reply to them is: this is one of the very best investments in health you can make. The patterns and especially recognition of pattern changes is an incredible tool for taking charge of your health (and it also happens to look good and does a number of other things too :) ).

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
What a story!
More and more diseases will be identified in earlier stages due to Apple Watch (finding diseases in early stages is often a critical component to survival). But it’ll be an ongoing process that will take many years. Analyzing many billions of data points to figure high probability predictions will not be easy. But on that point the future looks promising. The one personal note I’d add is the earlier the data starts the better chance this tech can see changes and prompt you with an alert.
I have neighbors that are iPhone and Apple fans in general. They are not poor, not by a long shot. They’ll spend on the frivolous sometimes. Yet They see the Apple Watch as too much money for little benefit. My reply to them is: this is one of the very best investments in health you can make. The patterns and especially recognition of pattern changes is an incredible tool for taking charge of your health (and it also happens to look good and does a number of other things too :) ).

Until such time as the medical profession accepts the data from Apple watches as accurate enough to meet their needs for diagnostic purposes, I suggest that the Apple watch is rather a poor investment. And tacky looking into the bargain !

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Until such time as the medical profession accepts the data from Apple watches as accurate enough to meet their needs for diagnostic purposes, I suggest that the Apple watch is rather a poor investment. And tacky looking into the bargain !

I’m going to have to disagree. I’ve had the watch since it’s inception and it has proven to be worth having in “my” life. My black stainless steel Series 5 looks good as well as the black metal watchband… :) ….At least to “me” it does.

554d1f3f0138391a783a36f572fd8216.jpg

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I recently went with my husband to an appointment with his cardiologist who was wearing an Apple Watch. As the appointment was winding down I asked him what he thinks about it and it’s ability to take am ekg. He was enthusiastic and very positive about it.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Understood, That’s going to be each person’s opinion. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Obviously I think Apple Watch has a modern style with an already iconic look (especially if you add a custom band). Apple Watch is something easily identified on someone’s wrist.
I don’t entirely disagree that some doctors will be reticent or even stubborn about the data. But at the family doctors office I got to, all three doctors wear Apple Watch (again it is easily identified who is wearing it).
With that said you’re making the common mistake of stating something not perfect must be bad. But worse you’re overlooking the biggedt unquestionable benefit, longer term data. Even if your sleep tracking is off regularly by 30 minutes, your stability, O2, BPM, others are off, it is the change in trend that is a huge benefit. When you take a health metric and compile 12 months of the trend, hard to see how one would consider that a bad investment/unworthy. But that’s fir each person to decide.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro