Sharing iTunes Match

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, I have completely forgotten how to do this I seem to be out of practice lately. I have an Apple Music family subscription. I also personally have a iTunes match subscription. Basically all of the ripped music and all of that is on my computer with my iTunes match subscription. My wife has her own Apple ID. She is obviously able to use Apple Music because I share with her as part of family sharing so that's not an issue.

What my question is is am I able to also share my iTunes match subscription with her? In other words, can I sign in somehow under my name on her iPhone in order to do that? She has iTunes installed on her computer and logs in under her ID. Would she have to literally be logged in under my Apple ID on her iPhone or on her computer in order to see the iTunes match music? I guess if she did that then she would not be able to have her own playlists? Any advice on how to accomplish this?

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, I have completely forgotten how to do this I seem to be out of practice lately. I have an Apple Music family subscription. I also personally have a iTunes match subscription. Basically all of the ripped music and all of that is on my computer with my iTunes match subscription. My wife has her own Apple ID. She is obviously able to use Apple Music because I share with her as part of family sharing so that's not an issue.

What my question is is am I able to also share my iTunes match subscription with her? In other words, can I sign in somehow under my name on her iPhone in order to do that? She has iTunes installed on her computer and logs in under her ID. Would she have to literally be logged in under my Apple ID on her iPhone or on her computer in order to see the iTunes match music? I guess if she did that then she would not be able to have her own playlists? Any advice on how to accomplish this?

She would have to be logged in under your AppleID to use your iTunes Match (the problem here is that you both can't stream Apple Music at the same time then), or you can pay the $25 / year for her to have her own iTunes Match and you could upload to her account too.

I assume you want to do this because you have a significant amount of uploaded music that isn't available on Apple Music?

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you are correct there is a lot of music that I have uploaded that's not available on Apple Music. Also, she can't see anything that I have uploaded or have even in my Apple Music so basically when she opens up the music app she sees nothing because she has really done nothing with her iTunes account.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
So I have no choices?

You always have choices. :) There just aren't any that do what you want.

1. Pay iTunes Match for her and upload all of your ripped stuff again on her account too.
2. Have her share your iTunes Account, but only 1 of you can stream Apple Music at a time.

Anything you purchased in iTunes is available for her to download to her device through via Family Sharing - iTunes app -> Purchased -> Family Purchases

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I gotcha, I'm teaching her the ad to my library function tonight and will just maintain it the way it is and then she can just add music from Apple Music to her account. Thanks for all of the help I completely understand now.

mustangboy88

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
All we did in my household was log out my account and logged in with my wife's account into the main PC where all the music is stored on the HDD. It took a bit, but all the music showed up on her phone through iTunes Music Library. It can't tell the difference, it just thinks that's all the music she has on her main device since she is logged in and iTunes is seeing all the music that isn't matched in her iTunes Music Library, if that makes sense.

We have a family plan with Apple Music and I still subscribe to ITunes Match. Just for the extra insurance.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Just as a follow-up, say I don't have iTunes Match, would I still be able to log-in under my wife's account on my phone and see the music on her computer or do you have to have match to do so?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox