Shame on Apple and the IPhone 3G

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Mike,

Funny how Apple fan boys bash windows while the beloved iPhone's OS is worse. I totally agree with your evaluation of the iphone. I previously posted my horrible experience during an emergency when the Iphone just locked up during calls. I now carry a Razr to use as a phone.

The solution: buy the new Blackberry Thunder.
Why are you still here!!!!!!! Go to Crackberry.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
hehe..he called me an apple fan boy..

trust me, it ends with the iphone. I wouldn't touch a mac computer.

But as for a crapberry, wm phone, etc...i'd stay with the palm centro if i didn't already have the iphone.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I am sorry, I have to vent. This is the 4th time I have to re-install the IPhone Operating System software. I am sick of it. I speak from ONLY my experiences and MY views on the IPhone 3G. These are my TOP pet peeves, and TOP complaints that make me say, SHAME ON APPLE.

1) Shame on Apple for releasing a new product (IPhone 3G) that is obviously not ready for prime time. I have been in the IT field for almost 30 years. If I were to release (or approve for release) a product like this to the general pubic in the state that it is in, I would have been fired. Remember, this is a PHONE FIRST! Stability is a MUST!! God forbid I am in desperate need to make a call and I get the Apple logo!! OMG!!! STABILITY! STABILITY! STABILITY!

2) Shame on Apple for not having an Operating system that is protected from errant 3rd party software. Shoot, even Windows Op system has a protected mode for their operating system so that it cannot be corrupted easily (operating word here is EASILY). This is the 4th time I had to re-install the operating software from ITunes. This is because of bugs in the operating system software as well as 3rd party software that make the phone functionality impaired or even worse, useless.

3) Shame on Apple for a version of ITunes that at best is buggy. Everything from corrupted backups to issues with syncing to issue with the App store. I will get to backups in the next bullet. But I have seen issues with syncing Calendar and Contacts, issues with updating 3rd party software. All of these are in blogs galore. I will not enumerate them all here. But you all know what I am talking about. If not, Google, ?ITunes 7.7 sync issues?.

4) Shame on Apple for having Backups that are useless. And I MEAN useless. From HOURS to do backups (hey, remember what I said about this being a PHONE FIRST! I can?t tie up my phone for HOURS on end), to not keeping track of past backups to corrupted backups. Now let me give my 2 cents on all of this. First, the customer should have options to do FULL backups or INCREMENTAL backups. After a FULL backup (which might take some time, not HOURS, but some time), an incremental backup should be quick. Only changes from the past backup should be captured. Of course, if you want to do multiple full backups, that should be your choice. Incremental backups would mean that ITunes would have to keep track of past backups. What a wonderful surprise I found when I had to do my last restore of the IPhone Operating system software, that I only had the LAST backup in my list. This was even though I did a backup every time it was requested from ITunes. And of course, there was another wonderful surprise to find that the LAST backup was corrupted. Apple, SHAME ON YOU!! You mean you cannot do a verify on a backup?? Or have the option for a verify of a backup? Shoot, this is Computer Science 101. It might take longer to do the backup with a verify, but if we were allowed incremental backups, it would be pretty quick.

5) Shame on Apple for not allowing the customer to replace the battery! This is a pet peeve of mine. SHAME!! SHAME!! SHAME!! This is the only phone that I know of that does not allow you to replace the battery without doing heart surgery. I mean.. Sheesh, with 3G, GPS, Bluetooth, IPOD, and cell phone usage, how could you NOT allow a replaceable battery. Why should I have to cripple my phone by turning off features so I can conserve battery life. It defeats the purpose of having the functionality there in the first place.

6) Shame on Apple for having no stereo Bluetooth. Mmm, let me try and wrap my little brain around this. You have an IPod within the IPhone, and you don?t allow stereo Bluetooth? What brainiac thought to leave this out?

7) A BIG Shame on Apple for not allowing existing power adapters and other IPod and IPhone 2G products from working on IPhone 3G. I know, to hell with the consumer, make them PAY PAY PAY. Buy more equipment. I mean, it couldn?t be that hard to allow my existing IHome alarm clock to recharge my IPhone 3G. Or have my Honda IPod adapter charge my IPhone 3G. Interestingly, the functionality works on both these devices, but they don?t recharge the phone. And with a non-replaceable battery, I am using my ONLY battery to play on these devices. I mean, comeon Apple, have some compassion for the consumer.

8) Shame on Apple for having no cut/paste. I won?t beat a dead horse on this. It has been blogged to dead. But don?t tell me that in a YEAR, you didn?t have enough time to get this in? Ever heard of hiring more programmers????? There are a lot of unemployed ones that would LOVE a job. This can?t be rocket science.

9) Shame on Apple for being to tight fisted with their APIs. Not allowing programmers to exchange ideas (because of Non-disclosure) is a disservice to programmers as well as the eventual customer.

10) Shame on Apple for not allowing software to be memory resident so that they can run in the background. Well, I guess we need a stable PROTECTED Operating system before we allow this feature. So I can see why Apple might be cautious.

Wow, you really got snowed into getting the wrong phone...........
Everytime a phone is released, there is a complaint like this. Just go buy a WM phone and complain about the resets and sluggishness, buy a Palm OS Centro and whine about how old the OS is......or go get Symbian and talk about why there are no apps for it and why it is so slow after you open ten apps..........

If you like the iPhone just wait a bit.

The AppStore alone blows any other handset out of the water. The device was innovation of the year for Time Magazine, the Jesus Phone............ I don't know of any other device that has gotten this recognition.

The funniest part of all this.... is people compare the iPhone to Treos, and blackberrys and HTC devices etc.... The iPhone is ONE device. It is in a league of its own. It has changed mobile technology forever. Frankly the aboce mentioned companies are scrambling to catch up. Why? Cuz they have never made a device this good.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
hehe..he called me an apple fan boy..

trust me, it ends with the iphone. I wouldn't touch a mac computer.

But as for a crapberry, wm phone, etc...i'd stay with the palm centro if i didn't already have the iphone.

Lets trade then.

I have a Centro I can swap you for your worthless iPhone.

What do you say?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Umm..i think you need to read my post again. I upgraded to the iphone from the centro. But what i was saying is that the centro is still superior to the crackberry. I would stay with the centro before considering a crackberry.

however, the iphone is in a league of its own..my post was directed at the silly post saying he favored his crackberry over the iphone (don't ask me why..ignorance i guess..lol)

My fanboyish ways start and end with the iphone though. Mac computers are junk. Stick with vista 64.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I've had one or two resets due to crappy apps via the app store but that's about it. Otherwise, it's worked perfectly out of the box and iTunes/AppStore has been seamless & flawless in functioning for me. Yes, battery life sucks and only Apple is so arrogant as to use a non user-replaceable battery (sad thing is they get away with it). 3G sucks and is worthless IMHO but I blame that more on AT&T than Apple at this point. But I'm keeping mine and waiting for 2.1.

Battery life is on par and better than most 3g WM devices so you really can't complain about it IMO. And trust me you don't want a user replaceable battery... so you can make the phone bigger with a extended door? Or how about a garbage flimsy extended door for all the 3rd party companies out there? And if you've ever bought a Seidio extended battery and door you know what I'm talking about. The quality is just not there. They get creeky and are just flat out flimsy - even the colors don't match half the time. Rant over. Have a charger in the car or at your desk. :D

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Mike,

Funny how Apple fan boys bash windows while the beloved iPhone's OS is worse. I totally agree with your evaluation of the iphone. I previously posted my horrible experience during an emergency when the Iphone just locked up during calls. I now carry a Razr to use as a phone.

The solution: buy the new Blackberry Thunder.

I was eating my salad when i read this and spit some of it up on my desk laughing....

Soooooo has anyone seen the web browser on the Thunder?

HAHAHAHAHA woooooow good times!

yeah let's all move and switch over to THAT!... woohooo!!

/Sarcasim off

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Dieter & Mike for my 15 minutes of fame in your PodCast.

Dieter & Mike,
Thanks for the comments and recognizing my concerns on your PodCast.

I do think you are missing the crux of the issue. And that is stability. 1st and foremost, this is a phone. It is secondarily a computer. When the IPhone reboots or freezes or you have to re-install the Op system, that should be the 1st sign of SERIOUS problems. Cell phones are a necessity. Reliability a must.

My response to other postings:

For those of you who say "Gee, 'I' don't have a problem", doesn't mean there aren't problems. I don't know if you are just using your IPhone as JUST a phone or are you using all the capabilities. I am a hard core user. I make the most of my hardware. So just because YOU dont ahve a problem, doesn't mean all is well. If you look at this Blog as well as other's, you'd know that there are major issues.

For those of you who asked y I bought the IPhone if I don't like it. Well, first of all, that is a lousy response to major problems. NOt a way to sell a product. Not a way to make things better. My issues are EVERYONE'S issues. Having a protected Operating System, or verifying a backup, these should be taken by Apple as constructive criticisms. By saying, "Why did you buy the IPhone" is not a useful statement. As least I am venting and Apple will know what their customers think. I DO LOVE the interface. I DO LOVE 3G and GPS. I don't mention those positives because that is what is expected. I don't compliment stuff that is part of the package. I complain about stuff that should never happen.

You know, until now, I have been using a Motorola A1000 (bought it in Hong Kong 3.5 years ago). It uses Symbian. I have to tell you, there were PLENTY of Apps to buy/use. It did crash on occasion. I NEVER ONCE had to re-install anything. Never lost any data. All i had to do on a crash was to pull the battery out and put it back in. And you know what? It is still reliable to this day. Why I upgraded is because it was time and I wanted GPS and 3G. but it was a hell of a phone and great apps. And TOUCH SCREEN to boot!!

I DO have to say that my IPhone is fine from the hardware perspective (contrary with what people think, that I just bought a lemon). All the problems I have seen are the same thing others are have seen.

I MUST say that version 2.01 of the IPhone Op system is more stable. Although I did have a problem with all my apps crashing again. I had to re-install, but YEAH!!! The last backup DID work fine so I didn't lose information. I think this issue has to do with the IPhone App store. I was trying to do get some apps via the IPhone App store and after that, the apps no longer worked. I hear it is some permissions problem..

So, there has been improvement in 2.01. I am sure there will be more. But please don't tell me to buy another phone. That is not the solution. If it was, then Apple would not have sold millions of phones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2