Setting up iPhone for my 11 yr old son

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello all. I upgraded to the iPhone 6S and promised my son that I would give him my previous iPhone 5C if his grades were all As and Bs. He kept his end of the deal and I intend to keep mine.

I added a line of service for him through my carrier AT&T under my Mobile Share plan 15GB. Now we have three lines on the same account. I would like to limit him to 2GB of Data per month and will increase it if he continues to earn it by keeping his grades up.

I have a few questions. I know I could've googled these questions but felt it was best to just ask in this forum as I've had great success in getting help from other members in the past.

1) How can I get him his own Apple ID? I don't want his phone being linked to my Apple ID. Instead I would like him to have his own. When it comes to purchasing things, he would do so with Apple iTunes cards he would get for Christmas, birthdays, etc.

2) How can I manage his iPhone? I would like to be able to check his activities as well as restrict him from visiting certain sites and buying certain content in the App Store.

3) How can I enable Find My iPhone and prevent him from disabling it or making changes to it? This would be in case he were to loose his iPhone or it were to get stolen.

I'm not an overprotective parent but I am not oblivious to the dangers that are out there and would like to protect my child. Any other things I missed fellow parents can recommend?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
1. Just create him his own Apple ID just as you did for yourself. Find it here.

2. Parental Controls. Settings>General>Restrictions.

3. This one will be an issue, as it will not allow you to have the control you are asking about. You will need to use his Apple ID to set up Find My Phone. If he has the password to that Apple ID, and I am assuming he will, then he will have the ability to shut it on and off as he pleases.

You will be able to control many of the things you ask in Parental Controls as long as you do not give him the pass-code for it. It is not linked to his Apple ID. Hope this info is helpful.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello all. I upgraded to the iPhone 6S and promised my son that I would give him my previous iPhone 5C if his grades were all As and Bs. He kept his end of the deal and I intend to keep mine.

I added a line of service for him through my carrier AT&T under my Mobile Share plan 15GB. Now we have three lines on the same account. I would like to limit him to 2GB of Data per month and will increase it if he continues to earn it by keeping his grades up.

I have a few questions. I know I could've googled these questions but felt it was best to just ask in this forum as I've had great success in getting help from other members in the past.

1) How can I get him his own Apple ID? I don't want his phone being linked to my Apple ID. Instead I would like him to have his own. When it comes to purchasing things, he would do so with Apple iTunes cards he would get for Christmas, birthdays, etc.

2) How can I manage his iPhone? I would like to be able to check his activities as well as restrict him from visiting certain sites and buying certain content in the App Store.

3) How can I enable Find My iPhone and prevent him from disabling it or making changes to it? This would be in case he were to loose his iPhone or it were to get stolen.

I'm not an overprotective parent but I am not oblivious to the dangers that are out there and would like to protect my child. Any other things I missed fellow parents can recommend?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

An option to the info above and what I do for my children I setup Apple ID for each of them but on the phone under iTunes I used my Apple ID just for purchases this way if you buy a song or app or movie he can download it also and not pay again.
The rest of the phone will use his Apple ID.
I prefer this to family sharing that Apple offers

If my kids want to download a app they have to have me enter the Apple ID password .. This way I know why they download.

You can restrict functions with restrictions in settings. They make a kids YouTube app and browsers that block adult content you can down load those and remove safari with restrictions.
Just don't tell him the passcode for restrictions.

You will be able to log in to find my iPhone with his Apple ID and passcode... Another option is use apples find friends app makes it easy but find friends can be turned off but you would always have find my iPhone as a back up.

Again this is just what I do personally and it has worked for me. Good luck

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your replies. I greatly appreciate your feedbacks.

I ended up setting up his iPhone with my Apple ID and and then I set restrictions. I will be going over with him the expectations of his activities on the phone and what is and isn't allowed.

Now, how about setting usage limits on data, and texting. I remember seeing something like this on my AT&T online account some time ago. I checked again and there is an option to pay $4.99 extra a month to limit his data, text and voice usage. Don't remember it costing anything a while back when I noticed it.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your replies. I greatly appreciate your feedbacks.

I ended up setting up his iPhone with my Apple ID and and then I set restrictions. I will be going over with him the expectations of his activities on the phone and what is and isn't allowed.

Now, how about setting usage limits on data, and texting. I remember seeing something like this on my AT&T online account some time ago. I checked again and there is an option to pay $4.99 extra a month to limit his data, text and voice usage. Don't remember it costing anything a while back when I noticed it.

Careful if you use your Apple ID for everything as all text messages could go to both phones .. Pics contacts etc. you will also fill up you iCloud storage .

As far as restricting data I would just monitor it unless it becomes a problem.
The Carrier is the only to just put a flat limit.
I restrict data on my daughters phone under settings and cellular and turn off apps I don't want used when not on wifi.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro