Selling i4 With Jailbreak Question

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone. I've ordered the 4S so I've got my i4 sold. The guy wants me to leave the JB on it. I realize I'll need to go in and delete my email and password keeper app and banking app. Are there any security risks associated with leaving Cydia on my phone ?

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
If it were my phone, I would wipe it then re-jailbreak it. Then you can be 100% sure that all of your personal data has been erased.

Reactions: pilsbury

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Good call guys. I'm going to upgrade the iOS and if he wants to JB it, let him have at it.

If you upgrade it past 4.3.3 there is currently not an untethered JB so he will not be able to do it without some effort and work.

If he paid extra to get one with the version you currently have the buyer may be upset.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have sold iPhones on ebay in the past and I never sell them as jailbroken. The reason is that if I jailbreak it, I have changed the phone in some way. I can easily see a buyer holding me responsible for anything that they don't like about the way the jailbroken iPhone runs or if it is not stable or whatever. Jailbreaking a phone is something the end-user should do. Sell a phone factory-stock- completely wiped clean then anything done to it by the buyer after that is their issue.

You are making the right decision!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone. I've ordered the 4S so I've got my i4 sold. The guy wants me to leave the JB on it. I realize I'll need to go in and delete my email and password keeper app and banking app. Are there any security risks associated with leaving Cydia on my phone ?

Like others have suggested, a restore/rejailbreak is the way to go, but I'd only do it if you can update to 4.3.3 via saved SHSH blobs. If you have to update to 4.3.5 and can only offer a tethered jb I wouldn't bother jailbreaking again; it's too confusing for some people, and unless you know your buyer well it's better to assume he'll run into problems with the tethered reboots.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Do NOT do this. There have been many reports of people doing this on a jb device and ending up unable to boot.
Havent seen to many.
Either way its a better shot than just upgrading regardless.
Unless they has the SHSH blobs.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I have sold iPhones on ebay in the past and I never sell them as jailbroken. The reason is that if I jailbreak it, I have changed the phone in some way. I can easily see a buyer holding me responsible for anything that they don't like about the way the jailbroken iPhone runs or if it is not stable or whatever. Jailbreaking a phone is something the end-user should do. Sell a phone factory-stock- completely wiped clean then anything done to it by the buyer after that is their issue.

You are making the right decision!

If you put in the listing that it's jailbroken and state that there is nothing the buyer can do. Ebay will protect you as long as you state it specifically and clearly how the phone will arrive.

Now, if he has already sold the phone as jailbroken and then restores it and the buyer wanted a jailbroken phone then the seller is on the hook for that.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
No, it's already sold, he's taking possession of it Friday providing FedEx does their part. He actually wants the JB left on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox