Selling hardware as a service is a logical step for Apple

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
This week, a new report has Apple getting ready to begin selling its hardware as a monthly subscription that's similar to the iPhone Upgrade Program — but for more than just iPhones. It makes sense, too, as Apple continues to tie people down without making them spend big sums upfront.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
If Apple makes me sign up for a monthly subscription service to use an iPhone instead of allowing me to buy it outright, I won't think twice about switching to Android. I don't rent phones.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If Apple makes me sign up for a monthly subscription service to use an iPhone instead of allowing me to buy it outright, I won't think twice about switching to Android. I don't rent phones.

Yep and a good deal of people will follow suit.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I would have to go elsewhere, however the problem might be that others will do the same thing just like the Charging block. How greedy are these companies? So I guess if I purchase a pair of sneakers I'm going to have to pay Nike to wear them? Same concept and it's RIDICULOUS!!!

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Have to agree with everyone else. This is just a way to suck in more revenue. I’ll go back to a dumb phone if this happens. At some point we have to step up and tell them to stop.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
??? It must be Friday night after Happy Hour if anyone thinks Apple will not sell hardware. However, to alleviate any further concern or suspense: Apple will be ecstatic to execute a one time transaction to sell you an Apple hardware product. This will be the case tomorrow, next month, next year, 5 years from now, 10 years from now etc etc.
“This is just a way to suck in more money”. Companies offering new or different ways to own, or lease, or rent their products is done for added sales = added revenue. This is just an Apple thing?

Toyota cars are sold and are leased. For some, full ownership is best. For some, leasing is the best. Apple offering lease options will likely be a better option for some, just as the iPhone upgrade program is better for some, just as some companies leasing Macs is best for them. Or to put it another way, TGeekB, SpencerDL, Just_Me_D, Mr Segundus, all love to each of you, have a great weekend, get some good downtime in if possible. Your verbalized worry of leasing only options for iPhone driving you to to Pixels or Nothing PH-1 was/is dead well before arrival.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
??? It must be Friday night after Happy Hour if anyone thinks Apple will not sell hardware. However, to alleviate any further concern or suspense: Apple will be ecstatic to execute a one time transaction to sell you an Apple hardware product. This will be the case tomorrow, next month, next year, 5 years from now, 10 years from now etc etc.
“This is just a way to suck in more money”. Companies offering new or different ways to own, or lease, or rent their products is done for added sales = added revenue. This is just an Apple thing?

Toyota cars are sold and are leased. For some, full ownership is best. For some, leasing is the best. Apple offering lease options will likely be a better option for some, just as the iPhone upgrade program is better for some, just as some companies leasing Macs is best for them. Or to put it another way, TGeekB, SpencerDL, Just_Me_D, Mr Segundus, all love to each of you, have a great weekend, get some good downtime in if possible. Your verbalized worry of leasing only options for iPhone driving you to to Pixels or Nothing PH-1 was/is dead well before arrival.

Believe me when I say I’m not worried or even concerned. My reply was in regard to the specific question posed by Mr Segundus. Basically if Apple opted to provided the iPhone only as HAAS (hardware as a service) then me and others would leave the Apple ecosystem. I doubt they’ll do that, but if they did then so be it.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I guess the only people who could maybe be concerned with this at all would be people who buy their phones outright and only if Apple would no longer allow that. Otherwise, you're already paying for your phone monthly and likely trading it in. In other words, there is no difference to how most people treat their phones and pay for them.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I buy all of our Apple products out right so just keep that as an option without being charged more to do so is all I ask of Apple.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
That’s a good point. I outright bough my iPad mini 6 and Watch S7. But did I? I bought it by taking advantage of Apple Card with its no interest payments of 12 months on the iPad, 24 months on the S7. So I am, in effect, renting/leasing it with a final purchase clause based on making all the payments (one missed payment and they’re in activation lock :) ).
Imho the lease option is overdue. It’s a better option for some but not for many. Either way, there is No chance Apple wouldn’t allow outright purchase. Even any leasing they offer would likely have optional purchase clause at end of lease. Well ok, I suppose there is a chance they’d go all leasing == but that would be based on Tim Cook losing his mind and wanting to substantially reduce the amount of Apple’s earnings.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

If it's an opt-in service for people who can't or don't want to otherwise pay the Apple tax upfront to use/own the device, then sure, cool program. More buying options are always a good thing. But this website and CNET (and a few others) are suggesting this may be the only way to use/buy iPhones and I'm not okay with that. I guess we'll find out later this year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2