Scribble - Not Great for Foreign Languages

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Scribble was one of the new features that I was looking forward to most.
After trying hard to make it work for me, I eventually had to surrender.
My native language is German, and only 2 of 5 words are being recognized correctly. Example:

"Die neue" (the new) == scribble converts into "die neve".
I tried everything. Small u, large U, VERY LARGE U, very round U, standalone U, etc.etc. All turned into v.
And, by the way, there is no word "neve" in German, nor in English, afaik.

There are more examples but I don't want to go into too deep detail here.

Also, I got the impression that word recognition does not refer to the active keyboard language, but maybe English only, or both English and the 2nd language. But I'm not sure about that. In most cases, it tries to find an English word. I did not find an option to explicitly select the desired language.

I was not able to produce even one correct sentence by use of scribble, which left me extremely disappointed.

I also could not make scribble work in Telegram at all. The little pencil sign "A" showed, but no pencil input was accepted in the input field. This might be an app thing - but I thought scribble was a system wide feature?

So with regrets, I have to say, for me, in the current status, the scribble feature is not usable at all. I very much hope for improvements to arrive soon.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Geez.
Was that widely known and I just overlooked it?
I read a lot before iPad OS 14 got released, and that never came to my attention.
Seems like us foreigners will have to wait a little longer.....

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how widely known it is.

I know that Canadian French Tech media I follow never mentioned Scribble as an iPadOS 14 feature. And that’s probably because it is not supported.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
OK so I have to apologize for not having realized or overlooked the absence of support for certain languages.
However, the issue with converting all Us into Vs remains imho, as this is not related to any language.
Also, the issue I discovered when trying to use it in Telegram is not language related. Maybe app related, as I stated, but an indication for the feature not being perfect yet (understandable for a V1 and very early app support).
And may this thread at least serve as useful information for others who face scribble troubles, and who also may have overlooked the support announcement(s).