scared to switch to iphone

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
i think apple only gives me 14 days. i've had the 13 for almost a day and not loving it. i wish the pro were available. as i understand it the pro is higher build quality. anyway i knew there would be growing pains but this might be too much. it seems like all the things i was used to doing in android i need an app to do on iOS. i'll give it another day or two and see if i warm to it. thanks!!

I got my 13 Pro Max yesterday and I have until January 8th to return it

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
i think apple only gives me 14 days. i've had the 13 for almost a day and not loving it. i wish the pro were available. as i understand it the pro is higher build quality. anyway i knew there would be growing pains but this might be too much. it seems like all the things i was used to doing in android i need an app to do on iOS. i'll give it another day or two and see if i warm to it. thanks!!

Fair enough, at least you have time to test before returning it. What exactly is making things more difficult transitioning from Android? If you’re completely dependent on Google Apps then yea for sure it’ll be difficult, that was a major hurdle I had to get over coming to iOS. I’m just curious what apps are standard on android but require apps on iOS to make things function as you want? I know you mentioned build quality of pro but if you don’t like the OS doubt it’ll make that much of a difference

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
i have only ever owned apple computers. but i have never had an iphone. i went from blackberry to android for various reasons and never looked back (or over)...

now, i am going off to travel for a year or two and i want a phone with esim capability. so i am tempted to finally try iphone. what worries me is the inability to customize or tweak the phone to my liking. or i should say seeming inability since i've never had an iphone. this is mostly a concern with the camera. my android has a 'manual' camera option built in. i can adjust white balance, exposure and even manually focus. my understanding of iphones is you can press and hold on the screen to adjust brightness and that's it. i know they have great cameras, but i don't want the phone making all the decisions. also, the gent at the apple store told me all my photos would be cloud based meaning i can't show someone my photos unless i am connected to wifi?!? anyway before dropping a grand on a new phone i guess i'm looking for some reassurances. thanks in advance!

also because i am pressed for time, it seems the 13 is the only option for me. the 13 max is too big and the pro isn't available until december.
I switch back and forth all the time it's not a big deal at all. Kinda like the change of operating systems every once in awhile.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Well if your on a Mac I’m assuming you have an Apple ID already with data so I recommend at least the 256GB option or larger to also get the 4K option on the camera

If you get the Pro Max you will thank yourself later

That stigma you can’t do certain things is an Android user talking point. With Shortcuts and the extreme jailbreak option that you will never use. Everything is possible

I was a webOS addict who switched to iPhone with similar Fears till I smelled the walled Garden and the security that’s iOS supplies

You have a nano chance of disappointment

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The biggest difference is that Android is a faster OS compared to iPhone. I can breeze through my s21 super easy not like on my 13 mini which is much slower. Also customization is better on Android.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The biggest difference is that Android is a faster OS compared to iPhone. I can breeze through my s21 super easy not like on my 13 mini which is much slower. Also customization is better on Android.

Not really, unless you turn off animations on android, which you can also do on iOS.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My kid had to use my s21 for a day and he was surprised how fast it was compared to his iPhone.

Was animations turned off on s21 and not the iPhone?

I ask because if you don’t the animation is pretty choppy on the s21.

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough, at least you have time to test before returning it. What exactly is making things more difficult transitioning from Android? If you’re completely dependent on Google Apps then yea for sure it’ll be difficult, that was a major hurdle I had to get over coming to iOS. I’m just curious what apps are standard on android but require apps on iOS to make things function as you want? I know you mentioned build quality of pro but if you don’t like the OS doubt it’ll make that much of a difference

after a week (and adding a pixel 6 to the competition) i am now leaning back towards android. i much prefer the size and design of the iphone. but having to do things apple's way instead of adjusting the phone to my way feels counterintuitive.

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Well if your on a Mac I’m assuming you have an Apple ID already with data so I recommend at least the 256GB option or larger to also get the 4K option on the camera

If you get the Pro Max you will thank yourself later

That stigma you can’t do certain things is an Android user talking point. With Shortcuts and the extreme jailbreak option that you will never use. Everything is possible

I was a webOS addict who switched to iPhone with similar Fears till I smelled the walled Garden and the security that’s iOS supplies

You have a nano chance of disappointment

i reached disappointment. perhaps the 13 pro would have had a stronger appeal. but they're not available until mid december. and i'm leaving the US again end of november.

i loved the size of the iphone, but i didn't love having to pick up my phone to check for missed calls or messages. AOD (always on display) on android is a key feature. also there's no simple way to lock a picture or video on iphone. i only saw "hidden" as an option. i'm sure there's an app for that. but i got the sense that i would be downloading a bunch of apps to do what androids have built in. anyway i haven't given up on the iphone completely, but i am leaning towards the pixel now.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
No they are on.

I don’t know, iOS looks much smoother than Samsung.

https://twitter.com/universeice/status/1429651051087470594?s=21

All the comments from Samsung fans are to switch of animations.

2b610dd2162dd30c137a734fc8081010.png

He is an s21 ultra user by the way, a bit weird since he has nothing but praise for the iPhones animations, especially the iPhone 13 pro max

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
i reached disappointment. perhaps the 13 pro would have had a stronger appeal. but they're not available until mid december. and i'm leaving the US again end of november.

i loved the size of the iphone, but i didn't love having to pick up my phone to check for missed calls or messages. AOD (always on display) on android is a key feature. also there's no simple way to lock a picture or video on iphone. i only saw "hidden" as an option. i'm sure there's an app for that. but i got the sense that i would be downloading a bunch of apps to do what androids have built in. anyway i haven't given up on the iphone completely, but i am leaning towards the pixel now.

Very understandable

I had to wait a Month for my Pro Max to arrive

AOD is a no no for me I keep my iPhone on show Preview when unlocked and Face ID on attention with a 5 time iMessage audio alert with some contacts set to persistent.

It sounds like you need an App for That but it’s really not the case most of the time. iPhone customers tend to keep there new device on Default in stead of going thru Settings where most personal options are a toggle away

I’m unsure what you mean by locking a photo or video??

The Pixel Pro is awesome that’s what I would get if I was an Android user. Powerful Tensor Chip and great camera as well as superb Hand Modeling

Elegant and Powerful

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Very understandable

I had to wait a Month for my Pro Max to arrive

AOD is a no no for me I keep my iPhone on show Preview when unlocked and Face ID on attention with a 5 time iMessage audio alert with some contacts set to persistent.

It sounds like you need an App for That but it’s really not the case most of the time. iPhone customers tend to keep there new device on Default in stead of going thru Settings where most personal options are a toggle away

I’m unsure what you mean by locking a photo or video??

The Pixel Pro is awesome that’s what I would get if I was an Android user. Powerful Tensor Chip and great camera as well as superb Hand Modeling

Elegant and Powerful

thank you for this.

well after deciding to return my 13 i made one last ditch effort to find a PRO and seem to have miraculously succeeded. i am going to pick it up in glendale now. i am hoping the pro feels better and takes better pictures. and i'll continue using the pixel 6 at the same time. it's a shame i can't use both simultaneously. but alas i only have one SIM.

what i meant by locking photos and videos is putting a password on things i don't want someone to see when they're swiping through my photos.

pro and max are too big for me. the reason i am still considering iphone over android which i'm already invested in is the size of the phone.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
thank you for this.

well after deciding to return my 13 i made one last ditch effort to find a PRO and seem to have miraculously succeeded. i am going to pick it up in glendale now. i am hoping the pro feels better and takes better pictures. and i'll continue using the pixel 6 at the same time. it's a shame i can't use both simultaneously. but alas i only have one SIM.

what i meant by locking photos and videos is putting a password on things i don't want someone to see when they're swiping through my photos.

pro and max are too big for me. the reason i am still considering iphone over android which i'm already invested in is the size of the phone.

Glad you are able to try the 13 Pro and I know we all gravitate to our preferred size. I was a four inch iPhone man till I got my X and now the Max is all I need

Yes iOS dropped the ball on the photo app since way back. I don’t like the catch all camera roll as I have Albums set up for all types of photos but still carry them in the heap. What I do is send my secret photos to Files and hide them there

I would like to know your review after you get back

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
thank you for this.

I really hope that it works well for you!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh