Safari: Stop reloading my pages!

tom_12345

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Every month I almost reach my maximum on my data plan & this is one of the reason. Because of that I will also swap all my Apple products for something else. Not sure to what yet, need to do some research. To bad I like everything else about it.

WillyGr

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I agree with all of you, it makes me sick to see that Safari reloads any page, if i go to another tab for more than five seconds. Safari totally ****s up my surfing data and i hate it at that point that i will not buy an iPad again once i'm through with this one...

Gerard Egan

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi, Same problem for me for past few days on Safari, running on my iMac. My gmail page just kept reloading every few seconds.

Fix:
I have now removed some recently installed Safari extensions (widgets bar, duckduckgo, gmail counter) and it appears to be stable now...for the past few hours... Hope this helps

Ger

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
For everyone that thinks its a RAM issue I don't think more RAM fixes this. Its seems to be the way Apple freezes things in the background and not actually let them run in the background. That's why other apps will do the same thing, because it was basically "paused" in the background they refresh when you come back to them. 1gb RAM would be fine if apple would run the tabs live in the background at least while the app is still in the foreground but freezing the tab and the refreshing it when you come back is the worst way to handle this, but hey at least 8.2 has the watch integration :(

erieside

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I have also been having this problem since about the last four safari updates. I didn't have this problem until right after one of the updates. I've tried the fixes mentioned to no avail. Apple needs to fix this.

ardentdove

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here. When i still used iphone 5 with 32Gb memory this never happens. I just switch to iphone 6 with 128Gb, then ever single app in my phone keeps reloading including every safari tab. Pleasee someone give me a solution

usedberry

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
It seems not a problem with my phone. I opened about 8 tabs in Safari yesterday (about 15 hours back) and minimised the safari clicking the home button, just checked and none of the web pages reloaded. They retained their scrolled position as well.
I'm running iOS 8.3 on iPhone 5c: Not Jailbroken.

Note: I had never performed a clean restore since buying the phone about 14 months ago and probably because of that i was seeing only 2.5 gb space available when i should have had about 5 gb available so i set up my phone as new using iTunes on my computer 15 days back and that fixed the problem giving me 7 gb free space after installing all the apps i had previously. So may be that clean restore also fixed some other problems.
But yes, my iPod touch 5th generation seems to reload web pages as you all have mentioned so i guess low ram could be a problem there. It never did when was on iOS 6 and 7.
Just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
This issue is going to be different for different people. It all depends on your web viewing habits. Web pages use a TON of RAM these days, so this will almost always be a RAM issue. For users that browse basic looking webpages like Reddit, Google, etc, you'll be able to have many tabs open since they don't use that much RAM.

But a site like iMore, for example uses 350mb of RAM in a desktop browser. It would use a similar amount on iOS as well. Just think about that...you open 2 sites designed like iMore and you've eaten most of your RAM. Obviously iOS has some facilities built in to offload the RAM requirements, but web browsing has still become extremely RAM heavy over the past couple years.

This is very likely why Apple has started including 2GB of RAM in newer iDevices.

mormegil27

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I also have this problem. Has anyone else found a solution? (Beyond what is already suggested) I note that I have an additional issue, where the keypad sometimes does not type in real time (ie what appears on screen is delayed, including the keys showing activation).

I'm sure the keypad issue must be low memory, but the reload issue seems suspect. Why don't sites I'm signed onto keep me signed on after reload? I can close tabs on my desktop and reopen them and I'm still signed on. I have been logged out of sites in Safari while STILL browsing the page I'm logged onto (ie I haven't switched tabs, it just suddenly changes my sign in). If I change tabs, this is a guaranteed log out and the other tab always reloads, even if I change only for 1 sec of time and then switch back.

Edit: forgot to say, yes, I'm aware of the "keep me signed in" button. It signs you out regardless.

My ipad mini is the only device I have where this happens. I understand that things must be loaded in memory to run, but seriously, this is 2015, if 1GB is so little you can't even run a browser with more than 1 tab, what is Apple doing? They are sitting on more money than the value of the Russian stock market, maybe they should invest that into a little more RAM and make their products useable. My device is less than 2 years old, do they have zero QC and can't even run a simple future proof analysis?

Last edited:

mormegil27

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I tested it with some timed runs. The typical time is after 3 seconds it will reload if you switch back, though it is a little hard to get precision since most pages take longer than 3 sec to load. It is also worse with three tabs than with two. The three sites were this one, ConsumerReports, and Lowes.

mormegil27

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I have confirmed that my iPhone 6 does not do this. It does leave me wondering whether Apple codes in "break device" software, where the OS checks what your hardware is, and if it is too old it changes the functionality to push into upgrading. My mini's Safari started doing this after an upgrade (like someone else said), it had not done it originally.

alwinder

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I realize this is happening for years now,I just updated to the latest iOS 8.4 and the problem still here,I tried all the "fixes" from the the forums and from the internet at large,still doing it.....
I would appreciate any information that might prove to be useful
Thanks

Alberto

Mattias Stein

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Despite the Trolls trying to make it a memory issue or that 'one should upgrade to fix the problem' (where the hell do these Trolls come from). I totally agree woth OP on this subject. Ever since iphone 4 with ios5 and now 4s with ios7 this safari problem persists. It's like Apple never heard of webpage caching before. Or Apple tries to help carriers earn more c$ching. Already paid dearly for the phone. Then the monthly plan. Then one has to put up with the itunes shyt and other limitations. Shure iphone 4(s) looked nice to me. Shure you can do enough if one's not too demanding( I was one of them I just put up with the weird software bs that's all til now). Now it's gotten to a point where I say bye ye to Apple.shyt
Like Nike it's just not what it used to be. They just don't. In 2015 apples software dept still messes around like toys. F em.

landrymd

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Don't tell me this is a RAM issue. I have 13 GB free on my iPad, no other apps running. It only started happening when I upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS 8. On the iPad, any web page that I have to log in to (FB, bank, broker) reloads and logs me out if I leave to use another tab. The idea that it's the web page doesn't fly either. I use a Windows PC on the same pages, it doesn't happen.

landrymd

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Holy Moly! I thought it was all shared memory, sorry, new to Apple and iOS. Is there any kind of workaround? On PC's I use an edited host file, blocks annoying advertising, speeds up web browsing, blocks suspicious web sites (there's no place like 127.0.0.1). I was blissfully ignorant using iOS 6.x. Other than cracking open my iPad and adding RAM or tossing my iPad 2 for a newer iPad, any ideas?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Holy Moly! I thought it was all shared memory, sorry, new to Apple and iOS. Is there any kind of workaround? On PC's I use an edited host file, blocks annoying advertising, speeds up web browsing, blocks suspicious web sites (there's no place like 127.0.0.1). I was blissfully ignorant using iOS 6.x. Other than cracking open my iPad and adding RAM or tossing my iPad 2 for a newer iPad, any ideas?

Nope. The iPad is a sealed device, not hardware-upgradable. You literally get what you pay for.

IIRC, the original iPad had 256MB of RAM, the iPad 2 has 512MB (.5GB), the iPad 3 (iPad with Retina) bumped to 1GB (probably to support the higher display resolution) and there it remained until the iPad Air 2 which doubled the RAM to 2GB, and is the only one that supports active multitasking as a result.

nikokazaa

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi,that's right, Safari reloads tabs more or less everytime but, although tabs reloads, the others applications (previously opened) still remain in RAM, thus i think that iOS give priority to apps and rather to kill the main applications (like WhatsApp, Contacts, etc. or whatever) to make space in RAM for tabs, kills directly the tabs. Thus i think that a RAM problem management, because if Real Racing 3 runs with 1GB and the system too, in normal use (g.e Safari navigation) there's enough RAM to manage at least 4/5 tabs without reload them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien