rMBP charging problem

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
So my retina MacBook Pro has had a charging problem for awhile now. Maybe half the time I charge it will not charge, the led light on the charger doesn't come on at all.

I have to continually unplug it and plug it back in until it starts charging. It works fine after that. Sometimes it has no issues charging whatsoever.

I took it to an apple store a few months ago and the couldn't replicate the issue, so he gave me a new extender for my charger to see if that worked. It didn't and I took it back in finally yesterday

I recorded it doing it so I would have proof since it doesn't do it always. Of course it worked fine yesterday and the employee watched the video but said he found nothing wrong.

He wouldn't give me a new charger because he didn't think that would fix it, also he didn't think it needed repaired yet either. He said he would not my account again and next time they could send it in for repairs. Of course when I get home it happens again.

So I guess my question is has anyone else had this issue or know of a solution?

The tech did tell me how to reset SMC I believe. I hit shift, control, option and this actually gets my charger to start working, I find it rather strange it works find like that.

I'm still under warranty for another month, so I'll probably send it in but don't have to go back to an apple store or can I contact via internet/phone and ship it out?

Ideas on what they will do, replace, fix or what?

Mine is in perfect condition and I worry that it will get scratched up when I get it back, I swear they bang it on the table when they put it down of the Genius Bar. Lol

Thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you know for certain that you are not having electrical issues in your home, then I recommend you take it to Apple to get repaired while it is still under warranty.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If you know for certain that you are not having electrical issues in your home, then I recommend you take it to Apple to get repaired while it is still under warranty.

Yeah I took it to them twice so far and they have yet to fix it. I moved recently and it still does it.

One of the videos I took for them was from an airport, lol.

Just hoping I can actually get them to fix it since they haven't yet.

Peter Cohen

iMore staff
Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I'll tell you what I tell everyone else - get AppleCare. It'll cost you more than the cost of AppleCare the first time you need to get that thing serviced out of warranty, and it extends the warranty for another two years.