ringtone help please

vickie62*

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I am trying to solve a problem neither my dad nor I can figure out..help me look good please :p

Mum has an iphone, and has purchased a couple of ringtones from itunes. they have been stored in her library on itunes in the music folder, but I cannot get them to drag and drop into the ringtones folder.

When I hooked the phone upto her laptop (sync usually done on pc) i noticed that they hadnt got the sync ringtones box checked so I dont know if thats got anything to do with it, but I cant see why that would interfere with my juggling music around in the library.

I am assuming that having bought them from itunes they are in the correct format.

any help would be great... thanks

vickie62*

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I am assuming that its up to date...it was updated in the Apple shop a few weeks ago, and he told me that file extensions needed to be .m4r but I am assuming that if you have downloaded a ringtone from itunes it would be in the correct format to begin with?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Of course it has to have the sync ringtone box checked. If you don't tell it to sync the ringtones...it won't.

vickie62*

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
i didnt want it to sync it yet... I cant even get it into the ringtones folder. I dont see why i would have to have the box ticked on the iphone when I can manage the library on itunes when the phone isnt even connected. I will stress about getting the thing to sync when I have got the right songs into the right folders.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
On my pc, the ringtones are all located in my Documents folder, subfolder iPhone ringtones, if that helps.

DainBramage1

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I do have a folder where I store ringtones (PC) but I don't see anywhere that iTunes knows to look there (which I prefer). I just drag the .m4r files I want to use from the folder into iTunes and re-sync.

DainBramage1

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I am assuming that its up to date...it was updated in the Apple shop a few weeks ago, and he told me that file extensions needed to be .m4r but I am assuming that if you have downloaded a ringtone from itunes it would be in the correct format to begin with?

I dunno... that's too many assumptions for my taste. :rolleyes: You can check what version of the OS you're running in Settings/General/About/Version. I'm running 3.1.2, but think I had to start using .m4r since 3.0 or so.

vickie62*

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
in itunes, you have your library...and then you have subfolders one of which is ringtones... I was told in the apple shop, that in order to be able to use something as a ringtone, it has to be in .m4r format, and it has to be in the ringtones folder. Dad bought a couple of ringtones from itunes, and they have been added to the library, but in the music folder, rather than the ringtones folder. Its difficult cos its not my phone..if it was I would mess about with it and to hell with the consiquences...lol... but as its my mums, and on my dads pc, i really need to have a clue before I start messing too much. Also it means I cant just get on and play with it whenever I get a new idea or bit of advice... unfortunately... :(
I will try hitting the sync button, and see if that helps first... failing that, I am gonna be back begging for more ideas... :) thanks for the help so far everyone

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Tell him not to purchase any more ringtones - no need to ever do that. Download the free app iRinger. It not only creates your ringtones, but puts them in the proper place so that all you have to do is sync, and you're in business.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73