Ridiculous things heard about Watch

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Just a few minutes ago I was listening to Virgin Radio Toronto. They were talking about a new piece of "news". About the Watch and wrist tattoos. The radio hosts proceeded to say that a wrist tattoo will prevent the watch from getting notifications or from apps working correctly because the watch can't monitor a heartbeat. I know iMore reported on this already and although I didn't read it I can surmise that the heart monitor would be the only thing affected. How would that affect apps from working or the watch from getting notifications? Then the host went on to say I feel like "if Steve Jobs weren't around?" stop me if you heard this before. I just cringed and switched the channel. I feel like ***** announcers shouldn't be able to talk about things they know nothing about on air. It's misleading to a whole bunch of listeners who are now going to raise a stink whether or not they have wrist tattoos.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The media will lie. Period. As long as it gets them temporary ratings, they will say anything about anything... True or not.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree with what you've stated. Rene brought up this topic on a podcast, too, regarding individuals that write news articles. I'm guessing fact checking and integrity are a thing of the past. :concern:

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
It's totally possible in theory that losing 'contact' to skin would be like taking the watch off. But it's an edge case. This person probably has some other life trade offs (some don't make sense) and the watch is possibly just one more. I doubt anyone would regret tattoos because of the watch. Blaming/making hay with Apple for not catering to the double wrist tattooed community is kind of a stretch IMO.
It's also conceivable that a software update could behave better in this situation minus whatever features benefit from complete contact from skin such as heart rate and pin code supported features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The media will lie. Period. As long as it gets them temporary ratings, they will say anything about anything... True or not.

I agree with what you've stated. Rene brought up this topic on a podcast, too, regarding individuals that write news articles. I'm guessing fact checking and integrity are a thing of the past. :concern:
It is such a shame though because if you think about it. The radio hosts are giving "news", in their case I use the term loosely, for the benefit of their listeners. This doesn't benefit the listeners if it's incorrect. So really if you're willing to put ratings over the benefit of what your job is supposed to be that is a sad, sad thing.

This vid shows how other features may be affected by tattoos.
http://youtu.be/3K-16OIjnYA

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
I will have to watch this as well I have the iMore article open to read later. I'm sure I will have friends and family asking me now.

lexic

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sick of the stories that are stating tattoos make the watch a no go. I have *zero* issues with mine. Some people have issues. This does not mean all people do or will. iMore seems to have the most reasonable coverage of the topic. Has any other site even tried to test this before reporting?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sick of the stories that are stating tattoos make the watch a no go. I have *zero* issues with mine. Some people have issues. This does not mean all people do or will. iMore seems to have the most reasonable coverage of the topic. Has any other site even tried to test this before reporting?

Here's the thing I don't know if it's because I grew up in a third world country(island) or it's because I'm from an older generation. There seems to be this whole attitude now of accepting no responsibility. I don't have a wrist tatoo but you know what if I did I don't expect Apple to change the laws of F'ing reality. If certain features of the watch don't work then I would either a) not buy it or b) do without the feature. It's not like the Watch is the only smartwatch on the market. I see this all the time with friends who bring me their busted a$$ laptop asking me to fix it. I ask "Do you have any backups?" they look at me like I have a third eye. Why would they do backups the software is built in to both Windows and Mac OS but why should they need to know that right? I see people all the time with broken screens on phones and it's the same attitude. They act as if it's unthinkable that the screen broke. Put a case on it if you dont' want the screen to break. What is the usual response "I don't like how bulky it is". Well then pay the money and STFU.

lexic

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Here's the thing I don't know if it's because I grew up in a third world country(island) or it's because I'm from an older generation. There seems to be this whole attitude now of accepting no responsibility. I don't have a wrist tatoo but you know what if I did I don't expect Apple to change the laws of F'ing reality. If certain features of the watch don't work then I would either a) not buy it or b) do without the feature. It's not like the Watch is the only smartwatch on the market. I see this all the time with friends who bring me their busted a$$ laptop asking me to fix it. I ask "Do you have any backups?" they look at me like I have a third eye. Why would they do backups the software is built in to both Windows and Mac OS but why should they need to know that right? I see people all the time with broken screens on phones and it's the same attitude. They act as if it's unthinkable that the screen broke. Put a case on it if you dont' want the screen to break. What is the usual response "I don't like how bulky it is". Well then pay the money and STFU.

Agree. Not sure your age, but I'm in my 40s and agree that it might be a generational thing.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
It's totally possible in theory that losing 'contact' to skin would be like taking the watch off. But it's an edge case. This person probably has some other life trade offs (some don't make sense) and the watch is possibly just one more. I doubt anyone would regret tattoos because of the watch. Blaming/making hay with Apple for not catering to the double wrist tattooed community is kind of a stretch IMO.
It's also conceivable that a software update could behave better in this situation minus whatever features benefit from complete contact from skin such as heart rate and pin code supported features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regretting getting a tattoo because a watch comes out is hilarious. Especially when there are so many legitimate reasons to regret getting a tattoo haha.

I wouldn't give up any of my tattoos for an apple watch or any tech that doesn't last a lifetime like a tattoo does.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Agree. Not sure your age, but I'm in my 40s and agree that it might be a generational thing.
32 :D

Regretting getting a tattoo because a watch comes out is hilarious. Especially when there are so many legitimate reasons to regret getting a tattoo haha.

I wouldn't give up any of my tattoos for an apple watch or any tech that doesn't last a lifetime like a tattoo does.

Same I love my tats and if I did have one on my wrist then I'd either just not use the feature or not get the watch.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Same I love my tats and if I did have one on my wrist then I'd either just not use the feature or not get the watch.
I partly agree with you, but people complaining do have a point... It's not at all intuitive that having a tattoo would prevent you from being able to use Apple Pay. Apple needs to be clear about the limitations of the device, and then people can make their own decisions.

(For those who didn't watch the video above, the watch biometrically identifies the person wearing it via heart rate, and so you can't use Apple Pay if it can't read the HR.)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I partly agree with you, but people complaining do have a point... It's not at all intuitive that having a tattoo would prevent you from being able to use Apple Pay. Apple needs to be clear about the limitations of the device, and then people can make their own decisions.

(For those who didn't watch the video above, the watch biometrically identifies the person wearing it via heart rate, and so you can't use Apple Pay if it can't read the HR.)

I would agree with you if there wasn't a 15 day return period. The thing to consider is I'm sure there are many edge cases where the features of the watch don't work. If Apple was to list all the possible combinations that would become very tedious. So it's pretty quick that an owner would figure out it doesn't work and send it back.

essay2u

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site

I didn't know the watch identifies you biometrically for Apple pay. I did watch the video above but feel like I'm missing something. Why do I need a password if it's on my wrist? Especially given it can identify you biometrically. What am I not getting?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I didn't know the watch identifies you biometrically for Apple pay. I did watch the video above but feel like I'm missing something. Why do I need a password if it's on my wrist? Especially given it can identify you biometrically. What am I not getting?

When you put it on and you key in your passcode it authenticates you as the user. Then as long as you the watch stays in contact with your skin then it knows that you are the authenticated user. It doesn't authenticate you biometrically just through the sensors making contact with your skin. So if there was no passcode then anyone could pick up your watch slap it on and use your apple pay.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
When you put it on and you key in your passcode it authenticates you as the user. Then as long as you the watch stays in contact with your skin then it knows that you are the authenticated user. It doesn't authenticate you biometrically just through the sensors making contact with your skin. So if there was no passcode then anyone could pick up your watch slap it on and use your apple pay.

Yes, you explained it better than my hurried explanation. Thanks Ipheuria. Exactly - the watch uses biometrics to determine that you haven't taken it off since you last put in your passcode. In the video linked above, you can see the tattooed user having to type in the passcode over and over again since the watch keeps believing it is off. This leads to the other problem, that you won't get notifications since when the watch believes it is not being worn.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There's too much ignorance out there at this time. In time, even most of the media will get it right. Or they should.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, you explained it better than my hurried explanation. Thanks Ipheuria. Exactly - the watch uses biometrics to determine that you haven't taken it off since you last put in your passcode. In the video linked above, you can see the tattooed user having to type in the passcode over and over again since the watch keeps believing it is off. This leads to the other problem, that you won't get notifications since when the watch believes it is not being worn.

OK now I could see how the notifications issue comes up because of the tatoo.

cody

May 17, 2006
Visit site
Yesterday I was told that the watched was powered by the persons heart rate and that those with tattoos would have to charge with a power charger that wasn't included. LOL

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday I was told that the watched was powered by the persons heart rate and that those with tattoos would have to charge with a power charger that wasn't included. LOL

:confused: lol thanks for the best laugh I've had all day.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73