Review: World Travelpedia All-In-One, by Parkour Lab

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
[URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id492080066?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]World Travelpedia ? All In One[/URL], by Parkour Lab (universal binary)
$23.99, ***

Pros:
? Huge database of attractions and locations to visit when travelling
? Separated based on a variety of categories

Cons:
? Doesn?t link to online resources
? Doesn?t provide directions to visit locations

So if you are travelling somewhere, one of the biggest questions is ?what can I do when I get there?. What sights are there, what attractions are there, what restaurants are there, etc. World Travelpedia is an app that tries to help you out with this problem (and admittedly, it is a good problem to have!).

Photo May 29, 3 52 57 PM.png
Figure 1 - Cities from around the world are represented in the database.

World Travelpedia All-In-One boasts having hundreds of thousands of different locations to help guide your travel options. They indicate they have over 50,000+ restaurants, 30,000+ shopping locations, 50,000+ sights, and more. Just quickly looking through the app, these do not appear to be idle boasts. You can select from a list of top locations or cities, or you can brose a continent, country, and find the city you are interested in. You can also use GPS to find either locations (sights, restaurants, museums, etc.) near you, or find indexed cities near you.

Photo May 29, 3 52 04 PM.png
Figure 2 - A huge number of location types and categories.

Once you find a location, you can browse the extensive listings. The are broken down into sights (with other 30 different categories), restaurants (with over 100 different cuisine types), shopping (with over 100 different types of stores/locations), and nightlife (with over 80 different types). For example, in the sights, they list things like buildings, art, galleries, museums, bridges, statues, stadiums, aquariums, and more. In short, they try to make it as easy as possible to find a specific type of attraction or location.

Photo May 29, 3 52 39 PM.png
Figure 3 - Includes detailed (for some locations) information about the location of interest.

Now certainly there are holes in their database. For example, the town where I am has two museums, and there is a zoo located about 60 miles away. None of these appears in the ?near me? option, so it looks like their database is limited to major metropolitan areas. In addition, the database does not list all the options within the specific city. I know this because I am sure there are more than 4 seafood restaurants in New York City, or more than one blues bar. So the data, while rather exhaustive, does have its limits.

Photo May 29, 3 54 11 PM.png
Figure 4 - The city map includes pins for the different locations of interest.

Once you have narrowed your search field down, you can click on the specific location you are interested in. The app gives you the address, the phone number, the best for of transport (such as subway or bus stop), and a brief introduction. The introduction varies from one sentence for some locations to a full descriptive paragraph for others. When appropriate, the app also provides admission or meal price (no listing if stores as ?expensive? or not for shopping. It also provides hours and a link to the website if the location (store, sight, or restaurant) has one.

Photo May 29, 3 53 48 PM.png
Figure 5 - Specific locations don't have reviews, or directions how to get there from your current location.

This is the biggest point at which the app falls apart for me. In the description, you can click on a map to see the location (and you can zoom in and out) but it doesn?t provide any direction to the location ? there is just a blue marker where the address is, and a pin (if you have zoomed out far enough) where you are. It is up to you to find the way there. Now, if you can read a map, you can certainly do that, but it would be just as easy to allow a person to automatically go into the Maps app to find walking, driving, or public transport directions. In addition, the app doesn?t provide any reviews or information about the location beyond the description. It would be beneficial to provide Yelp reviews for restaurants, or link to Trip Advisor reviews for sightseeing activities. While you can click on the location link for an outside website, there aren?t any options to help you make a decision based on reviews or other people?s commentary. Again, you can probably look into up once you identify a location, but the app should be able to do it for you.

The app is expensive, but periodically goes on sale for free, so if you plan to travel and can get it when it is free, go ahead and purchase it. Otherwise, I would invest in a more localized options specific to where you plan to go. This is a universal app, although the images and review is based on the iPhone interface.

All in all, World Travelpedia All-In-One seems to be an app that is half complete. While it boasts a huge database of locations, there are clear instances where some locations are missing or incomplete. In addition, besides providing a brief description and an over view map, the app doesn?t help you get there (via directions) or provide reviews of any kind. For the price ($23.99) this seems to be a clear omission. Because of this, I can only give the app three out of five stars.

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. Please comment on these reviews. All opinions expressed in this review are precisely that ? opinions. You may agree or disagree. If you own the app, tell me what your opinion is. If the review prompted you to buy (or not buy) the app, let me know why. If you want more information about the app, go ahead and ask.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2